Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Link store and search' idea

• 09-02-2014 6:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭

I had an idea for a simple web service a good while back, and am interested in seeing how it might be built.

The concept is very simple and would work like this:

1) I visit a link I like (website, news article, video - whatever).

2) I 'clip' the link via a bookmarklet installed on my browser (figure that's the best way for it to work).

3) The link is stored in my own personal 'search engine'.

4) I can carry out a search using this engine, locating various links I've stored.

So for example, let's say I find a great article on how to optimise video for SEO purposes. I want to keep the link and I can use this concept to store it, and if I am doing research on a topic, I can search and find the link again.

There is another, broader use for this, which I will keep to myself for now. I also have a very nice domain name which reflects the way you would 'clip' the links.

So really what is involved is creating a bookmarklet that can be installed via say Chrome and Firefox to start with, and then the 'search engine' where you can type in a query and it matches the query with the most relevant search results.

The matching element might have be fairly rudimentary to start with.

Any pointers on what might be involved are very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

You have just described instapaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

ChRoMe wrote: »

Instapaper doesn't appear to allow for searching, it's more about the first part of the concept, but not the second?

Instapaper and Kippt look to be very similar.

With this concept you would effectively be dropping links into a repository, and then locating them later via a search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Atomico wrote: »
    Instapaper doesn't appear to allow for searching, it's more about the first part of the concept, but not the second?

Instapaper and Kippt look to be very similar.

With this concept you would effectively be dropping links into a repository, and then locating them later via a search function.

Instapaper allows searching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Instapaper allows searching.

Ok, it's not quite the same as what I have in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and a clone is even built into safari (safari reading list).

Advertisement