Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scooter carrier/Rack

• 15-01-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking for a scooter carrier/rack for my 01 Rapido, any advice? Scooter is about 95KGs, I have seen several different designs, some onto a towbar and others just a rack. All advise welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

If the 'van has an ALKO chassis I know that ALKO do a motorbike rack that bolts on to the rear chassis rails. It comes with a new rear crossmember that also includes a tow-bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

digger58 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a scooter carrier/rack for my 01 Rapido, any advice? Scooter is about 95KGs, I have seen several different designs, some onto a towbar and others just a rack. All advise welcome.

Be aware that adding a 95kg scooter will add significantly more to the load on the back axle, and don't forget to add the weight of the carrier/rack into the equation.

If you click on THIS LINK you will find a calculator into which you enter all the relevant weights/measurements and it will tell you the actual impact the scooter and its carrier will have on the back axle, don't be surprised if it ends up overloaded :eek:

NB. when entering the 'original load' weights it's best to get the axles weighed with the van loaded up as you would have it in normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Well aware of that, At least on mine I don't have too much of an overhang behind rear wheels. I missed an aluminium rack recently, most seem to be made up of steel box and angle sections. I want to keep it as light as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

*Kol* wrote: »

I've seen these a few times on the continent - they definitely look the part. Been overtaken at speed by vans towing them on the motorway and seen them on rough ground without any apparent difficulty.

• Advertisement

Whole point is that I don't want to tow a trailer, especially one that I can't see. Thanks anyway but I'll pass on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

digger58 wrote: »
    Whole point is that I don't want to tow a trailer, especially one that I can't see. Thanks anyway but I'll pass on those.

The one that Niloc had the link for with the castor wheels is a great job. You can reverse without worry. It's harly much bigger than a normal rack too with the benefit of being able to leave it behind. If you need to see what's behind a reversing camera would do the trick but you wouldn't need it with that type of trailer.

Neat idea, I wonder what price?

I remember seeing a link to a UK company that makes them too. I can't find it right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement