Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm not getting into arguments on the internet cause I can never express myself properly. And I've work to do. So believe what you want to believe, even if I don't like it. I'm not going to change your minds on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

This is a complete non-event! Had to laugh at how it got almost a full page in the paper :pac:
    As was said before, anyone was free to leave, so I can't see how it affected anyone. Outrage over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Seren_ wrote: »
    So believe what you want to believe, even if I don't like it.

Carry on as you were so everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I suspect that there's a group of people that just really hate Mal (whom I hardly know btw.)

Wasn't it about this time last year when he was (blatantly) fraped and, in a loooooong thread on his female friend's wall said something like "stop [female friend's name] or I will punch you in the vagina"?

And a college society (too brave to use their own names of course) on FB started putting around that Mal was seriously advocating "violence against women"? I think that made Broadsheet.ie.

And at no point did they stop and think "Hey, maybe because it's 2am and Mal is probably asleep we should, y'know, be responsible and wait until he has a chance to explain himself?"

"No no no, we'll just send it to the newspapers that he beats women."

Attention-seeking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I have noticed a weird hatred of Mal from some sections. I can see how some are annoyed by him but he seems a genuine chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

banquo wrote: »
    And a college society (too brave to use their own names of course) on FB started putting around that Mal was seriously advocating "violence against women"? I think that made Broadsheet.ie.
    This? (Scroll down to 21st April 2013) Overreaction seems to be their forté.

Planemo wrote: »
    This? (Scroll down to 21st April 2013) Overreaction seems to be their forté.

Hahaha that is hilarious, the person running the femsoc page couldn't have possibly thought that was genuinely Mal, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Yeah it's a total overreaction to stand up for what you believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You have said several times you have a problem with it. Could you please say how? It's impossible to have a clue what you think is wrong with it when you don't say it. Nobody was harmed, so what is the problem?

Yeah you really haven't elaborated on what your issue is.

• Advertisement

No it's an overreaction to treat an obvious frape as if it's serious to attempt to drag someone through the mud because you don't like them for some perceived crime against gender equality.

Also:
    This is an issue because its just one more example of the SU being misogynist. And I'm sick of it and being represented by them.
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Actually when was the SU misogynist in the past? Genuine question.

??

Two things:

First, ease up people. Not a mod, hate backseat modding, but feel the need to call it out.

Second, FemSoc actually do loads of really good events - it's just the sensationalist, semi-evil bullying that explodes Facebook. Though I don't know the internal politics of it at all (never did), I'm 99% certain those responsible aren't in Maynooth this year, hence it generally being quieter/not mental.

It is 5:40pm, March 9th 2014.
    Banquo has defended FemSoc.

I have no issue with FemSoc at all, but this whole incident isn't a gender equality issue really.

Actually can't believe nobody's used the Mrs Lovejoy "Think of the children" meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It is 5:40pm, March 9th 2014.
    Banquo has defended FemSoc.

an inconceivable event.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The SU recently ran a "take me out" night where men get judged by a panel of women. No mention of that though.

ofcourse not , this is basically how maynooth reacts to things :

in some tumblr radfem world it could be considered offensive - people from go fcuking apesh*t nuts about it and femsoc condemn it.

its organised by a male sabbat and it in some way involves a woman being in any less clothing than a truck driver shirt and jeans - people from go fcuking apesh*t nuts about it and femsoc condemn it.

its organised by a whole committee and some woman is managing some element of it somewhere - not even news worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sparrow93

I wonder who leaked the story to the paper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

It's completely different than something like take me out. They guys that done take me out done it themselves for the fun, they weren't paid for it and they didn't do anything wrong.

On the other hand the strippers were paid snip to strip, not because they want to but because they needed the money. I'm also pretty sure the guys on take me out didn't strip off on stage and start to finger each other...

DylanII wrote: »
    It's completely different than something like take me out. They guys that done take me out done it themselves for the fun, they weren't paid for it and they didn't do anything wrong.

On the other hand the strippers were paid snip to strip, not because they want to but because they needed the money. I'm also pretty sure the guys on take me out didn't strip off on stage and start to finger each other...

theres no way you could possibly know that. Is it an entirely inconceivable idea that women actually enjoy taking off their clothes and showing off their bodies.

• Advertisement

Do you know these girls personally? If not then there's no evidence for what you're saying. And didn't banquo say that is wasn't paid for using SU money?

So basically everything in this paragraph is conjecture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

RIGHT! LISTEN UP!

Things are going to get heated and uncivil in here given recent events so I'm putting this out here now.
    Keep the viciousness to yourselves.
    Before you post take a moment and look at what you've written
    STOP POSTING THINGS AS FACT THAT HAVE YET TO BE PROVEN AS FACT
    2hydxdc.jpg
    (yes I realise the irony of using Archer, but the joke was right there)

STOP TRYING TO GET A RISE OUT OF EACH OTHER! (it'll only get a rise out of me and Siomha and then out comes the hammer)
    Any snide remarks against boardsies (from either side of this argument) will result in infractions and bans.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Actually can't believe nobody's used the Mrs Lovejoy "Think of the children" meme.

I generally leave the Simpsons quotes to you...

Thwip! wrote: »
    RIGHT! LISTEN UP!

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Thwip! wrote: »
    RIGHT! LISTEN UP!

You guys are so silly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

jubella wrote: »
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

33806893.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Funny-Simpsons-Quotes-101-247x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 storm42

If you are going to be in a position like Mal's you really need to control how you appear online. He is not a child, excuses like being "fraped" by your mates are not going to cut it.

Advertisement