Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Archaeological recording methods question

• 17-10-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all professional (past or present) archaeologists out there,

I am doing some research into types of recording methods used in commercial and/or research archaeology done in Ireland over the last decade or two. Would I be correct in saying that most or all excavation recording is done using the single-context method?

Has anyone encountered any different systems? Perhaps, locus-pail?

I appreciate any input.

All the best,
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

flynam wrote: »
    Hello all professional (past or present) archaeologists out there,

I am doing some research into types of recording methods used in commercial and/or research archaeology done in Ireland over the last decade or two. Would I be correct in saying that most or all excavation recording is done using the single-context method?

Has anyone encountered any different systems? Perhaps, locus-pail?

I appreciate any input.

All the best,
    Frank

I think a lot of archaeologists use a modified form of the single-context system. Taken to its fullest extent, the single-context system requires a plan for every context and only one context per plan - I don't think many do this and multi-context plans are fairly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

We used a modified single-context system back in the late 90s in one Munster-based company, but all of the others I've been involved in in my extensive Irish professional career have been multi-context

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flynam

Thanks for the input. It's interesting that the graphical side seems to determine wether a project is 'true' single-context or not. It begs the question if it is possible to excavate SC and not draw plans. And if you draw sections, does that mean that you are not recording as per the SC method?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flynam

So neither of you have encounter systems that use recording units called loci (singular: locus) and/or pails?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I was involved in archaeology for ten years - never used anything but multi-context.

Considering the vast majority of excavations in Ireland are rescue rather than research based I wouldn't expect many to use single-context due to time constraints.

Actually I was involved with a research excavation this summer and that was all multi-context too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

flynam wrote: »
    So neither of you have encounter systems that use recording units called loci (singular: locus) and/or pails?

No, I've never encountered those systems in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Only been multicontext so far for me
    Meathlass wrote: »
    Actually I was involved with a research excavation this summer and that was all multi-context too.

Haven't done been on a research dig myself but this question came up as we were dealing with a messy area, only one guy had been on a site where true single context had been used and apparently it was a pain.
    Mate working for a prestigious UK company, excavate in plan etc, but they still call in the Big Yellow Trowel to speed things up :rolleyes:

Advertisement