Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorials Thread

• 17-02-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hey There Guys,

I've put together a Case study report for college that I thought that may be of interest to someone as it can be seen as a sort of tutorial.

If any one is doing CCNA it should definitely be of interest.

It includes topics such as:

ISDN
    Frame Relay
    Overloaded NAT
    Multi Area OSPF with redistributed RIP advertisements and Route Summarisation with Stub Areas etc

I just think it would be a waste if it was just shown to a lecturer and then thrown away.

Anyways might be of use.

Here it is: http://www.killarneyonline.eu/networks/casestudy.pdf

Edit: - Not saying its completely accurate! - Even though the whole network worked well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Looks pretty interesting even though I've just had a quick glance over the first couple of pages. I've been thinking of creating a stick thread with a few tutorials in it (I know I promised some people a file sharing tutorial a while back but other things got in the way).

Would you have any objection to me changing the title of this thread and stickying it and perhaps adding to it over time Webmonkey?

My Windows Vista File Sharing Tutorial:

Sorry about to delay to the people I mentioned it to.

This thread is to be used to post tutorials, anyone can contribute as long as it's relevant to Nets & Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

No probs at all rmacm, sticky it away :)

Webmonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Ok, something a little...different here. I've a spare 30 mins this morning, so I thought i'd throw up a quick howto on WCCP!

WCCP is like automated/load balancing PBR (Policy Based Routing), and it's a Cisco protocol, but it's open (Squid proxy supports WCCP, as does Bluecoat). A quick Wikipedia link is here: WCCP. I apologise that this will be a Cisco specific guide!

WCCP is used to transparently intercept certain types of traffic, and redirect to another device. A typical use case for WCCP would be connecting a proxy to the network. Instead of configuring the proxy's IP on *every* host PC, you just use WCCP interception at the switch, and traffic gets redirected transparently to the user. This is quite useful for installing a transparent 'cache farm' in a larger enterprise/ISP to cut down on bandwidth costs.

WCCP uses both L2 or GRE to get traffic to/from the switch. L2 is just a re-write of the src/dst mac addresses, whereas GRE is where you encapsulate the original packet in a new IP packet.

Differences (brief):
    L2-consumes less CPU (if not supposed via CEF/fastpath). But needs to be on the same subnet (ie: cant cross L3)
    GRE-can span multiple L3 hops. Consumes more CPU on switch.

WCCP uses service groups to redirect traffic from multiple vlans/multiple directions. You can use service group 0 - 99 or web-cache.

You need two things when configuring WCCP,
    * A switch which supports WCCP. I'm using a Cat 6k, Sup720 running 12.2(33)SXF8. This has an interface in vlan 499, IP address 192.168.231.1
    * A 'client' device (usually a web proxy). I'll be using an ACNS, running 5.5.9. This has it's Gig1/0 in vlan 499, IP address does not matter ;)

Topology:
    Vlan 500 --> Router 
                       |
                       |
                Vlan 499 --> ACNS --> Internet 

Vlan

Steps:
    1) Configure your service groups
    Router>en
    Router#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
    Router(config)#ip wccp ?
      <0-99>     Dynamically defined service identifier number
      version    protocol version
      web-cache  Standard web caching service

Router(config)#ip wccp web-cache ?
      accelerated    Enable hardware acceleration
      group-address  Set the multicast group
      group-list     Set the access-list used to permit group membership
      password       Authentication password (key)
      redirect-list  Set the access-list used to permit redirection
      <cr>

Router(config)#ip wccp web-cache
    Router(config)#ip wccp version 2

So in the above example, I've enabled the the web-cache (ie: port 80) service on the switch 'Router' , then finally I enabled WCCP via the 'ip wccp ver 2' command.

