Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I know that ALL infrastructure investment is in a low place right now, but if there was even a half effort at doing sustainable transport correctly it would be so much better for everyone. I've said it before on here, I don't think it makes sense that a city the size of Cork should be getting that high a traffic count through the tunnel.
    100% this.

The city is still being driven (sorry!) by the CASP plan which is now obsolete. The CMATS being published in January should be the beginning of a makeover of mentality in what needs doing in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

marno21 wrote: »
    Unlikely to be too much disruption as it's a 3.5 year build.

There will mainly be disruption and closures at night with that timescale. Possibly a weekend closure but it's hard to tell yet.

Pleased to hear that, even if 3.5 years will definitely bring rise to another significant increase in traffic volumes, thus partially offsetting the benefits of the scheme. In other words, more needs to be done in and around the city, alongside this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The Bloomfield interchange really needs changing too which will probably happen with the M28 but westbound traffic will be backed to the tunnel in the morning at rush hour from Bloomfield.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Truckermal wrote: »
    The Bloomfield interchange really needs changing too which will probably happen with the M28 but westbound traffic will be backed to the tunnel in the morning at rush hour from Bloomfield.
    In what way would you suggest Bloomfield needs changing?

The M40 westbound from the M28 will be an issue because of the Douglas flyover, but that's irrespective of the M28 being built at all, just simple traffic growth.

In what way would you suggest Bloomfield needs changing?

The M40 westbound from the M28 will be an issue because of the Douglas flyover, but that's irrespective of the M28 being built at all, just simple traffic growth.

Traffic exiting Bloomfield heading west on the N40 really slows down traffic as it merges but a third lane over Douglas would probably sort that. Traffic often comes to a stop at Mahon some mornings as a result so imagine how bad that will be in 3.5 years!

I know I know this is all O/T!

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »

Traffic exiting Bloomfield heading west on the N40 really slows down traffic as it merges but a third lane over Douglas would probably sort that. Traffic often comes to a stop at Mahon some mornings as a result so imagine how bad that will be in 3.5 years!

I know I know this is all O/T!
    It's not really off topic at all. It's perfectly acceptable to discuss what the consequences of the Dunkettle upgrade will be. There was plenty of debate on the Bandon/Sarsfield thread on what would happen to the N40 eastbound when they were complete.

I think at this stage TII need to start planning on moving beyond the N40. It's too constrained because of its route for it to be a 3 lane highway along its entire length and the cost of obscenely expensive projects such as widening the Douglas flyover or adding another tunnel bore could be better invested elsewhere in either road measures, or alternative measures.

In road measures, the completion of the Ballincollig-Killeens-Glanmire M40 is an absolute no brainer. In time, there may be merit to a motorway from Ringaskiddy to Ballinhassig linking up with a future M71 from Inishannon to Curraheen or so. This is all colossally expensive stuff though due to terrain, but if the North Ring Road had been built when it was supposed to we could be onto other stuff now.

The 1998 Road Needs Study planned dual carraigeway from Macroom to Youghal via the N40, Cork to Charleville, upgrading the Airport Road to DC, a full North Ring from Ballincollig to Glanmire, a heavily upgraded N28 (it was to be wide 2 lane, this was before the Port move plans and expansion of the pharma sector even more) and a dual carraigeway to Inishannon, wide 2 lane road to Clonakilty and upgraded N71 to Skibbereen.

The sum total of the above complete is 0km of it. All that was done from that Road Needs Study was the M8 and the Ballincollig bypass along with the N40 junction upgrades.

Jesus Christ imagine that's 20 years ago all that could have been built for a fraction of today's cost! The Ballincollig to Blarney section is really needed though I hate travelling it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Bloomfield is being upgraded when going N28 to N40 West. Douglas flyover needs upgrading too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

I think at this stage TII need to start planning on moving beyond the N40. It's too constrained because of its route for it to be a 3 lane highway along its entire length and the cost of obscenely expensive projects such as widening the Douglas flyover or adding another tunnel bore could be better invested elsewhere in either road measures, or alternative measures.

Couldn't agree more, and the 3 lanes are like 2.5 lanes becuase of middle lane hoggers. Money better spent on other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyone know when heavy construction is to commence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone know when heavy construction is to commence?

Note sure TBH. The latest email on this (from last Friday) stated the following...
    Ground investigation works are continuing throughout the site. These works will continue for a number of months but there will be no impact on traffic over the next few weeks.

