Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Better to pay incrementally or with lump sum

• 25-02-2015 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question on a loan I recently took out.

I got a €6000 on a fixed interest rate from Ulster Bank. My repayments are approx 300 a month but I have the capacity to pay more back.

My question is whether it's better to pay the extra back every month or so with my regular payment or throw the extra money into a savings account until I have enough to cover the balance of the loan?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Repay the loan if they'll allow it. The interest rate on the loan will be higher than that on a deposit account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Repay the loan if they'll allow it. The interest rate on the loan will be higher than that on a deposit account.

+1 but OP its a fixed rate product so very often these dont allow extra repayments or there is a penalty for this. Need to check with your bank what the situation is.

Advertisement