Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend aircraft games (military)

• 01-04-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am looking for a game which works similar to Eurofighter typhoon, where you have ground targets and detailed mission planning etc. The problem with those games like 'Birds of steel' is that once you're up in the air, it's just another shooting game, and a very bland one at that.

Maybe a military strategy game too.

I'm thinking something like Apache air assault, except fighter jets. For the PS3 or PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Try endwar or ruse for some strategy, the only jet aircraft game ive played is hawk which I liked, air to ground tactics and dogfights were always present in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Lockon give you... 4 planes to fly one of which is the Waarthog so that should suffice. It's one of those games where you have to press 10 keys to arm a bomb by which time you've flown over the target. Good tho once you get into it.

Haven't played but there is a thread here on DCS: A-10C Warthog. Looks pretty, no idea if it's any good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you don't mind the outdated graphics, have a look at Comanche 4, where you fly the now cancelled RAH-66 Comanche attack helicopter. Used the X52 when playing it. Also, have a look at "War Thunder" which is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vronki

the_syco wrote: »
    If you don't mind the outdated graphics, have a look at Comanche 4, where you fly the now cancelled RAH-66 Comanche attack helicopter. Used the X52 when playing it. Also, have a look at "War Thunder" which is free.

okay thanks. Checking out war thunder.

edit..

War thunder looks superb. I'd need a better card fr that now though. and the a new PSU probably. it's all money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Another vote for Comanche here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

B 17 Flying Fortress
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/b-17-flying-fortress-the-mighty-8th

it's abit dated but you can switch different positions on the plane and manage your crew. Its old but a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Depend what level of difficulty you want...
    http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

A-10 , Black Shark 2 , P51 are all amazing simulators but a high learning curve.

As stated above B17 is simply amazing even in this day and age.

WAR Thunder is another arcade sim but has it's moments.

il2 1946 is still the best Sim out there, and although it's sequel Cliffs of Dover was a brutal mess on release there are a number of Mods now available that make it very impressive.
    try simhq.com for a better list of Sims :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I used to own a game called "USAF" many, many years ago. Loved it so much but it got lost when I moved homes over a decado ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

DCS A-10 is hilariously complicated! 669 page user manual! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

The il-Sturmovik series perhaps. I played the demo IL-2 Sturmovik on the PS3 and it was fun. Not my cup of tea, but then I don't think I am a fan of the genre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement