Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Titanoboa

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned before. Perhaps the tooth marks were only spotted after they had started making the documentary so could not shift the focus ubder such short notice.

Yeah, and like I said, it was Titanoboa's show XD

Speaking of the croc, here's a site: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17544885 in which the scientist mentions that they found (in Cerrejón) not only Titanoboa and giant turtles, but "the largest crocodiles in the fossil record" which I guess refers to the croc from the show. It certainly looked huge but still, that claim is impressive if we consider how huge Deinosuchus, Purussaurus, Sarcosuchus and company grew up :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Watching it now on 4OD, its a BIG snake :eek:

Surpirsed its up already its normally a day before things go up, available for next 30 days if anyone else missed it and wants to see.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-worlds-largest-snake/4od#3334341

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Speaking of the croc, here's a site: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17544885 in which the scientist mentions that they found (in Cerrejón) not only Titanoboa and giant turtles, but "the largest crocodiles in the fossil record" which I guess refers to the croc from the show. It certainly looked huge but still, that claim is impressive if we consider how huge Deinosuchus, Purussaurus, Sarcosuchus and company grew up :O

Hmm, I'll take the 'biggest' claims with a pinch of salt. There are some epically huge crocs on the fossil record. It'd take something special to dislodge them/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

So, since we already had a thread about Titanoboa almost as long as the snake itself, I didn´t want to start a new one :B

Seems a new study will be published soon about this beauty, and its very different to what we expected. Far from eating giant crocodiles and turtles, it is very possible that it was feeding mostly on fish, as suggested by new remains including parts of the skull and teeth that are very similar to those of specialized fish-eating snakes nowadays.
    The fact that large fish such as lungfish and arowana/arapaima relatives have been found in the same sites suggests that it was probably not so much a giant anaconda or blood python kind of thing, like we speculated here, but more like a tentacled snake or an elephant-trunk snake- that is, a highly aquatic (maybe completely so? I hope they address this in the paper) piscivorous snake.

The study also suggests a lenght of about 14.3 meters for Titanoboa, with a skull about 40 cms long, and it was apparently more closely related to Madagascan and Pacific island boas than to anacondas or other New World boids.

Thought you'd like to know :B

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well zog it anyway! Better ad that to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

You compare it to Hydracos then? LOL LOL

Sorry*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Josip007

Damn, Titanoboa was huge.Wouldn't like to see one in person tbh :D

Advertisement