Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need info! Help!

• 03-04-2013 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi. Can anyone tell me if all PC games work on a laptop? Sorry but i know nothing about this subject and want to buy games for my son. We have a laptop so wondering if all PC games work on laptops.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Moved from fighting games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It depends a lot on the laptop, do you know the make and model of the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭smokey32

Angron wrote: »
    It depends a lot on the laptop, do you know the make and model of the laptop?
    Hi. Its a Toshiba Satellite C660/C660D. Its about a year and a half old. Windows 7.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Just having a glance at the specs, you're gonna have an issue with the graphics card. It's integrated from what I can tell, which isn't the best for gaming.

Someone else can probably be of more use though, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

smokey32 wrote: »
    Hi. Can anyone tell me if all PC games work on a laptop? Sorry but i know nothing about this subject and want to buy games for my son. We have a laptop so wondering if all PC games work on laptops.
    Thanks

if its an alienware, yes. :)

• Advertisement

shinkansen wrote: »
    if its an alienware, yes. :)
    Those are bloody expensive though, and you can get decent gaming laptops for a heck of a lot cheaper.

i would be surprised if the free windows games ran on that, just saw what model.

not a hope of running any games on that.

Just having a glance at the specs, you're gonna have an issue with the graphics card. It's integrated from what I can tell, which isn't the best for gaming.

Someone else can probably be of more use though, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff.
    Ok Thanks

Those are bloody expensive though, and you can get decent gaming laptops for a heck of a lot cheaper.

you get what you pay for IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

what he said, mainly comes down to the games requirements.
    the minimum are generally on the back of the box,

also theres a website called canyourunit, search the name of the game, and it should check if your laptop will run it

Link: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Have the same laptop, got ME3 running fine on it.

You wont get games running at massivly detailed resolutions but they should work. Any idea on the kinds of games you are planning to try play on it?

Gunmonkey wrote: »

You wont get games running at massivly detailed resolutions but they should work. Any idea on the kinds of games you are planning to try play on it?
    Hi. There just Sherlock Holmes mystery games. Solving puzzles and hidden objects. That kind of thing.

smokey32 wrote: »
    Hi. There just Sherlock Holmes mystery games. Solving puzzles and hidden objects. That kind of thing.

Ah those should run fine, not very visually taxing.

:)
    Ah those should run fine, not very visually taxing.
    Thanks for that Gunmonkey. All i needed to know.

lankz92 wrote: »
    what he said, mainly comes down to the games requirements.
    the minimum are generally on the back of the box,

also theres a website called canyourunit, search the name of the game, and it should check if your laptop will run it

Link: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
    Hi I checked the game i wanted to run. Its just a simple sherlock holmes mystery game. This website says it wont work. So do i take that as gospel and not buy the game? Thanks for the link.:mad:

Hi. I typed the name of the Sherlock Holmes game into the link that the chap above sent and according to that the game wont run on the laptop. I then typed in Mass Effect 3 and was told the same thing. But you said you have the same laptop and that Mass Effect 3 runs fine. A bit confused now. Help

Mass Effect 3 wont run on intel graphics..

period.

i would be surprised if sherlock holmes worked also.! intel graphics are not for gaming, they are used for laptops while they are NOT gaming and the cpu will switch to dedicated gpu for games.

that's the way most modern laptops work, intel graphics are really bad dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Going by the time period that you suggested - 1.5 years old, I'd say you probably have a Sandy Bridge CPU - i3/i5/i7 2xxx?
    Sandy Bridge = Intel's codename for that generation. You can identify it as the CPU number starts with a "2", e.g., i3-2310M, i5-2520M.
    That would give you Intel HD 2000 or HD 3000, which is actually reasonably good relative to previous generations.

There's a few Sherlock Holmes games, but if it's the most recent, it should still work. You'll have to lower the details in the game menu to ensure a smooth flow.

Here's a youtube video of some with an i5-2320 (Intel HD 2000 Graphics).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rfgPS_LMO0

If you have an i3-2xxx, I'd imagine much the same performance. If you have something lower like a Celeron or Pentium, I'd have my doubts as the graphics power is lower again and it could be previous generations.

Not sure on the exact make the OP has, but mines a Satellite C660-26H, got it from Argos just over a year ago when it was on sale. Pentium B950, 4GB RAM and Win7 64bit, ran Mass Effect 3, Dungeon Defenders and Killing Floor no problem while I was using it, wasnt stellar graphics but they werent ugly either.

EDIT: Just booted up the laptop and checked ME3, DD, KF and also League of Legends on the "Can I Run It" website as those were the 4 main games I played on it, failed me on all bar Dungeon Defenders. On LoL it said I failed as I needed:

64MB of GPU RAM, listed me as having 1.7GB (whats left over after Windows takes its slice, but split between GPU and normal RAM for running games)
    Pixel Shader 2.0, listed 4.1 from the laptop
    Vertex Shader 2.0, also listed 4.1 from the laptop

Now checking the Sherlock game, it needs 2GB RAM, version 3.0 for Pixel and Vertex Shaders and 256MB GPU RAM, which is no problem as thats the same specs as Mass Effect 3 has.

As Sarn says, dont take that site as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

lankz92 wrote: »

I wouldn't rely entirely on that site if your computer comes up as a borderline fail. I have used it to see if my laptop can play several games and it has come up as a fail, Far Cry 3 being the most recent example. It runs perfectly on my system with no issues, albeit on the lowest settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The problem here is that according to the Toshiba website that model of laptop can have anywhere from 1 to 6 GB RAM, and can have anywhere from an i3 to an old celeron processor.

Smokey32:
    You should do this: Go to Start > Run and type "dxdiag", hit return. This will give a nice summary of your system. Tell us exactly what it says for "Processor", "Memory" and, under the "Display" tab at the top what it says under "Name".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd agree that if you're not looking to run visually taxing games and don't mind the lower end of the detail settings, you shouldn't really have a problem. Certainly from the sound of the games you want to run I reckon you'll be fine.

Zillah wrote: »
    The problem here is that according to the Toshiba website that model of laptop can have anywhere from 1 to 6 GB RAM, and can have anywhere from an i3 to an old celeron processor.

Smokey32:
    You should do this: Go to Start > Run and type "dxdiag", hit return. This will give a nice summary of your system. Tell us exactly what it says for "Processor", "Memory" and, under the "Display" tab at the top what it says under "Name".
    Hi. The following means absolutely nothing to me so hoping you know what it means.
    Processor- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M380 @ 2.53GHz (4CPU), ~ 205Ghz.

Memory- 4096 MB RAM

Name- Intel(R) Hd Graphics.

. If its any help the game is The Testament Of Sherlock Holmes.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's a generation older again and it was a reasonably big step in graphics between these generations. It should run alright; there's someone running it on an X3100 on youtube which is two generations older again, albeit lowish frame rates and details turned way down.

It will run, going by the evidence of people using integrated graphics of CPUs around yours. However, you'll need to adjust resolution and detail levels in the game menu to fine tune the demands of the game with the capabilities of the laptop. Best to run it for a little while and move the sliders down if it's choppy or up if you think your laptop can do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ok, well yes, the thing is, your processor and RAM should be more than enough for the game, but technically the graphics card does not meet their requirements. However, I would wager that the game would run, you'd just have to keep the graphics options low. It is a bit of a gamble so it's up to you :)

If you're looking for good games for kids you should try Minecraft.

Advertisement