Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jd wrote: »
    Enniscorthy by-pass section is next

And when is it due to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

vicwatson wrote: »
    And when is it due to start?
    Sometime this year, September hopefully.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93549026&postcount=154

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

jd wrote: »

If BAM are awarded the contract, they can pack up in August and just roll the gear on down the road! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

A well, at least it will the last Summer of traffic jams coming off motorway at beehive! Maybe they'll try do something at the M11/M50 merge next.

I'd like to see them move the start/end of the motorway back closer to Dublin once this section is open so that the motorway section is as long is it can be and the gap between where it ends/starts and where the N11 changes to motorway in Bray is as small as possible, i.e. move it from the Applegreen to immediately after Glen of the Downs or Killpeder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,634 ✭✭✭✭josip

PoolDude wrote: »
    I'd like to see them move the start/end of the motorway back closer to Dublin once this section is open so that the motorway section is as long is it can be and the gap between where it ends/starts and where the N11 changes to motorway in Bray is as small as possible, i.e. move it from the Applegreen to immediately after Glen of the Downs or Killpeder.

Is there a viable alternative route to Newtownmountkennedy, etc for motorway incapable traffic from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

PoolDude wrote: »

Wont happen as there has to be a regional road to cater for traffic that cant use the motorway ie learners tractors ect this is usually the old main road.
    They didn't leave a road between coynes cross and newtown they built the existing road over the old n11.

they could increase the speed limit to 120km while leaving it a national road but it probable wont happen either:rolleyes:
    Special Speed limits may be introduced by a process outlined in the Road Traffic Act 2004 which ultimately results in proposals being approved by elected members of county and city councils by the making of bye-laws which set out the locations where Special speed Limits are to apply. The prior written consent of the National Roads Authority is required to the making of bye-laws relating to a National Road or a Motorway.

The categories of Special Speed Limit that may be specified in bye-laws are:

120 km/hr in respect of a dual carriageway on a national road,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,733 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The section between Bray and Glen of the Downs can never be motorway, there are too many private accesses onto it.

They could probably increase the limit to 120 between Glen of the Downs and Cullenmore, but they'd need to close of some of the surplus junctions around Kilpedder/Delgany (which they should have done when junction 11 was built).

There is a alternative back road between Newtown and Ashford btw, but it's quite narrow. There's nowhere that can't be reached by local roads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

loyatemu wrote: »
    The section between Bray and Glen of the Downs can never be motorway, there are too many private accesses onto it.

They could probably increase the limit to 120 between Glen of the Downs and Cullenmore, but they'd need to close of some of the surplus junctions around Kilpedder/Delgany (which they should have done when junction 11 was built).

There is a alternative back road between Newtown and Ashford btw, but it's quite narrow. There's nowhere that can't be reached by local roads though.

What about building a brand new section a little further west of the existing low quality bray bypass, all the way to kilmac?...it seems the only possible way to have motorway on this section. I agree that the existing road would proabably be too difficult to upgrade.

Either way, this section all the way to junction 11 really needs to be 3 lanes, it's just gonna get much worse in coming years with economic and population growth!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,733 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    What about building a brand new section a little further west of the existing low quality bray bypass, all the way to kilmac?...it seems the only possible way to have motorway on this section. I agree that the existing road would proabably be too difficult to upgrade.

Either way, this section all the way to junction 11 really needs to be 3 lanes, it's just gonna get much worse in coming years with economic and population growth!

AFAIK Wicklow CoCo have plans to build a collector road between J6 and J8 (on the Bray side of the N11) - this would presumably allow them to close the junctions at Herbert Rd, the halting site and the other one with Deignan cars on it. Also possibly widen the N11 to 3 lanes as far as J7 - when it'll happen I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

loyatemu wrote: »
    AFAIK Wicklow CoCo have plans to build a collector road between J6 and J8 (on the Bray side of the N11) - this would presumably allow them to close the junctions at Herbert Rd, the halting site and the other one with Deignan cars on it. Also possibly widen the N11 to 3 lanes as far as J7 - when it'll happen I don't know.