2) Now I'm going to redirect traffic from vlan 500
    Router# conf t
    Router(config)# inter vlan 500
    Router(config-if)#ip wccp web-cache redirect in

3) Next up, I'm going to configure a client. This client is a proxy (Cisco ACNS)
    ACNS#conf t
    ACNS(config)# wccp router-list 1 192.168.231.1
    ACNS(config)# wccp web-cache router-list-num 1 ?
      assign-method-strict  Use configured assignment method only.
      l2-redirect           Packet forwarding by Layer 2 redirect
      l2-return             Packet return by Layer 2 rewrite
      mask-assign           Use the mask method for CE assignment
      password              Authentication password (key)
      weight                Assignment weight
      <cr>
    ACNS(config)# wccp web-cache router-list-num 1 
    ACNS(config)# wccp version 2

So what I'm doing here is first defining a list of switches 'router-list' which we want to register against.
    Next up I'm telling the ACNS to use the web-cache service group to register against this router list (notice the extra options I did not use), and finally, I'm running WCCP with the 'wccp ver 2' command.

4) Verify packets are being redirected:
    On the ACNS:
    ACNS#sh wccp gre
    Transparent non-GRE packets received:       17626
    Total packets accepted:                     17626

A lot of output was removed there, but the two listed counters should be incrementing over time.

On the Switch:
    cdn-2811-1#sh ip wccp
    Global WCCP information:
        Router information:
            Router Identifier:                   -not yet determined-
            Protocol Version:                    2.0

Service Identifier: 62
            Number of Service Group Clients:     0
            Number of Service Group Routers:     0
            Total Packets s/w Redirected:        0
              Process:                           0
              Fast:                              0
              CEF:                               0

Obviously, these packets *should* increment on the switch too, but a word of warnining: on the 6k, if WCCP is CEF accelerated, the sh ip wccp counters are not supported :(

And finally, troubleshooting!

You can use tethereal on the CLI of the ACNS:
    ACNS#tethereal -R "wccp" 

What to look for:
    HERE_I_AM and I_SEE_YOU messages, wireshark can decode these somewhat. Also check that all buckets are assigned (you can expand the packet in wireshark, you're looking for all 1's or F's)

Um, think that's about it! If anything is unclear, just give me a shout!
    Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

This tutorial basically shows how to configure inter vlan routing using one router and one switch. If you notice any mistakes please highlight them! Feedback appreciated.

I know its by no means perfect!

PDF in ZIP file attached.

:)

Hi,

I've attached a tutorial on setting up a VoIP Asterisk System. The software is open source and free to use so might be worth your while having a look.

Covers:

Basic set up of Extensions.
    Voice Mail.
    Menu Systems.
    Connecting to VoIP trunk such as blueface.ie

Discusses how to get it up as a Virtual Machine as well incase you don't want to go messing about with installing Linux.

Might be of some use to someone.

Can be found at: www.killarneyonline.eu/networks/asterisklab.pdf

Donal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Hi,

I've attached a tutorial on setting up a VoIP Asterisk System. The software is open source and free to use so might be worth your while having a look.

Covers:

Voice Mail.
    Menu Systems.

Discusses how to get it up as a Virtual Machine as well incase you don't want to go messing about with installing Linux.

Donal

You my friend are a legend. Now I know what to do with that old box that I got from work!

Ok like I said in the other thread it is indeed quick and dirty and doesn't go into a huge amount of detail. It's a brief explanation of the GUI and a run through doing a basic trace and then a trace using capture filters. Does anyone have anything else they'd like covered in particular when it comes to Wireshark?

If so either post here or drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Link dead??Can u rehost please!
    Am interested in the running on VM
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    Hi,

Covers:

Voice Mail.
    Menu Systems.

Donal

Had a copy of it saved myself so here it is.

Hey,

Sorry yeah meaning to post new links:

Cisco CCNA: http://www.donaloconnor.net/networks/casestudy.pdf
    Asterisk: http://www.donaloconnor.net/networks/asterisklab.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Great,Thanks Lads

Advertisement