Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Irishgoatman would you please ask your contact about no seatbelts in the back of a 86 camper? I've got none and I'd like to know the legal situation with having none in the back for passengers, Thanks.

I'll speak to him tomorrow but first, a little more info please.

My camper is also '86, I've no entry to the back via the cab and bench seats that convert to beds, so no seat belts (I don't carry passengers anyway), what's the layout of yours?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Hi Irishgoatman its a open layout you can move around from the front seats to the living area - the two rear passenger seats are behind the drivers seats and are forward facing but can be converted into bench seats ... I have attached a pic of the layout with the seats both ways, Thanks.

Hi Irishgoatman its a open layout you can move around from the front seats to the living area - the two rear passenger seats are behind the drivers seats and are forward facing but can be converted into bench seats ... I have attached a pic of the layout with the seats both ways, Thanks.

My first reaction is that they would need belts but we'll see what he has to say tomorrow.

In the meantime perhaps there's someone else reading this who has the same set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Has anyone got a link to the test procedures?

I have a '79 Chevy camper so it doesn't legally require any document and would certainly not pass glazing or emmissions as it's been heavily customised (5.7 ltr rebuilt camaro engine sidepipes etc).
    Is there enough in it to warrant the €87.16 cost?

• Advertisement

shagman wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to the test procedures?

I have a '79 Chevy camper so it doesn't legally require any document and would certainly not pass glazing or emmissions as it's been heavily customised (5.7 ltr rebuilt camaro engine sidepipes etc).
    Is there enough in it to warrant the €87.16 cost?

Sorry but you're wrong here, ALL campers require a test regardless of age. That's from the RSA when I spoke to my contact a few days ago.

Also, letters went out from the RSA to owners of all registered campers.
    If your's is registered, and taxed, you should have got one.

Motor Caravans registered prior to 1
    st
    January 1980 are exempt from testing. Again this is
    identical to the arrangement in place for vehicles registered prior to this date that are tested at
    NCT
    on the first page of the rsa statement but insurance would require some form of road worthiness cert.

on the first page of the rsa statement but insurance would require some form of road worthiness cert.

Sorry, ignore that posting of mine. Contradicting an earlier post of my own!! Trying to watch rugby (It's a draw by the way) and post on here.

I meant to put exactly what you've put.:o

Who says that men can't multi-task?

Who says that men can't multi-task?
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I may stand corrected on this but rear seat belts only became compulsory from Jan 91 on if memory serves me correctly.

Only hung up my biro from testing a few weeks ago, I am glad I am missing this headache!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This whole seatbelt thing is quite tricky.

First there is the legislation which requires passenger vehicles (which motor caravans are) first registered from 1991, IIRC, to be fitted with seatbelts on rear seats.

However, in the case of motor caravans only some of the seats may be designated as 'travel seats'. This designation is part of the original spec of the vehicle when being accepted as a 'motor caravan' for vehicle category purposes.

So, the actual total number of seats in the rear of a motor caravan need not have seatbelts, just those officially designated as 'travel seats' (as opposed to lounging seats) and those only need seatbelts if the vehicle was first registered when rear seatbelts were compulsory.

For example, my own motor caravan, first registered in 2005, has three rear seats in addition to the two in the cab area, but only two of them are designated as 'travel seats' in the spec. and have seat belts but the third one intended only for 'lounging' when the vehicle is parked does not.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    This whole seatbelt thing is quite tricky.

First there is the legislation which requires passenger vehicles (which motor caravans are) first registered from 1991, IIRC, to be fitted with seatbelts on rear seats.

However, in the case of motor caravans only some of the seats may be designated as 'travel seats'. This designation is part of the original spec of the vehicle when being accepted as a 'motor caravan' for vehicle category purposes.

So, the actual total number of seats in the rear of a motor caravan need not have seatbelts, just those officially designated as 'travel seats' (as opposed to lounging seats) and those only need seatbelts if the vehicle was first registered when rear seatbelts were compulsory.

For example, my own motor caravan, first registered in 2005, has three rear seats in addition to the two in the cab area, but only two of them are designated as 'travel seats' in the spec. and have seat belts but the third one intended only for 'lounging' when the vehicle is parked does not.

Best explanation so far but, I just had a look at my Registration Cert (log book) and it shows, under S1, that my camper has 4 seats and therefore I would expect to see 4 seatbelts.
    I'll have to send it away to be changed because there are only 2 seats in the cab and 2 bench seats/beds in the back without, as I said before, access from the cab.

So maybe not much use going by the logbook.

So maybe not much use going by the logbook.
    my log book says 3 seats and there are clearly 4 !!!

For factory built motor caravans the number of certified 'travel seats' will be in the vehicle specification data used when creating the original registration documents at the time of first registration for the vehicle.
    However, for self builds it's probable down to what was 'agreed' with the certifying person when the vehicle category was being changed.

As a vehicle category motor caravans can have any number of seats which are not classed as 'travel seats' and do not need seatbelts. However, it is not legal to carry people in such seats when the vehicle is in motion.

My 3rd seat is exactly the same as my 4th seat - forward facing that can turn into a bench seat!

My motor caravan is factory built but original English reg cert doesn't have any number of seats on it. So where the number 4 on the Irish one came from is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just looked at the Vehicle Reg Cert for our MH and there is no weight on it.
    Do I need to prove the weight ?
    I have the specs on a PDF Print out, and it's only a 4 berth, but do I need to have it officially weighed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

deadl0ck wrote:
    I have the specs on a PDF Print out, and it's only a 4 berth, but do I need to have it officially weighed ?

For the test- an unladen weight is not required. But the gross vehicle weight and each axle gross weight is needed and theese gross weights are usually found on the plate with the chassis no. Which is located in the panel under the front of the bonnet on a fiat ducato and inside the near side door on a transit.

deadl0ck wrote:

If belts are fitted, they will be checked. If they are not fitted, then that's ok.

I've got a very good contact at the RSA
    Irishgoatman would you please ask your contact about no seatbelts in the back of a 86 camper? I've got none and I'd like to know the legal situation with having none in the back for passengers, Thanks.

If seat belts are there, then they will be checked. But if they are not there , then that's ok. But that does not cover you for any extra passengers that you have in the back if you are checked by the cops on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

You can legally carry passengers in the back without seatbelts given the age of your vehicle. Here's an extract from citizensinformation.ie:
    Pre-1992 registered vehicles

All cars first registered in Ireland since 1st June 1971, are required to have safety belts fitted on front seats. Rear seats have to be equipped with safety belts on all cars first registered since 1992. If seatbelts are not provided in the back of your pre-1992 car, then passengers are exempted from the law requiring them to use a safety belt (or child restraint) when travelling in the back of your car. However, if you have a pre-1992 car, it is strongly recommended you have safety belts or, perhaps, child restraints appropriate to the intended use, fitted. Many pre-1992 cars have anchorages for safety belts making the fitment of safety belts or child restraint systems a relatively inexpensive proposition.

Thank you very much Stevire:rolleyes:.

Now I'll have to come up with a new excuse for not carrying passengers!!!.

Just spoke with RSA, Stevire was correct, so well done.

You, Dickwod1, are ok, no rear belts needed.

I was told that the best thing for anyone not sure about belts is for them to look at the makers description if the camper is factory built, and find out what they say.

If in doubt still, use the link he sent me for the LGV test procedure and go to page 30.

[URL="mhtml:{E76ACC60-FC2C-4310-81C0-0B264AF6859B}mid://00000780/!x-usc:http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/LGV%20Manual%2029.02.2012.pdf"]http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle Testing/LGV Manual 29.02.2012.pdf[/URL]

stevire wrote: »
    You can legally carry passengers in the back without seatbelts given the age of your vehicle. Here's an extract from citizensinformation.ie:

i stand corrected. i will still use that excuse for not having extra passengers, most people dont know that info, and if they did, they still may not feel comfortable without them

My feeling is that if you have swivel seats and they were facing into the camper, then the tester would have no reason to check them:).

The problem might come if you were stopped for any reason with passengers facing forward without belts. As I've only got bench seats it's no problem.

My contact did say that they are using the same criteria as for cars.

Thanks Irishgoatman and stevire ... I will be putting seatbelts in the back at some stage just nice to know where i stand at the mo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

an issue that has cropped up here is weights! A customer rang after getting his tested , in Kilkenny, and they reckoned it was a good 200 odd kilos heavier than when we would have gotten it weighed for VRT-ing , and then Dad had one done locally , and the same issue almost exactly! 2 different types , one Fiat 6 berth , with overcab, one Renault A Class with an Al-ko chassis . So I sent him into the local weigh bridge , and sure enough , it was about 200kgs lighter than the DOE test centre measured it!!

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    an issue that has cropped up here is weights! A customer rang after getting his tested , in Kilkenny, and they reckoned it was a good 200 odd kilos heavier than when we would have gotten it weighed for VRT-ing ,

Perhaps it now has some equipment on board which was not there when VRT-ing, like gas bottles, ware, bedding, etc. etc
    Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    and then Dad had one done locally , and the same issue almost exactly! 2 different types , one Fiat 6 berth , with overcab, one Renault A Class with an Al-ko chassis . So I sent him into the local weigh bridge , and sure enough , it was about 200kgs lighter than the DOE test centre measured it!!

I hope the VTN centres are not 'chaining down' as prescribed for HGV's, this requirement is not in the test manual for motor caravans, which are supposed to be tested at the weight presented, and it certainly would not do an Alko chassis any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

nope , the camper had nothing extra on board , and was empty . Even had the fuel light on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

I just got mine done with no problems thankfully. However, there was another guy there to get his camper tested (a panel conversion). The tester took one look at the windows and that was that! He was gone by the time I got outside so I didn't get a chance to talk to him. But I guess he is looking at having to have his glass replaced.

Advertisement