By any chance, do you know if those plans are still runners, or have a link to a study on it or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    By any chance, do you know if those plans are still runners, or have a link to a study on it or anything?
    This is the one, I think ...

http://www.derekmitchell.ie/wp-content/up/07-139-039-M11-N11-Study-EOC-Mar-2010-Final-NRA-Approved1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

Any update on progress here or traffic alterations

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

They seem to be making good progress, especially over the last week. Quite a few sections now have at least an initial layer of tarmac down. My commute is often in darkness / semi-darkness so it's only really at the weekends when I get a good look. I think it's looking good.

It's also encouraging to see a bit of work being done on Saturdays.

Noticed they have placed the beams in place at the bridge at jack whites too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Bit of a mess at Jack Whites this am

From AA Roadwatch
    Updated: 2/16/2015 7:39:31 AM

A stop/ go system is in place on the N11 Wexford / Dublin Rd both ways between Jack Whites and the new roundabout as emergency services deal with an overturned truck. Gardai are diverting southbound traffic at Jack Whites via the Coast Rd to avoid delays. Traffic is reportedly heavy both north and southbound as a result.

It was a bit of a pain this morning alright. I hope the truck driver is ok. Just goes to show how badly the new road is needed. One breakdown or accident and the whole thing is backed up for miles.

Yes it was a bad crash driver was ok but some of the cattle had to be put down

10993962_717110255073704_1076450678589270338_n.jpg?oh=a25aafb7ff41fa73520ef293e4ff0f39&oe=55913F36&__gda__=1431654144_7e3c9fe3b89ad78ca893f2bcceb44af0

The lorry which was carrying live cattle hit a crash barrier and turned over just before 7am.

A number of cattle died in the incident, local vet Tommy Heffernan arrived to euthanise some of the badly injured animals.

Fire services from Arklow and Wicklow attended the scene.

It is understood the driver received no serious injuries.

http://www.wicklownews.net/2015/02/traffic-delays-on-n11-after-cattle-truck-turns-over/

Was it the ramp at the top of the hill/ future roundabout that caught the driver out and caused him to loose control?

Glad the driver is ok. Shame about the cows.

It was at the ramp just after the future roundabout indeed. I've seen lots of complaints about these but I honestly believe if you stick to the speed limit it's perfectly safe. There's no way he would have lost control of the truck if he'd been concentrating fully and was within the speed limit. It's only my opinion, but there it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

vickers209 wrote: »
    Was it the ramp at the top of the hill/ future roundabout that caught the driver out and caused him to loose control?

yeah thats where it was but my guess would be that he was overtired and drifted into the wrong lane and then overcompensated back in, since it happened about slightly down the hill, and considering the time it happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Passed this pretty soon after it happened. Driver was sitting up against the barrier. My initial thought was that his tires went into the gutter that runs along the side of the road there which caused him over compensate to get out and lost control then.

It's all speculation though.

Still on target to open late summer this year according to latest newsletter

http://www.n7n11.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/08-BAM-N11-FEB15-newsletter-final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,634 ✭✭✭✭josip

vickers209 wrote: »
    Still on target to open late summer this year according to latest newsletter

http://www.n7n11.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/08-BAM-N11-FEB15-newsletter-final.pdf
    Good progress during the spring time will
    ensure that the site is ready for the opening on
    schedule in the late summer this year.

My money is on Friday the 25th September as the earliest opening date. More than likely October.
    IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The reality is it is going to be one more summer of crazy Friday afternoon traffic. A few weeks between August and September will be neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I see another truck ploughed into a roundabout over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

BoatMad wrote: »
    I see another truck ploughed into a roundabout over the weekend

At Jack Whites? Saw a truck stuck on that last week too.

i was looking at the construction this morning as some of the blacktop is now down. It seems in places to be very narrow for a 4 lane motorway

any comments ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BoatMad wrote: »
    i was looking at the construction this morning as some of the blacktop is now down. It seems in places to be very narrow for a 4 lane motorway

any comments ?

Its definitely not too narrow - this comes up on every single build thread, its a perception issue.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its definitely not too narrow - this comes up on every single build thread, its a perception issue.

I shall adjust my perception filter according

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Signs up saying no HGV access to beehive from 13/3 this morning.

Advertisement