Over the coming days, a works access will be constructed at the eastbound on-lane to the N25 from the Bury’s Bridge/Dunkettle Road area. A stop/go system will be in operation here during off peak hours but no significant disruption to traffic is anticipated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Ground works proving 'challenging' after discovery of silt that is 200ft deep in places.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Dunkettle-Interchange-upgrade-hit-140280a0-cf66-4474-9f33-e316beee1591-ds

Sisk have filed a pre-application consultation with An Bord Pleanala relating to the Dunkettle Interchange scheme. Doesn't seem to be any further details on it up on their website

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/303549.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

ooo interesting. Wonder what they're looking to change.

Freeflow access from M8(S) to N8(W) [towards Tivoli] hopefully.

Wonder what will happen to all the bunnies living in the grass area at the center of the roundabout. The "earthworks" just next to the concrete bridge structures are all rabbit holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

My wish-list is that and an East-West pedestrian/cycle route.

If they don't do either of these now, it will be SO much more expensive to do them later.

Live traffic website now live at https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Live traffic website now live at https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie

Great to see that up. Gotta say though, the positioning of the N25 camera is poor. Too much focus on the flyover, and not on the traffic heading to the tunnel. Would love if they put up a feed the far side of the tunnel too... and another around Douglas so you can see how bad the tailbacks are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sisk have filed a pre-application consultation with An Bord Pleanala relating to the Dunkettle Interchange scheme. Doesn't seem to be any further details on it up on their website

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/303549.htm

Wonder does it relate to the challenging conditions Corktrucker linked to further upthe page.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie

Was working as live video stream earlier but I can only see still pics now for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie

Was working as live video stream earlier but I can only see still pics now for some reason.

These feeds can slow down when a lot of people are viewing at the one time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Bacchus wrote: »
    Great to see that up. Gotta say though, the positioning of the N25 camera is poor. Too much focus on the flyover, and not on the traffic heading to the tunnel. Would love if they put up a feed the far side of the tunnel too... and another around Douglas so you can see how bad the tailbacks are.

Pity also they have not got the feed from the cameras positioned on the N40 side of the tunnel, would be handy to see the tail backs going North bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I said previously the M50/N7 junction design was changed after the contract had been awarded and was dismissed.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a significant change given it's a consultation and not due to be decided until May.

That does not seem like a minor change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A change in the motorway order does indeed make me think that its a bit more than a cosmetic change. Heres hoping they're not going to screw it up at the last minute....

I remember the N7/M50 changes alright, still have the pics somewhere... that was a change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Let's all hope for a Los Angeles style mega flyover.

The original design had a pedestrian crossing on the motorway ramp, whereas later Cork Co. Co. plans on this see 1km northern detour of the entire interchange for pedestrians, so that's one obvious change.

There could be a number of such modifications bundled together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wonder what will happen to all the bunnies living in the grass area at the center of the roundabout. The "earthworks" just next to the concrete bridge structures are all rabbit holes.

Saw a fox in the middle of the roundabout, on Saturday afternoon, just watching the traffic... Bunnies won't be there long...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

My wish-list is that and an East-West pedestrian/cycle route.

If they don't do either of these now, it will be SO much more expensive to do them later.

I'd agree, and think there should be a public transport hub/ interchange as near as possible to the new junction, and the rail line,
    So you could get off a train from Midleton and head towards mahon, or femoy,
    way too late, though it'll need to be done later at vast expense

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'd agree, and think there should be a public transport hub/ interchange as near as possible to the new junction, and the rail line,
    So you could get off a train from Midleton and head towards mahon, or femoy,
    way too late, though it'll need to be done later at vast expense

That could be added later easily enough since it won't actually be in the junction for obvious reasons.

spacetweek wrote: »
    That could be added later easily enough since it won't actually be in the junction for obvious reasons.

I'd say the only logical location for this would be on the Tivoli side.

That's the side that you can't reach from the M8 without first going through the Little Island detour (weaving, dumbbell interchange U-turn and 3km diversion).

They're planning to put traffic lights on the Dunkettle roundabout too, so that will be yet another issue.

• Advertisement

It'll probably will end up nearly at tivoli, so probably wouldnts serve the n40m, and tunnel much, and probably wouldn't serve much of glanmire either...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement