Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

cambridge wrote: »

I'll call you anything you want love, a rose by any other name. For all your courage you can't even confirm or deny you're contesting the elections. That's the kind of executive mindedness and decisiveness we need in the su. NAWT.

Love? Really? Trying to get me riled up so that I confess my election/nomination plans? If you knew me, you would know that I have no problem in telling people when they ask.

I am not seeking nomination to the education or presidential offices in the upcoming election.

I have been interested in running for the position of welfare officer since I was a first year student (a well known fact and the one which most rumours have sprung from over the years). Although I would love to hold the position there are a lot of factors to consider. At the start of the semester I gave myself a deadline to decide whether I wanted to run or not. That deadline is approaching, and when I decide I shall let you know.

I am aware that I have neither confirmed nor denied whether I plan to seek election or not. I hope you will not think of this as an inability to make decisions. I am in the process of making an informed decision and do not plan to rush that decision just because some boy calls me "love".
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I here Martin Kehoe of 1st year Aero Eng, who already has a degree in Materials and Construction Technology Education, will be running for ULSU President.
    I'm in one of his project groups and that's the first I've heard of it. Haven't spoken to him in about a week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I heard today that Aoife Kenny is reconsidering going for president and instead is going for another crack at education.

Gonna leave Paddy and Kelly dogfight it out for president apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

horsemeat wrote: »
    I heard today that Aoife Kenny is reconsidering going for president and instead is going for another crack at education.

Would pick Kelly without question. She has done great work this year. Is there meant to be an SU meeting in week 8?

@cambridge hope you'll forgive me for firing some curveballs your way.

1. What political party are you affiliated with?

2. What's your opinion on the legalization of marijuana (slighty OT I know but I like to ask slightly outside of the box questions to get a broader scope of a candidates ideas and beliefs, like to know who I'm voting for, and not whose lollys taste the nicest or whose manifesto is on the most colourful paper)

3. What changes would you make as regards the shops that have closed? I live in cappavilla and it is extremely inconvenient to have to walk twenty minutes at night across the living bridge, not to mind extremely dangerous. The fear of being robbed raped or worse is a pertinent one at the forefront of my mind.

4. As a fourth year student knee deep in my FYP, I feel longer opening hours in the library are necessary, or perhaps a 24 hour reading room like I gather is operated in trinity. How would you orchestrate same?

5. How much are you willing to give up for this job? What are you willing to sacrifice, given that current and previous sabbats have sacrificed secure offers of jobs and travel plans for the union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Will this not just be petty squabbling like what earlier on this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Skyrim wrote: »
    Will this not just be petty squabbling like what earlier on this month?

D'ya reckon? I genuinely don't think this will be the case. But of course, I'm open to correction!

I'd say if there's other candidates in the pres race the two of them will put their differences aside for campaign week. otherwise they could both end up ruining each others campaign and some third party could swoop in to victory.

better to keep the crown amongst enemies or friends alike, rather than let strangers rise to wear the purple robe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frostie22

Long time reader, first time poster. I've 'heard' from sources that the following sabbats are said to be considering running for President:

Aoife Kenny
    Paddy Rockett (Just can't tear himself away from the place)

Bar that, I don't believe any of the current sabbats will run for re-election.

You also have to expect some curve balls for President with the likes of Tony Canning, David Hartery and possibly Lily Carroll running either for President or another position.

I personally believe the next President will be a C&S head

Frostie22 wrote: »
    Long time reader, first time poster. I've 'heard' from sources that the following sabbats are said to be considering running for President:

Aoife Kenny
    Paddy Rockett (Just can't tear himself away from the place)

Bar that, I don't believe any of the current sabbats will run for re-election.

You also have to expect some curve balls for President with the likes of Tony Canning, David Hartery and possibly Lily Carroll running either for President or another position.

I personally believe the next President will be a C&S head

those lot are nothing players, they wouldn't be able to step up to the big leagues I don't think. Canning doesn't have the charisma or charm for an election campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Martin decided to pursue an engineering degree before the end of his first degree. But well done on getting your character bashing outta the way quickly, you can go crawl back under your rock now :)

dropped out of his first degree? Is that the type of person you want to see elected? someone that can't follow through on the convictions? someone who can't even pass a degree. maybe he should have spent less time being a clubs and socs hack and more time studying.
    bambismom wrote: »

I have been interested in running for the position of welfare officer since I was a first year student (a well known fact and the one which most rumours have sprung from over the years). Although I would love to hold the position there are a lot of factors to consider. At the start of the semester I gave myself a deadline to decide whether I wanted to run or not. That deadline is approaching, and when I decide I shall let you know.

