Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for HTC Desire

• 11-10-2011 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

My original model HTC Desire is slowly deteriorating and anyhow I'm thinking of changing network.

What should I replace it with - bearing in mind I like it it does exactly what I want it to.

I'd be interested to replace it with another HTC but the sheer number of models confuse the feck out of me. Whats the best new model HTC to replace it with ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Im in the same boat and thinking of either getting an xperia play or a lg optimus 7. Sim free these phones are both under 230 euro. Not sure which one to get though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i replaced mine with the htc sensation. bigger screen, better camera and it doesn't have the annoying memory issues with apps that the desire has (desire has 100meg approx and the sensation has 1100meg approx).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

G A L A X Y S 2

personally switched from desire to the s2. this phone is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok I should say I'm not interested in a phone that is physically bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Doesn't leave much. Don't know why manufacturers think bigger is better... Nexus S I think would be a good option.

• Advertisement

Doesn't leave much. Don't know why manufacturers think bigger is better... Nexus S I think would be a good option.

Yeah at this rate iphone is starting to look attractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If its doing what you want then why change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I recommend buying your phone in the uk, carphone warehouse comes unlocked,
    if you choose you dont want to be tied to a network like meeeee.
    Thats only if you choose to go out and pay €£400+ up front.

Otherwise your shtuck with bill pay. Here in Irlande :pac:

Happy Phone hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Desire S is a great phone. Better screen, faster processor, more ram, better battery, upgraded camera + front facing camera.

If you don't want a bigger phone, it might be ideal. I have one & its capable of anything I've thrown at it.

seanybiker wrote: »
    If its doing what you want then why change?

At times its not. There are intermittent problem accessing the HD card tht means an app I need workwise doesn't always work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

the s2 is physically smaller than the desire. old school geometry :)

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/33161-HTC-Desire-vs-Galaxy-S2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you might think this until you have tried the SGS2 for a while. its lighter and thinner than the desire. everytime i pick up my old desire now i squint a bit and get annoyed at its pudginess
    Yeah at this rate iphone is starting to look attractive

lol, u mad bro :pac:

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The Desire S is a great phone. Better screen, faster processor, more ram, better battery, upgraded camera + front facing camera.

If you don't want a bigger phone, it might be ideal. I have one & its capable of anything I've thrown at it.

Ok so - the main thing that attracts me to iPhone is that glorious retina display. How does the Desire S screen compare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I haven't looked at them side by side, but my screen is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was gonna say the Desire S as well, but I'm not sure if its an upgrade, or just the same as the Desire with more internal memory.

The specs are pretty much the same. Its a bit like a "bugfix" release. Its more polished all round but almost the same phone. But if you would like a Desire with them little niggly things fixed, the Desire S is for you.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I was gonna say the Desire S as well, but I'm not sure if its an upgrade, or just the same as the Desire with more internal memory.

The specs are pretty much the same. Its a bit like a "bugfix" release. Its more polished all round but almost the same phone. But if you would like a Desire with them little niggly things fixed, the Desire S is for you.

Yeah to be honest I might just go for this as I don't have time nor energy for researching up the options (hence the lazyness inherent in this thread :P). Realistically I won't have cash for iphone and I don't want to be tethered to new contract anyhow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sony experia neo prehaps?

The_B_Man wrote: »

Hey Bman - how does the battery on the Desire S compare to the original Desire ? Anything less and I'll not be happy. The Desire is just tolerable as long as bunch of stuff not on.

I havent gotten to test it, since its not my Desire S. I've the regular Desire. But from what I've seen, its definitely not worse than the Desire. Its meant to be better anyway, but I reckon its only a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

have a look at LG Optimus 3D. I'm very happy with the phone

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    have a look at LG Optimus 3D. I'm very happy with the phone

Thanks but 4.3inch is too big imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Thanks but 4.3inch is too big imho!

Its not imo. i have the sensation 4.3 and i feel i could go bigger. :pac:

I agree with OP. The HTC Desire is the perfect size. and I wouldnt go any bigger either.

I've used SGSII's in work and didnt like them. Me mate has a HTC HD2 and its too big. I've also seen the sensation in the shops and have thought it was too big.

I reckon 3.7" is the sweet spot!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Not sure if this is any help but I recently got a desire s and I love it . For the first few weeks I was disappointed with the battery but then I was coming from an E51 which had a fantastic battery life . After a bit of research on the net and without curtailing my use of the Desire I can get about a day and a half out of the battery . So you will definitely get a day out of it if thats what you were getting from the old desire .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

if you definitely don't want a bigger size, i'd say desire s aswell

So 4 months later.
    Update is this. I bought an iphone. Hated it. Returned it after week and stuck with my desire. The buggy software seemed to miraculously fix itself.
    I was going to get a galaxy S2 but then realised it was near the end of its life cycle and is too expensive and the S3 was expected soon so I was going to hold out.

Anyhow dropped the desire this morning and the camera seems to be dead - whenever I run the camera app the screen just stays black. Its not hung I can press the home button and the android screen comes back. I presume the camera is physically fubared.

Anyhow - since S3 is not out yet. What are the other options ? (Not Galaxy Nexus - not interested).

I've changed my mind on size after using the iphone and i'm happy for 4.5inch devices. But want hi def screen.

What other phones are out there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭Deank

So 4 months later.
    Update is this. I bought an iphone. Hated it. Returned it after week and stuck with my desire. The buggy software seemed to miraculously fix itself.
    I was going to get a galaxy S2 but then realised it was near the end of its life cycle and is too expensive and the S3 was expected soon so I was going to hold out.

Anyhow dropped the desire this morning and the camera seems to be dead - whenever I run the camera app the screen just stays black. Its not hung I can press the home button and the android screen comes back. I presume the camera is physically fubared.

Anyhow - since S3 is not out yet. What are the other options ? (Not Galaxy Nexus - not interested).

I've changed my mind on size after using the iphone and i'm happy for 4.5inch devices. But want hi def screen.

What other phones are out there ?

If you can hold off until April HTC are bringing put a new range of devices.

Links below:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_edge-4320.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_ville-4325.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_primo-4457.php

My preference would be the the Edge but I'm using an XL at the moment, you quickly get used to the 4.7" screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had a Desire, convinced the wife to get a Desire S and got jealous, so I upgraded myself to a Sensation XE because I wanted to go up in size. If you like the HTC look and feel, you want one of these: the Desire S if you're sticking with Desire size but want more oomph and storage; the Sensation XE (faster CPU) if you want bigger and faster still. Both will be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, and they're relatively affordable because they're on the market a while.

Don't buy the S2 without holding one, it feels completely different in the hand, the HTC handsets are a lot more ergonomic imho. Similarly, don't buy >4.3" without holding it, they really are quite big. I already have to reach to the top-left on the Sensation, I simply couldn't use a bigger phone, they feel and look ridiculous to me.

All that being said, if screen quality is an important factor, go look at an S2, they're renowned for their screens; and if you want the raw, uncut Android, the Nexus is the way to go.

The edge looks awesome though possibly a bit big. I honestly think the ideal screen stats are 4"- 4.3" with approx 300dpi density. That would be epic.

I have to say the samsung screens really appeal. The brightness is just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

From the Desire HD I'd like to see one of those HTC phones with a better screen and better camera. The battery life wasn't an issue as I'd nearly always get a full day out of it unless heavy useage. Love the HTC sense UI and having seen the SGII, I don't want to leave HTC despite the samsung screen and camera being better. Got a text to tell me I'm entitled to an upgrade, and now have an itch that needs scratching!!

Advertisement