Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning for Next Year Whats Happend So Far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh looks nice alright but defo too far..We are hoping really for somewhere in Cork really.. Doesn't really have to be a particular wedding spot even someplace that has a hall and accom close for people to stay..tis a hard thing to find

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭pooch90

Don't know where in cork you are but a friend of ours put up a marquee at Sam Maguire's homestead in Dunmanway, was nice.

Just look there, yeah something like that would be funky. We seem to have gone back to step one now, and looking at houses. My mum suggested DunOwen house just outside of Clon! Have been onto them and well call to see it. Looks quite nice if you put a marquee up out the front or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

What about something a bit different from a house or specific venue.

The Sirius Arts centre in Cobh is stunning, right on the water and I know they do civil weddings.
    Or the Royal Cork Yacht club in Crosshaven do weddings and that would be very different, there is a beautiful patio overlooking the harbour for a drinks reception.
    A golf club maybe?
    If you like Baltimore, Glebe gardens and Inis Beg are both stunning and you could tailor them to your budget.
    Or the rectory in Glandore is so pretty.
    Even a restaurant could work, Bunnyconellen in Myrtleville, Crosshaven is right up on a cliff and Ive heard they do weddings.
    Hope this helps :)

Called the Registry office in Cork yesterday just to have a chat have to say they were very nice. Did not get the name of the chap I spoke to but he was very helpful as the HSE and websites for all are rubbish bring you in circles.

Anywho didn't realise the €200 fee was including the a ceremony at the registry office which is handy to know.
    Also they said for lets say a Cork wedding that the civil servant would have to travel to it would be an extra cost of €200.

I was expecting a lot more than that, now I wonder does it depend on the civil servant themselves! Still if it is the €400 it is a lot cheaper than the humanist and celtic priest. That option is looking good.

Incase anyone else wants it he said a handy email to have if there are anyquestions is crs@hse.ie there is suppose to be a website www.groireland.ie that gives you a list of local registers but it does not seem to exist..

Thanks for the list of other venues caveatemptor1 I never thought of Crosshaven! That would be nice alright another possibility. I think a golf club I don't know, that might be a-miss just for us but again another idea as they have everything there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭pooch90

Just to let you know, our humanist celebrant is €450 so not much pricier.

Yep got a price from the Cork chap he said €460 but then that would make the whole thing €660 as you would need to do the whole legal side of it aswell..

One fab day just put up some new venues look nice but all the opposite side of us http://onefabday.com/12-new-wedding-venues-ireland-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Don't underestimate the value of a good wedding planner, even if you only pay them for an hour or two to get your thinking straight.
    The best wedding I've ever been to was made amazing because, in part, the planner was top notch.

Oh id say they would be great alright but just the extra cost of one. Do you know how much you would be talking for one..

• Advertisement

My head is wrecked :( !! to put it nicely... We visited another place this evening DunOwen house Clonakilty. Would be the perfect venue for a smaller more intimate wedding. The former abode of Noel Redding! So stepped in nice history. More of a modern building but the lady that runs it is very friendly and the house has a lovely atmosphere about it. The only thing is there isn't much accommodation close by for other guest. So that would be a problem as I know myself I would not fancy making a big trip to a hotel after all the celebrations..

But the price of the venue is very good compared to others.

Then on the way home we called into Innishannon house and were quite surprised for a hotel it is quite quirky and cozy. We completely surprised them with a visit and was welcomed warmly with a nice tour of what rooms they have and the banquet room.. We are heading back tomorrow to chat about the food.

Still looking back and comparing things to Blackwater but it is just the price..

Well got onto the HSE the other day after more or less deciding on a date and venue. Must say they are fast workers well in Cork anywho. Emailed them late one evening and by the next day they were back to me, and bang appointment made to see them in April..Wow I was worrying as such how would you guarantee that the register was booked for your day when it is next year but there was nothing so far to worry about they have us booked in.

Still in a dilemma as to what to do with the venue.. Need more lady friends to talk to everyone I know live abroad or elsewhere in Ireland tis pants to put it nicely..

I think we can make our venue work but I worry is it too much, and too much money also..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Do you want to tell us where you decided on and maybe you can get some more input here? You seem to have done a lot of research and looked at quite a few places and are clear about what you want, so I'm sure it's amazing!

Here's the checklist of what we went through when we were deciding on venues:
    Gut feel
    Accommodation on site or nearby for guests
    On site accommodation for bridal party and families
    Takes our numbers
    Suitability of available dates (NB Saturday)
    Amazing/ wow house and grounds
    Distance from church
    Good hosts/ owners
    Unusual/ different/ new
    Food reputation
    In house catering
    Choice of menu
    Available and suitable for Day 2
    Any extras provided
    Costs (obviously)
    Experience

No place ticked all the boxes, but it was good to put our minds at rest that we had chosen the right place. Everyone would have a different list though!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well got onto the HSE the other day after more or less deciding on a date and venue. Must say they are fast workers well in Cork anywho. Emailed them late one evening and by the next day they were back to me, and bang appointment made to see them in April

Also, just wanted to ask - how soon in advance do you need to make the appointment with the registrar? We hope to register our wedding in May (for September). Should we be getting onto them now? We only have one day off, so we need to do it that day? Or will they think we are ridiculous asking for an appointment this far in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

The venue is the most important decision you will make. A good venue can help you save money by allowing you to do lots of DIY and helping to make it work on the day. I'm doing lots of DIY for our wedding and one of the reasons we picked our venue was because they were so accommodating about that. It means i can have the day i want without a boat load of stress or it costing an arm and a leg. There are lots of little extras that i like but which i couldn't justifying paying an outside company for. However with the hotels help i'll get these and still have spent the majority of the budget on the areas that affect the guests most (food, band and drink).

If your venue is open to DIY and helping you put it together on the day then i'd say you can probably make it work budgetwise. Going by your previous posts it sounds like you are happy to take on plenty of DIY.

Also good to see how accommodating they are about corkage. That can really help with the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I worked in events for a while and ran weddings for our venue. If you're still looking for a venue, this is what you need to bear in mind:
    • BUDGET!! Work out what that is and STICK TO IT.
    • Where do you want to get married? Narrow down the area
    • What you do want from the venue?
    • Does the venue allow you your own flowers, caterers, fireworks
    • Decide what will be a dealbreaker for you and what you can compromise on
    • Don't be afraid to haggle! Bar Extensions, room upgrades, special rates for your guests
    • Another thing I always used to tell brides: Make sure someone from your venue is available to run the day for you. Nothing worse than looking around for hotel staff if you need something...
    • Corkage! If you're bringing your own, then check the prices for the corkage. Expect to pay E5-7 a bottle for wine, 10-20 a bottle for sparkling/champagne. Get the booze on a sale or return basis. Have someone from the hotel count the bottles in and out, and sign for the same.
    • If you're serving your cake as dessert, ask about any charges to cut and serve it.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps someone, if not you, Milly. PM me if you need any more help.

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Also, just wanted to ask - how soon in advance do you need to make the appointment with the registrar? We hope to register our wedding in May (for September). Should we be getting onto them now? We only have one day off, so we need to do it that day? Or will they think we are ridiculous asking for an appointment this far in advance?

As long as you give at least three months notice, you'll be fine!

Hello hello, oh thank ye so much!! :) Sorry if I am venting haha jes Id hate to see myself closer to the day and its in a year. The only reason I contacted the registry office as such was to make sure the date was held for us as it was a Friday we are looking for and I heard they get booked out pretty quickly. At lesat then you are guarnteed to have the day ye want and it is another less thing to worry about. I did think alright it was mad given us an appointment this early, i thought they would just hold the date for us or pencil us in somewhere but sure if this is the way to do it..

Oh im mad for DIY have been bad lately as to be honest as I have nothing really to make for, so wedding im like whooppp getting my pritt stick and fancy siccors on the go!! And wine of couse :)..

Looking at the list there ok

Gut feel - it does have a lovely feel to the place very relaxed and there is lots of space.
    Accommodation on site or nearby for guests - there is plenty for us and family and more. This is included in the price of the place itself so it is up to us what we charge our guests.

On site accommodation for bridal party and families - Yep and we wont have to pay any extra for lets say our parents.

Takes our numbers - it does and more. I think I was going more by the perfect venue than the amount of people. We can make numbers up if we need to as such.

Suitability of available dates (NB Saturday) - it is free on the dates we pick (weak) and supposably we have the register booked for it also.

Amazing/ wow house and grounds - it is loverly
    Distance from church - no need for one, and price is covered in the venue cost

Good hosts/ owners - very nice indeed and the money goes towards the upkeep of the venue which is nice.

Unusual/ different/ new - yes and yes

Food reputation - we would have to bring in catereers.
    In house catering - there is access to a full kitchen
    Choice of menu - up to us really
    Available and suitable for Day 2 - yep indeedy
    Any extras provided - chairs and tables and a bar ready to go less the drink

The thing that worries me is that I can see it all going a bit mad. I have certain ideas for what i would like there and I wonder would this all cost too much. Lets say I want to decorate one of the rooms which would more than likely be the dance room with white curtains walls (not sure what you call them really) like Franc does to fancy up venues.

And also we can take if for 3 days and 2 nights. Which going by what we had planned we would need but we would also need the day before to decorate the venue, do we pay an extra grand to defianly hold the venue so we can stay there the night before the wedding and decorate or €500 lets say to guarantee if it free the day before the wedding to decorate but not stay.

And then would stocking the bar and getting in Catereers be mad. I do have a few contacts with bars, and lets say a wine supply but still not sure myself how much a keg costs now adays..

It really is ticking all the boxes if it was just maybe a grand or two grand cheaper haha.. Asking for a lot arent I but there is no budiging... Do we go for it and fingers crossed it will all work out in the end or abandon ship now and start from scratch..

Thanks ladies again it is good to talk.. :)

Thank you Abajanin also, mmm may be asking you if you know some suppliers alright if we needed them which no doubt we will.

The venue is actually great, there is no problem with decorating we do it ourselves or whatever we want to do.

No corkagae as we stock the bar ourselfs, which is good and bad.
    I would be all for serving the cake as dessert also, think it is a waste otherwise, but again we can do what we like really. Himself likes cake so hell have one and Im having some cheese yummie a cheese wheel i was thinking. And that way you cand serve as nibbles.

The budget yes it is hard to say..I can say I was wrong I thought most defiantly we would not go over but it is the venue is the hardest thing to get correct. With the one we found we would be going over budget for a short time really. As we would probably make it back from gifts. I hate to think that as i am not a money person but I suppose you do in the end. The venue more or less is costing half the budget!!

I was at a wedding recently that had a similar venue as you are looking at. What the Bride and Groom did was to provide the alcohol for the drinks reception Beer, cider, prosecco and one keg for Guinness i think, wine with the meal and then had the caterers do a cash bar for the rest of the evening. I think license wise the caterers need to have an alcohol license to charge for alcohol. But that would make it cheaper for you then having to buy alcohol for everyone.

Also if you have a full kitchen available to you you can probably do your own canapes and evening food. Sandwiches, mini quiches, lots of savoury things can be made in advance and just set out for people to pick at later.
    I would have loved a private venue like that but unfortunately with the size of my family i couldn't get one at a reasonable price so i've gotten a compromise that i'm happy with.

Regarding the white curtains. I met with a guy who does these. He is on facebook, alan's wedding hire and i thought his prices were very reasonable. I also think he would setup the morning of the wedding so you wouldn't need to pay for the extra day hire. He does those curtains, uplighters, seat covers, table decorations so you might be able to do a deal with him.

• Advertisement

Hello thanks for that I shall look him up. We would need seat covers and things like I would think but the curtain's I am just weak for. When you see a room the way you want it, it is hard to go any other way.

Is you family huge then? I have the same problem with my side of the family but we will just have to cut it down most defiantly if we go for a larger wedding we cant have everyone..

Is your own this year or next?

I like the idea of the caterers (sorry my spellling is bad at times) doing the bar could work out in our favour alright. It would be hard to judge how much is needed or what would you do if you ran out..God forbid haha.

Was thinking of hte canapes doing them ourselves it was just I did not think the company who I got prices off would they come down just for lets say €1,000 - €2,000 from up the country as such. That one we will have to figure..

We met him when we went to view a hotel and his work sold the place. Ended up deciding on a different hotel but will defintely be getting him to do those curtains. Lighted swag he calls them.

I have 30 people in just my immediate family, brothers, sisters, spouses and kids. My OH has 4! So doing a small family type thing was never going to work. We don't even have people from work on our list and we are at 210. We are getting married next year and I'm doing loads of a DIY and like you a cake of cheese and a regular cake!

Your best bet with the caterers is not to tell them its a wedding. Mainly because in Ireland catering a wedding means a certain type of expectation food wise so caterers expect to quote for canapes, 3 course and afters food. Tell them you are having a private party and would like quotes for dinner for x amount.

The couple i knew who got the catered bar had planned to buy all the drink but realised early on that it would be impossible to gauge how much you would need and then theres things like ice and lemon slices. A catered bar was just the less stressful option.

that is the one good thing again with the place we were looking at, they actually have a ready to go bar with taps, lines (sounds like drugs) fridges and an ice machine, glasses for 70 i think but it is just the drink we need to provide..

I shall take note too for the food, tell them nought. The place we got the quote was Pigspit and in fairness to them they are well priced for what they supply. People to serve the food in all..

A cheese girl too, oh i thought it was the best idea when i spotted it. As cake im like mwa would not be bothered but a cheese wheel ohhhh id nearly get married just for that and some arbustus bread haha. If you need a hand with any cheese I may have a contact for some well if you like their stuff that is...id have to pm that

Please do PM me. We were going to go to sheridans but if i can get it straight from the producer i'd be happy!

Have a look at cheesecakes. By that I mean a 'cake' made of cheese. (for example - a wheel of cheddar, another of Stilton, maybe another of Red Leicster or Double Gloucester, some of the fancier cheeses with chilli, chocolate or sage) Very popular back home in London, but not sure about here. Looks great too!

You can then go mad with the gourmet crackers (Aldi do some great ones!), grapes, celery, different breads - the possibilities are endless.

Ye are making me hungry now. That's the kind of style alright a big wheel of cheese with grapes, crackers, arbustus poppy bread ohh very nice. Think they are a great idea cant believe I haven't seen more of them here.

I pmd some info there also if you like sure let me know

Whoop it is done!! so so happy. After looking around at a few venues we went back to the favourite Blackwater Castle, really do love it.

Just for anyone else looking the price does come across as quite daunting and pricey but after looking around at others it is on par.

We called to one which was a good contender and asked for a quote for 150 the price we got back was €9,736.00. This was for everything bar rooms for our parents. But also in the price was the charge for the civil ceremony room (which what you are paying for it for them to put chairs out) and a bar extension of close on €500, and surcharges for having a choice or two for courses, wine was only a glass and half for each person. I asked for some lee way but nope there was no swopping anything..

With the one price for everything at least you can do what you like. you are not stuck to doing things a certain way and having to worry about extras here and there.

If by any chance too there is brides to be or brides looking to team up with decorations. I shall be looking for a few bits here and there.

White giant pom, poms
    Some bunting or garlands
    Ribbons
    Large lanterns lots of things like these..

Delighted you picked your venue, now you can really start planning!

I found lots of hotels had extras that weren't included in the package. Have to say we got great advice from one hotel wedding coordinator on what to look out for with the packages. Prices can spiral so easily if it's not covered in the package.

It really is a shame that all these extras are added on. A bit mad if you don't want them. I didn't find them too sneaky now I must say they made it well know what they were charging for and put it all down but it just seemed excessive. Anywho onwards and upwards 2015 here we come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Delighted you've picked your location. I've looked at black water castle online, and it looks fab. It's just that small bit too far from home for us. Happy planning!!

Advertisement