Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No ID for my 18th?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I remember working in a bar prob 7 years ago.

Some young wan came in to get a drink using birth cert for ID.

It was like 2pm on a Tuesday..

Bizarre

As for the OP, even if you had ID most places wouldn't want you coming in. Too much risk of ending up drunk and crying in a corner with soiled jocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I'm fairly sure I have no reason to be hated considering you're basing your discrimination on a stigma that's been placed on youth.

I'm 25, can easily knock back 15 pints on a night. I know myself what young people are like.

Just don't be an arrogant wankbag and start a fight if someone brushes off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sorry OP, over 21s only.
    Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Book an hour of bowling or quasar in the leisureplex

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If the party is that vital to you, along with the seeming necessity to drink alcohol at said party, just wait until
    A. You get your Garda card. And
    B. There's a suitable weekend when all the people you want there are available.

It's not rocket science.

No need to thank me; it's all part of the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Haven't read all of the thread, but assuming it's just "a night out", can't you just delay it until the I.D arrives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

You could actually get an emergency passport before then

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Your Garda card probably will get to you on time, it doesn't take that long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

All you helpful people were never 18 no?

Try do what ShaSha says. Make sure you pick somewhere that your 18 year old friends have no problem getting into normally because not everywhere will let you in whether you're 18 or not. If it's a local late bar/pub instead of a city nightclub see if any of your younger relatives who would normally be patrons will go down for one or two and go in with them. Emergency passport is another option, you'll probably need a passport in the future anyway.

There was a backlog when my sister tried to get hers in November. She applied on the 14th and didn't get it back til mid December. It could very well come on time but don't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

ML10s are pants.

Garda stations don't always have ML10 forms. In the past I've had gardaí tell me they've never heard of them. I can only imagine ocking up to a bouncer with an ML10 for ID, it'd be like a scene out of The Inbetweeners! (Just going by my own pre-passport-having days).

Nine times out of ten sliding someone an ML10 when they've asked for ID you might as well be a six year old handing your PE teacher a note in green crayon saying 'Pleaze xcuse Misty Cheese from sport today as she sick. Signed, Misty Cheese's Mam.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    If you're going to the one venue, you could always try make an appointment with the manager and bring your birth cert and see if they could make arrangements with the bouncers when you give your name at the door? Obviously doesn't cover for the fact that some/all of your friends could be carded, but it's worth a shot! It's your best bet really - other than that all you can do is wear about 11 badges and a huge sash so everyone knows it's your birthday :p
    All well and good if the OP was 18 but not yet got their Garda ID however in this case the OP would still be under age and therefore not permitted on a licensed premises after 10pm (May-Sept). Why should the venue intentionally expose themselves to that risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Oh for the good ol days.. When we were 15-16 no problems getting served, as long as you weren't too drunk. I kinda feel sorry for the kids of today... An then I think a bit more about it.... Mmm... Na **** em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

slimjimmc wrote: »
    All well and good if the OP was 18 but not yet got their Garda ID however in this case the OP would still be under age and therefore not permitted on a licensed premises after 10pm (May-Sept). Why should the venue intentionally expose themselves to that risk?

Op will be 18 by the time of the event

EDIT: Op is ALREADY 18 it's the first sentence man

• Registered Users Posts: 44 thecamcam

when i was seventeen, i drank some very good beer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I'm 25, can easily knock back 15 pints on a night. I know myself what young people are like.

Because it takes one to know one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

At least someone here isn't full of unhelpful sarcasm...

Don't post in AH then if you want real answers.
    Jesus the youth of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Did you spill my fucking drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Op will be 18 by the time of the event

EDIT: Op is ALREADY 18 it's the first sentence man

Jaysus you're right. Somehow read it as birthday not until 16th. Might be time to lay off myself (after one or two for the road that is).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darraghjegan

You could actually get an emergency passport before then

I might do this actually, thank you!

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I might do this actually, thank you!

It'll cost you 135 quid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's great for you but I really don't care and it doesn't contribute in any way to this conversation.
    Welcome to After Hours forum :) This is how we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

All you helpful people were never 18 no?

It helped I'd been a regular in my local for three years at that stage.

Advertisement