I am in the process of making an informed decision and do not plan to rush that decision just because some boy calls me "love".
    :)

I'm no boy. You really give me the impression that you take yourself a bit too seriously, as if welfare is some kind of prophecy you need to fulfil. i'm going to be doing a bit of research on you, i can't make my mind up if you're just another doe eyed naive hack or a legitimate contender.

more like a cat fight i'd say/
    Jester252 wrote: »
    Would pick Kelly without question. She has done great work this year. Is there meant to be an SU meeting in week 8?

i think you're being unfair to rockett. he never tarnished the good name of the su, never sent ridiculous email and never ranted and raved on his blog/facebook.

u not gonna answer my questions cambridge?

dropped out of his first degree? Is that the type of person you want to see elected? someone that can't follow through on the convictions? someone who can't even pass a degree. maybe he should have spent less time being a clubs and socs hack and more time studying.

Do you really think he dropped out? That he couldn't handle it? Engineering is a harder course you clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frostie22

those lot are nothing players, they wouldn't be able to step up to the big leagues I don't think. Canning doesn't have the charisma or charm for an election campaign.

I think you underestimate how big the C&S vote is. Canning could definitely run a successful campaign, depending on who ran against him.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Do you really think he dropped out? That he couldn't handle it? Engineering is a harder course you clown.

attack the post not the poster

Frostie22 wrote: »
    I think you underestimate how big the C&S vote is. Canning could definitely run a successful campaign, depending on who ran against him.

he's devoid of a personality.

The C & S vote didn't go very far for Keith last year and he was their prized pony. If it didn't work for the head honcho it won't work for Tony.

attack the post not the poster
    Normally I'd follow that but he's talking about someone I'd consider a friend.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Normally I'd follow that but he's talking about someone I'd consider a friend.

Not a valid reason to break boards.ie rules.

The forum rules don't accommodate for emotions and friendships and people sticking up for their mates.

@cambridge hope you'll forgive me for firing some curveballs your way.
    no problem matey, su president needs to be able to think on his feet
    1. What political party are you affiliated with?

I was born and raised in washinton dc and am affliated to the republican party. I played a small part in george bushes last campaign. I am not really affiliated to any irish political party but would probably join sinn fein.

2. What's your opinion on the legalization of marijuana (slighty OT I know but I like to ask slightly outside of the box questions to get a broader scope of a candidates ideas and beliefs, like to know who I'm voting for, and not whose lollys taste the nicest or whose manifesto is on the most colourful paper)

In some US states marijuana is legalised for medicinal use. I am fairly liberal with regard to personal recreation. I think the medical risks of low potency marijuana - schizophrenia, depression, psychosis are fairly low compared to the very real risks associated with alcohol (cirrhosis of the liver, psychosis, depression). However, drug sales in ireland is all done by corrupt scumbag criminals. Anyone that smokes cannabis is endorsing extortion, corruption, crime, victimisation. I think people should be allowed smore but they shouldn't be lining the pockets of gangsters.

When english football hooligans go to germany they drink a load of beer and cause riots. When they go to amsterdam they smoke a load of spiff and they cause no trouble. There is some wisdom here, nobody battered their wife because they were high, nobody bottled a lad in a chipper because they were high, no body robs banks because they need to get high. low potency marijuana is very good for pain relief, anti-anxiety and some other conditions. I think it's legalisation is mostly a good thing.
    3. What changes would you make as regards the shops that have closed? I live in cappavilla and it is extremely inconvenient to have to walk twenty minutes at night across the living bridge, not to mind extremely dangerous. The fear of being robbed raped or worse is a pertinent one at the forefront of my mind.

I take personal security very seriously, i have being studying krav maga for 15 years and know a lot about the topic. you shouldn't be going wandering aroud this campus on your own after dark, whether to buy milk or not. I think it's scandalous that the cappavilla shop couldn't make a profit, i would investigate getting an entirely private shop in to see if they run a business selling the essentials. If i am su president i will improve the accessability to workshops on self-defence and protection - how to avoid danger before it happens not ninja skills.
    4. As a fourth year student knee deep in my FYP, I feel longer opening hours in the library are necessary, or perhaps a 24 hour reading room like I gather is operated in trinity. How would you orchestrate same?

Derek insists 24 hour library isn't a runner. I am inclined to agree with him but will have to do some research. As we all have rfid cards it will be easier to implement better swipe control access to rooms. I would try and get a 24 reading room in the main building (which is open 24 -7 anyway) for people to work around the clock on their laptops but i don't think i could get them access to books.
    5. How much are you willing to give up for this job? What are you willing to sacrifice, given that current and previous sabbats have sacrificed secure offers of jobs and travel plans for the union.

I would probably be sacrificing my current phd if elected. I think it's important to have a healthy work-life balance and would try and manage my time appropriately as su president. I have no job offers or travel plans to sacrifice however.

have i answered your questions satisfactorily?

no problem matey, su president needs to be able to think on his feet

have i answered your questions satisfactorily?

Yes.

you've got my vote.

Best of luck with the campaign.

Cordially,
    Horsemeat.

• Advertisement

I was born and raised in washinton dc and am affliated to the republican party. I played a small part in george bushes last campaign. I am not really affiliated to any irish political party but would probably join sinn fein.
    I'm going to stop taking digs at you, but Sinn Féin are a fairly left wing party while the Republicans are pretty right wing.

Republican (in America) =/= Republican (here)

Oh sorry i didn't know that. I really don't know much about local politics in ireland. My father helped Gerry Adams out with an election recently i just presumed we're on the same team.

The word on the street that the C&S people have their back up about derek's intrusion on their funds. it seems they will be looking to put their man on team. I think ginge may have come a year too soon, if he ran this year I'd reckon he'd walk it, not even i got stop that charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Presidential Candidate B - Keith Young - no charm, lost
    I think ginge may have come a year too soon, if he ran this year I'd reckon he'd walk it, not even i got stop that charisma.

Clearly I've impressed you on here or something.
    he's devoid of a personality.

The C & S vote didn't go very far for Keith last year and he was their prized pony. If it didn't work for the head honcho it won't work for Tony.

I believe the C&S Vote went quite far for me last year. With the new E-Voting it increased the overall number of people who were voting. The bulk of C&S Membership would not have known me and I assume when deciding to check out the vote they voted for the name they know.

I believe that is how I was beaten last year, simply the name of someone who had been in the SU for more than 2 years was more recognizable than mine.

This is nothing personal against Derek but I think my campaign team ran the better campaign considering I decided the day nominations closed to run. Derek ran a fantastic campaign and fair play to everyone out for him, all very visible, but it was very different to mine.

Could be wrong on what I have said, but all I would say, given everything that has happened this year I think the C&S Vote will count for a lot, and I believe it will be a C&S person who will win the vote this year.

Edit:

Leanne Carroll, David Hartery and Tony Canning I know them all quite well and I am sure would be very capable people for the job.

how do i become a c&s person ?

Oh I'll also add, given what is up for discussion at C+S Council tomorrow, I know the C+S vote is going to count for a lot.

whats up for discussion?

The SU will most likely be formally requesting C&S Societies to lower the amount of capitation they receive. Whether council will agree or not I don't know, I'll be making my opinion known tomorrow evening anyway.

Oh I'll also add, given what is up for discussion at C+S Council tomorrow, I know the C+S vote is going to count for a lot.

you'd swear to god you were working in the pentagon. the biggest criticism thus far of the su and c&s is lack of transparency. why are you always trying to hide what's been talking about. would you not just say rather this cloak and dagger bull****. that trojan horse was a **** gimmick but i coming around to think you're some kind of walter mitty character.

• Advertisement

you'd swear to god you were working in the pentagon. the biggest criticism thus far of the su and c&s is lack of transparency. why are you always trying to hide what's been talking about. would you not just say rather this cloak and dagger bull****. that trojan horse was a **** gimmick but i coming around to think you're some kind of walter mitty character.

There has been no transparanecy issues with C&S. The council agenda is never really hidden, is sent to all committee members of all c+s and it's not confidential, so anyone can request it or ask there committees to send it on.

Most people are not interested, so it's not sent out to everyone, I think there are moves to include them all on the website.

Edit: I do apologize if my original statement made it seem like we are all "cloaks and daggers".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement