Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Venue in Galway - Glenlo Abbey Hotel?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine -who's not a member of boards - asked me to post up this thread. She's looking for a wedding venue in Galway and, having looked at a few, is keen on The Glenlo Abbey Hotel. While the location is great, she has heard a couple of stories about service issues on wedding days, e.g. dinner being served late, every table not getting looked-after properly, etc

Has anybody here had, or attended, a wedding The Glenlo Abbey Hotel in the last year or so (i.e. since the new owner(s) took over. It went into receivership sometime in 2012) ?

(I've searched this forum, however all the threads about Glenlo Abbey are pre-receivership)..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

When I was searching for venues, I asked my friend who got married this summer in Glenlo and she had only positive things to say. In the end, it wasn't for me, as I felt the whole experience would be disjointed and the function room was at the far end of the hotel. But she loved it and said service, food etc was v good.

In my personal experience, the wedding coordinator was 20 mins late for our appointment and barely acknowledged the delay. I felt she was a little inexperienced and a little unprofessional on our visit which was a worry too. It might have been a bad day tho and it's only my personal experience! there wasn't a wedding on that day.

They are doing up the function room and putting a garden in outside it which will be completed by next February.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

CBFi wrote: »
    When I was searching for venues, I asked my friend who got married this summer in Glenlo and she had only positive things to say. In the end, it wasn't for me, as I felt the whole experience would be disjointed and the function room was at the far end of the hotel. But she loved it and said service, food etc was v good.

In my personal experience, the wedding coordinator was 20 mins late for our appointment and barely acknowledged the delay. I felt she was a little inexperienced and a little unprofessional on our visit which was a worry too. It might have been a bad day tho and it's only my personal experience! there wasn't a wedding on that day.

They are doing up the function room and putting a garden in outside it which will be completed by next February.

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know other people's experience of Glenlo. From what I have heard you are not the first to comment on the coordinator being late/inexperienced (unprofessional?). Treating potential customers (who are willing to spend €1000's on their big day) in such a manner wouldn't inspire confidence.

• Company Representative Posts: 6 Verified rep Glenlo Abbey Hotel: Vicky

Good Afternoon Silvera,

Vicky here from Glenlo Abbey Hotel. We are delighted your friend is considering Glenlo Abbey as her wedding venue. If she would like to arrange an appointment with our Wedding Co-ordinator, simply contact us directly on 091 519600. We would be delighted to show her around and to see the recent refurbishments throughout the hotel. We can also arrange for her to meet with Francis our Operations Manager, if she has any worries about service. Customer service and looking after our guests is always priority at any wedding or event in the hotel.

Ask our recent brides and grooms what they think....simply visit our website to view some testimonials from recent weddings. glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/luxury-wedding-testimonials/

Happy planning! Such an exciting time and we would be only love to be of assistance with expert advice and wedding tips throughout the whole planning phase and right up to the big day!

Looking forward to hopefully welcoming you and your friend to Glenlo Abbey Hotel in the near future.

Warm regards,
    Vicky

Sales Team @ Glenlo Abbey Hotel, Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

It's nice to hear feedback on a venue, but IMO the best feedback is from guests attending, not a B&G as much. Reason being, B&G are often far better looked after by any staff than the rest of the guests. They also see their day through more rose-tinted glasses. They could easily be getting hot food served on time, while some table at the back could be getting cold food served late.

Advertisement