Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What training / books do Eircom techs read when learning to do the job

• 20-04-2015 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering what books I could read to learn off the phone system, like.
    - wiring on the consumer site
    - wiring to the exchange
    - what goes on back at the exchange.

I've looked around but I cant find anything like what I'm looking for. Any Eircom or KN Network people can tell me what I need to read?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

From my experience with Eircom, something like this.....

Spots_first_walk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you wanna be a linesman?

Its a dying trade, coppers on the way out. If you wanna train Id say go down the fibre route. Study splicing, EPON/GPON, hanging and blowing practices. With FTTH coming into its own now thats where the demand will be.

Or just go the networking route and not up poles in the rain or called out at 2AM because a poles fallen into the road. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Do you wanna be a linesman?

Its a dying trade, coppers on the way out. If you wanna train Id say go down the fibre route. Study splicing, EPON/GPON, hanging and blowing practices. With FTTH coming into its own now thats where the demand will be.

Or just go the networking route and not up poles in the rain or called out at 2AM because a poles fallen into the road. :pac:

Bang on advise, its two copper wires in the end. Hard work but not complex work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I dont want to be a linesman, I just want to better understand what the Eircom guys are doing when they inevitably mess up... With the hope that I may be able to resolve issues with the line more quickly.. Wiring, testing the line, troubleshooting, what happens when the line hits the exchange... These are the things I want to know.. Surely there is a book that covers this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

http://amzn.to/1GmvZ1X

http://amzn.to/1HrV925

Two from Amazon can't vouch for them as I haven't read them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I dont want to be a linesman, I just want to better understand what the Eircom guys are doing when they inevitably mess up... With the hope that I may be able to resolve issues with the line more quickly.. Wiring, testing the line, troubleshooting, what happens when the line hits the exchange... These are the things I want to know.. Surely there is a book that covers this?

When Eircom mess up they most likely disconnect you or connect you to the wrong port. Without access to the exchange, cabs or distribution points on poles or in manholes there is no way of diagnosing a problem if one occurs. It's a step by step thing, confirm it works, measure how far the cable is going, check it there. It's a pair of cables, a dial tone is 55v but the voltage must be removed to measure distance which is why techs put a tone on it at the customers premises and build a path to the exchange from there step by step. Then when all is done it can be tested from the frame in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

When Eircom mess up they most likely disconnect you or connect you to the wrong port. Without access to the exchange, cabs or distribution points on poles or in manholes there is no way of diagnosing a problem if one occurs. It's a step by step thing, confirm it works, measure how far the cable is going, check it there. It's a pair of cables, a dial tone is 55v but the voltage must be removed to measure distance which is why techs put a tone on it at the customers premises and build a path to the exchange from there step by step. Then when all is done it can be tested from the frame in the exchange.

the voltage is dc 48v but yeah KN installers know feck all about line fixing. they use a tone meter not a proper multimeter or heritage meter so they cannot detect live line faults where there are shorts, earth faults or dc volt anomalies with a tone meter.

Eircom techs on the other hand do have heritage meters and know how to use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Most KN have heritage too just that KN techs do new provides and upgrades, Eircom techs mostly do line faults.

Advertisement