Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dad's signature required for passport?

• 19-01-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

does the mother not need the dads signiture for the passport? my ex is bringin my son on holiday to america for 2 weeks and i dont have a problem and just said to her id sign any forms she needed!! she basically laughed at me and told me shes sole guarian and doesnt need my permission! i told her she needs me to sign for passport! im named on his birthcert and he has her and mine surname!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

lakes1985 wrote: »
    does the mother not need the dads signiture for the passport? my ex is bringin my son on holiday to america for 2 weeks and i dont have a problem and just said to her id sign any forms she needed!! she basically laughed at me and told me shes sole guarian and doesnt need my permission! i told her she needs me to sign for passport! im named on his birthcert and he has her and mine surname!

I don't think she needs it unless you're also registered as your sons Guardian. My ex got me to sign passport application and witnessed at the local Garda Station, so that she could get our daughter a passport and they could travel to the UK to visit her sister.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moved this to it's own thread OP as the other one was over a year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Unless you are a legal guardian (and you're not automatically a guardian unless you are married, does not matter if you are on the birth certificate or he has your surname) you're ex does not need your permission for anything. You need to apply for it through mediation or the court system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

HI, when getting passports for my guys (unwed but fathers name on birth cert) i had the option of signing an affidavit saying that i was sole guardian or bringing their dad with me and him signing the form in front of a garda. I had him sign at the garda sation.

I take it your ex must have signed an affidavit, this has to have in before a commissioner of oaths.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

Passports for children
    Since October 2004 all children, regardless of age, must obtain an individual Irish passport in their own name. Three year passports are available for children under 3, and five year passports are available for children between 3-17 years.

If you are or were married to the other parent of your child or if you are a joint guardian of the child, both parents or guardians must sign the parental consent section (Section 7) of the passport application form. The situation is different if you are the sole guardian of a child. Instead of completing the second part of the parental consent section, you will have to sign an affidavit stating that you are the sole guardian. Every application for a passport of a child under 18 years must be accompanied by the full birth certificate showing the names of the child's parents.

Children who are already included on a parent’s passport, issued before 1 October 2004, may continue to travel to most countries up to their 16th birthday along with that parent. There are, however, some exceptions.

There is more information on applying for a child's passport in our document on passports for children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

She can sign an affidavit then she doesn't need your sig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

AFFIDAVIT TO BE SWORN BY FATHER OR A MOTHER WHO CLAIMS TO BE THE SOLE GUARDIAN OF THE INFANT.

I (full name) ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬__________________________________________________________
    of (full address) _______________________________________________________

1) I am the father/mother of (full names of child) _______________________________
    born the ____ day of ________________ in the year of __________ . I beg to refer to the birth certificate of the said infant upon which, marked with the letter “X”, I have signed my name prior to the swearing hereof.

2) I say that I am the sole guardian of the said infant and that:
    a) there is no Court Order giving the father/mother or any other person Guardianship over the said infant:
    b) that I have not entered into any arrangement or agreement which has the effect of making, or purports to make the father/mother or any other person guardian of the said child jointly with me;
    c) that no other person is a guardian by operation of law;
    d) that no other circumstances exist whereby there is or may be a guardian.

3) I make this Affidavit from facts within my own knowledge save where otherwise appears.
    Sworn and declared by the above named __________________________________________________ this ______ day of _________________, 20_____ at ________________________________________
    before me (print full name) ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________ and I know the deponent:_________________________
    Signature of Deponent OFFICIAL
    _____________________________________ SEAL OR
    Signature of Person Administering Oath/Declaration STAMP
    and Telephone Number ________________________________________
    NOTES
    At appropriate places please delete either the word “father” or the word “mother” and make any other amendments or deletions as appropriate
    This document must be sworn or declared before a person authorised by law to administer oaths.

NOTES AFFIDAVIT 1

Where a person claims to be the sole guardian of a child and in order to comply with the terms of the Status of Children Act, 1987 it is necessary to complete the attached Affidavit form [AFF 1].

This should be completed in the presence of a Solicitor or Commissioner for Oaths.

This Affidavit should be accompanied by -
    • the regular passport application form, APS1 [where the applicant is resident in the State] or APS2 [where the applicant is resident abroad] ;
    • the child’s long form birth/adoption certificate and previous passport, if applicable; and,
    • in the case of children born in Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 the Long Form Birth certificate or Irish passport of the parent. Where the parent is not an Irish citizen other documents in regard to the parent are required. Full details on these requirements are set out in the notice New Citizenship Changes effective from 01 January 2005 on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

She laughed at you because you have no legal relationship with your son. This means that she can do whatever she pleases and you have absolutely no say in the matter.

If you want to be a Legal Guardian, you can obtain it in 3 ways.
    1) Marry the mother :eek:
    2) Ask your ex to consent.
    3) Apply for guardianship through the courts.

As you can see, a fathers relationship with his child(ren) is totally dependent on his relationship with the mother.
    NB: If you get guardianship, you will be ignored and your consent WILL NOT be required for school enrolment, health care matters, etc. but you WILL be in a position to make numerous complaints through the Equality Tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Even if there is no fathers name on the birth cert you still need an affidavit. I had to do one myself for my eldest a few years back.

Advertisement