Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Players are told to celebrate any controversial call these days to put pressure on the offiicials to give it, their reactions say absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Syferus wrote: »
    Players are told to celebrate any controversial call these days to put pressure on the offiicials to give it, their reactions say absolutely nothing.
    If the ball did actually come off the crossbar then there's nothing controversial about that, IMO you can tell a lot more from player that caused the incident reaction rather than the opposing players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭celt262

Thats true, i have seen lads jumping into the crowd and taking off there jerseys and swinging them over their heads after hitting the crossbar :rolleyes:

The Monaghan players knew it was a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

celt262 wrote: »
    Thats true, i have seen lads jumping into the crowd and taking off there jerseys and swinging them over their heads after hitting the crossbar :rolleyes:

The Monaghan players knew it was a goal.

Have you seen any rugby game in the last five years? Or heard of this fella called Thierry Henry? Gaelic is far from immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

baztard wrote: »
    Whats the craic with Conleths? Last I heard it was up for an international architectural award.
    Really? Where did you hear that?

On a non trolling note from baztard :)

Desperately needs work to be fair but pitch is very good IMO

I've frozen me balls off enough weekends in Spring to justify a swipe at the aul place! :)

Even made the mistake of taking shelter from the rain under the stand roof once!

The pitch looks like something out of a prison. You wouldn't wanna be running out over the side line too fast or you'd end up with your head stuck between the feckin bars.

Craggy Island would be proud of the place. Public anouncement on a rainy day a while back - "The shop is now closed due to a power failure".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭celt262

Have you seen any rugby game in the last five years? Or heard of this fella called Thierry Henry? Gaelic is far from immune.

Never seen them celebrate a ball hitting crossbar.

Enough on that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

baztard wrote: »
    I've frozen me balls off enough weekends in Spring to justify a swipe at the aul place! :)

Even made the mistake of taking shelter from the rain under the stand roof once!

The pitch looks like something out of a prison. You wouldn't wanna be running out over the side line too fast or you'd end up with your head stuck between the feckin bars.

Craggy Island would be proud of the place. Public anouncement on a rainy day a while back - "The shop is now closed due to a power failure".
    Lol know what you mean it badly needs work alright!!!

But I stand by my opinion that hawk field was more important to develop for the county than conleths.

But in this recession where will county board get cash to build a new stadium or redevelop conleths?? Shame really as we do get a good following

Lol know what you mean it badly needs work alright!!!

But I stand by my opinion that hawk field was more important to develop for the county than conleths.

But in this recession where will county board get cash to build a new stadium or redevelop conleths?? Shame really as we do get a good following

I agree, conleths is big enough for league matches, and 99% of front door championship matches are either played in Portlaoise and Croker.

The back door championship matches are the only ones where ticket demand is greater than capacity. Its not ideal, but a tolerable reality given the economy etc.

Kildare team to face Limerick tomorrow

1. Shane Connolly
    2. Andriú MacLochlainn
    3. Peter Kelly
    4. Hugh McGrillen
    5. Emmet Bolton
    6. Morgan O’Flaherty
    7. Eoin Doyle
    8. Michael Foley
    9. Robert Kelly
    10. Eoghan O’Flaherty
    11. Mikey Conway
    12. Alan Smith
    13. John Doyle (Captain)
    14. Tomás O’Connor
    15. James Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Is the Kildare v Lk match on tv anywhere?

• Advertisement

Is the Kildare v Lk match on tv anywhere?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I produced enough bricks for a 3 bed semi there I was so nervous at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

full_irish wrote: »
    I produced enough bricks for a 3 bed semi there I was so nervous at the end.
    Somehow I think us Limericians will feel worse than you tonight.

Brilliant display in extra time by Kildare!!

Limerick are fair cute though really had Kildare researched!!!

CILL DARA ABÚ

Limerick getting dirty now!!!!

Positives we are playing in the next round and that's all we need one match at a time!!!

O'moore park great atmosphere!!!!

That packing the backs with 13 or 14 players is a bollox tactic tbh ruins free flowing football

That packing the backs with 13 or 14 players is a bollox tactic tbh ruins free flowing football

Well its exactly what Sligo are going to do (and its what knocked us out last year), so we *geezer* hasn't got much time to sort out something to counteract it

full_irish wrote: »
    Well its exactly what Sligo are going to do (and its what knocked us out last year), so we *geezer* hasn't got much time to sort out something to counteract it

Yeah but to be fair Donegal were sooo effective with it.. But yes I imagine Sligo will be at the same crap!!! Maybe not though Sligo might want to play against us...

I really hope we don't fall vs Sligo would love to have a run to lift county!!!

Foley was absolutely brilliant!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

any idea what day we will play next week the gaa website has the 4 games on sat will that be def

any idea what day we will play next week the gaa website has the 4 games on sat will that be def

Take it as definite its only a week away too close to chop and change

Sligo would be pure stupid to come out and play against us. Much better chance if they play tight and restrict any space for Kildare's forwards... been shown to be very effective against us.

• Advertisement

Anyone any guesses as to where the Kildare Sligo game will be? Mullingar? Breffini Park? Navan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just in from the game, what a great atmosphere tonight.
    I thought Kildare were terrible up until extra time but absolutely ruthless in extra time.
    Limerick were better than i excpected but a few of their players were absolute thugs and a total disgrace.
    Numbers 11 and 4 in particular only wanted to fight.
    Delighted for Seanie tonight, two fantastic points in extra time,one with each foot.
    The first one in particular was fantastic, kicked at speed on the run from a super tight angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Good win for Kildare, Sligo will be hard as well

this was posted elsewhere, read it but don't reply to the clown, I think he appeared in the Kerry thread also tonight trolling

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056707622

And its not a question that needs to be answered either, I think Kildare's time will come, I don't think you are that far away and we caught you on the hop the last day. (and hopefully we might catch the Dubs on an off day too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Could be in croke park?! Our round 4 games in the previous two years against Derry in 2011 and monaghan in 2010 were both in croke park. Possibly a double header with laois winning tonight and the loser of the meath/dublin game tomorrow with three leinster teams in action. Croke park would be suitable. Also just to say my nerves are gone at this stage and want to just say how fantastic the kildare support were this evening. Absolutely brilliant when they were needed and were the 16th man on the pitch! Lets keep it going lads. The lilywhite army rolling on!!
    UP THE LILYWHITES!!!

Never thought of Croker :o. You're probably right.

The last time we played Sligo in Croker they beat us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

We owe them so. Hope it's croke park. Kildare enjoy playing there. I have to say i admire the way the lads battled tonight. Great credit to them. They battled hard and never gave up. Their never say die attitude came to the fore and i hope they bring that mentel steel forward for the rest of the championship. That was a good game to get and hopefully it will stand to us.
    Fingers crossed no injuries ahead of next weekend. Well done to the lilywhites!!:cool:

The last time we played Sligo in Croker they beat us.

And we had an extra man for a good chunk of the game to boot iirc

Limerick exposed all of Kildares weaknesses yesterday.
    They dominated us in midfield.
    The ran at our half backs to great effect. Limericks no.11 was especially good at this. Kildare half back line can't seem to handle it.
    They packed their defence meaning that Kildare couldn't run at them.
    And they nullified Tomas O'Connors target man abilities. (Although Kildare barely aimed any balls in at him for all his time on the pitch)

Kildares biggest weakness for me though was their lack of a plan B. It was clear well into the first half that Limericks tactics were stifling Kildare. McKeeney eventually made 2 substitutes 10 mins into the second half, but he didn't change tactics. So the substitutions didn't have a huge impact on the game. What do Kildare do when their game plan isn't working!? They just stick at what their doing and reduce the game to a war of attrition and fitness. This might have just about worked against Limerick, but any of the top teams in the country will be just as fit and far more difficult to beat on physicality alone. Wheres the plan B?

Bring on Early into midfield and aim the kick outs at him, or perhaps even bring O'Connor back into midfield.
    Or push Johnny Doyle and Kavanagh up into corner forward positions and aim wide balls from the half backs at them.
    Or run the wings rather than trying to go through the centre the whole time.

Just have something planned and rehearsed in training that can be executed if needs be on a match day!

Dcully wrote: »
    Just in from the game, what a great atmosphere tonight.
    I thought Kildare were terrible up until extra time but absolutely ruthless in extra time.
    Limerick were better than i excpected but a few of their players were absolute thugs and a total disgrace.
    Numbers 11 and 4 in particular only wanted to fight.
    Delighted for Seanie tonight, two fantastic points in extra time,one with each foot.
    The first one in particular was fantastic, kicked at speed on the run from a super tight angle.

Yeah the Limerick lads were clearly told to go and try and rough the Kildare lads up and try to knock them off their game by getting into their heads. There was a lot of off the ball niggling and digs being thrown in.

The ref, lines men and umpires didn't deal well with it all. The ref was probably only told about half the off the ball incidents by his team, so he could only deal with the ones he knew about. Limerick were gettin away with it quite a lot and it lasted through out the game.

In contrast at the Kerry v. Tyrone game, the ref and his team dealt with every incident at the start of the match and handed out quite a few yellow cards. That match had a lot of potential to spill over into one big fight but the officials handled it very well and set a precedence early on that that off the ball crap wouldn't be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

we were ****e for 70 minutes and seriously got out of jail.Limerick just had nothing left for extra time.

Play like that against the top teams and we'll be gone. Just hope that yesterday gave them a good rattle and itll stand to them.

Kelly No. 11 for Limerick was having a good game but frustration got the better for him. just before that moment some limerick lad in the terrace started spouting on about how hes limerick born and bred, can be proud of him etc etc (digs at the johnston thing)....then he goes and punches two lads off the ball....classy guy alright. you're man shut up fairly quick then!

The ref was a disaster for both counties also.

Advertisement