Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A little tale of the missing Rubecula

Options
  • 14-05-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

"Ugh". Rubecula woke with a start, it was about 03:30 in the morning, and a Monday morning at that. "Well not worth trying to go back to sleep now I have to be up at 4 for work" The main thought running through his head.

A quick shower and getting dressed later, and a bit of cereal for breakfast, Rubes was on his way. It had been two weeks since he had last been in work due to a nasty chest infection, but he could not afford to stay off any longer. Still coughing a bit he briefly wondered if he was over the worst after all.

A short time later, he pulled into the darkened car park and got out of the car. The hangar was already opened by another early riser, so without further ado he set off to make a mug of coffee before he checked on which aircraft he would be likely to be working on. Coffee in hand he sat at the table.....

Two seconds later he was upstanding again with beads of sweat running down his face.

"What is wrong with you?" A concerned workmate had seen the sudden jumping up.

"I don't know." Rube groaned. "I feel awful and I am in terrible pain underneath. As soon as I sat down it was like sitting on a barbed wire christmas tree." Rubes had to check the chair for signs of anything he had sat on. Nothing.

" I am not supposed to be back until tomorrow, I think I will go home and come back in the morning, I can't work like this. It would be unsafe."

"OK but let us know how you are, it is not usual for you to go home sick."

Rubecula went home with nether regions seemingly on fire. Once home he tried to sleep off the pain, there was nothing to see when he looked but everything was an agony of burning and stabbing.

After a restless Monday, and Monday night, Rubes woke up in pain. Really serious pain. Unable to stand easily he rolled sideways out of bed and immediately had to go to the bathroom to be sick. His next thought was to telephone work to let them know he was in no fit state to venture into work at all. "I am off to the hospital" he told his boss over the phone.

The next call was to get an ambulance, as he was not able to sit in the car, and on checking the site of this agony he was shocked to see an awful swelling of his gentleman parts. Everything was HUGE and red. Trying to keep a sense of humour if only for himself he joked "Take the pain and leave the swelling, the ladies will love you forever." However inside he knew this was pretty serious.

The Ambulance arrived and after a quick check and a few gasps of amazement from the medics at the sight of Rubes 'bits' they shot off to the hospital at a high speed. By this time it was all Rube could do to answer questions without a constant groan of agony.

In Accident and Emergency a yawning doctor took down some details and sent the ambulance crew on their way. "Right" he said to Rubes, in a bored way. " Lets have a look shall we."

As he looked at Rubes agonising portions his eyes widened in total shock. "DO you mind if I get the consultant in to look at this?"

"Anything at all", groaned Rubes. " I am in agony here please help"

The consultant duly came, as did a large number of doctors. "Do you mind if we bring in a few students to look?"

"That is fine" answered Rubes "If it helps get treatment for this pain. What is wrong with me?"

"Not seen it before, but I remember pictures from my texts from my training." The doctor looked very concerned. "The Consultant agree with me. It is up to you what we do now. Would you sign the forms for surgery?"

"Surgery" squeaked Rubes.

"Yes" said the doctor. "Without surgery you will be dead in less than six hours. This is a nasty flesh rotting disease you have contracted and one of the fastest moving ones we know about. You need emergency surgery, and you probably will not survive even with it."

Well folks that is totally true and the reason I have been away so much lately. Since that day in February I have five lots of surgery, a transfer between hospitals, a massive amount of drugs put into me, including a constant stream of morphine for the pain. I have survived (obviously) but I will be ill for many many months to come as I struggle to recover. Basically this post is trying to ask you to accept my apologies for being away, but hell why not make a story out of it :)

By the way, the disease has the horrible name of Fournier's Gangrene. If I had tried to sleep it off I would not be here today. If the Doctor had not remembered his training texts I would not be here today. If the wonderful nursing staff had not cared for me so much and so well I would not be here today.

Please excuse me if I do not post too often for a while though. I still get very tired very easily

Rubes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

I'm so glad you made it through, Rubecula. I hope you're better soon, but judging by the way you put that story together, you must be doing well; it's hard to put words together when you're on meds.

Missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Welcome back, Rubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you both for your kind comments. I am a lot better than I was. Back to normal really I suppose, well mentally I think I am back to normal. :D Physically I am weak and always falling asleep. But it is not too bad. After all who doesn't like the occasional nap? :)

I had lots of time to think up stories while I was in hospital too so that is great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

jaysus - giant genitalia and a flesh eating disease - now that's a story and a half!!

hope you're recovering well - was wondering where you'd got to!

I was so high on medication at the start, I wondered where I was too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

Rubecula wrote: »
    "Ugh". Rubecula woke with a start, it was about 03:30 in the morning, and a Monday morning at that. "Well not worth trying to go back to sleep now I have to be up at 4 for work" The main thought running through his head.

A quick shower and getting dressed later, and a bit of cereal for breakfast, Rubes was on his way. It had been two weeks since he had last been in work due to a nasty chest infection, but he could not afford to stay off any longer. Still coughing a bit he briefly wondered if he was over the worst after all.

A short time later, he pulled into the darkened car park and got out of the car. The hangar was already opened by another early riser, so without further ado he set off to make a mug of coffee before he checked on which aircraft he would be likely to be working on. Coffee in hand he sat at the table.....

Two seconds later he was upstanding again with beads of sweat running down his face.

"What is wrong with you?" A concerned workmate had seen the sudden jumping up.

"I don't know." Rube groaned. "I feel awful and I am in terrible pain underneath. As soon as I sat down it was like sitting on a barbed wire christmas tree." Rubes had to check the chair for signs of anything he had sat on. Nothing.

" I am not supposed to be back until tomorrow, I think I will go home and come back in the morning, I can't work like this. It would be unsafe."

"OK but let us know how you are, it is not usual for you to go home sick."

Rubecula went home with nether regions seemingly on fire. Once home he tried to sleep off the pain, there was nothing to see when he looked but everything was an agony of burning and stabbing.

After a restless Monday, and Monday night, Rubes woke up in pain. Really serious pain. Unable to stand easily he rolled sideways out of bed and immediately had to go to the bathroom to be sick. His next thought was to telephone work to let them know he was in no fit state to venture into work at all. "I am off to the hospital" he told his boss over the phone.

The next call was to get an ambulance, as he was not able to sit in the car, and on checking the site of this agony he was shocked to see an awful swelling of his gentleman parts. Everything was HUGE and red.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I knew what it was at this point! Not messing, was just reading about this yesterday as it came up in this reddit (some funny stories in that, worth a read) and I had had a google and image search:eek: (holy god).

You are lucky.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585703/

You're not as bad as the pics are ya???? Had you undiagnosed diabetes or any reason for it?

Well folks that is totally true and the reason I have been away so much lately. Since that day in February I have five lots of surgery, a transfer between hospitals, a massive amount of drugs put into me, including a constant stream of morphine for the pain. I have survived (obviously) but I will be ill for many many months to come as I struggle to recover. Basically this post is trying to ask you to accept my apologies for being away, but hell why not make a story out of it :)

By the way, the disease has the horrible name of Fournier's Gangrene. If I had tried to sleep it off I would not be here today. If the Doctor had not remembered his training texts I would not be here today. If the wonderful nursing staff had not cared for me so much and so well I would not be here today.

Please excuse me if I do not post too often for a while though. I still get very tired very easily
    I'd been wondering where you were gone to, hadn't seen you posting in Dinos and a few others.

snip---
    Well folks that is totally true and the reason I have been away so much lately. Since that day in February I have five lots of surgery
    snip---

Hi Rubecula,

I've been working on a rather complicated response to explain my recent story that lost to hcass in THE ARENA, and was waiting until hcass and alfa beta were finished, but I keep feeling the need to come back here to this thread, especially since you got a visit today from the good doctor. I re-read your story, but this time, I was stopped in my tracks.

Did you go to the hospital on Feb 26? And if so, do you believe we all have more than 5 senses and we are all naturally connected? If so, can I speak about what happened to you [nothing personal] and how there is some ESP goin' on here?

This train of thought actually relates to the 2 stories just written in THE ARENA as well. The Whistle was not "random," as alfa beta thinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good lord :eek:
    I'm glad it was caught!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I knew what it was at this point! Not messing, was just reading about this yesterday as it came up in this reddit (some funny stories in that, worth a read) and I had had a google and image search:eek: (holy god).

You are lucky.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585703/

You're not as bad as the pics are ya???? Had you undiagnosed diabetes or any reason for it?

I'd been wondering where you were gone to, hadn't seen you posting in Dinos and a few others.

Well yes I haven't posted in anywhere really for a while and that is the reason. Nasty little irritation that disease. It annoyed me slightly. I was pretty bad, not sure which pictures you looked at but they all came round to photograph and examine me. I am somewhat mutilated now in certain areas of my body. No more need be said on that matter. Apart from the plastic surgery I had to undergo was a great success. :)
    Hi Rubecula,

I've been working on a rather complicated response to explain my recent story that lost to hcass in THE ARENA, and was waiting until hcass and alfa beta were finished, but I keep feeling the need to come back here to this thread, especially since you got a visit today from the good doctor. I re-read your story, but this time, I was stopped in my tracks.

Did you go to the hospital on Feb 26? And if so, do you believe we all have more than 5 senses and we are all naturally connected? If so, can I speak about what happened to you [nothing personal] and how there is some ESP goin' on here?

This train of thought actually relates to the 2 stories just written in THE ARENA as well. The Whistle was not "random," as alfa beta thinks.

Well, this is a bit awkward as I am totally psycho psychic. :D Yes I went into hospital on the 26th and almost immediately underwent emergency surgery (It took over 7 hours apparently, although as I was out of it I was unable to time it myself :) ) Actually I went on 26th because I couldn't really take the pain much more and I was desperate to get back to work. I was just very lucky to go when I did as I was given such a short time to live without treatment. The disease has a mortality rate of well over 50% so again I am very lucky. Also lucky in the fact that after surgery it is 90% likely that when the disease is of the kind I had and in that location you lose your genitalia. I didn't, although as the pain progressed I would have been content to wave my gentleman vegetables goodbye to ease it.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Good lord :eek:
    I'm glad it was caught!!!!

Indeed bluewolf, it is not a nice thing, and so rapid too. I actually lost over two stone in weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

Well yes I haven't posted in anywhere really for a while and that is the reason. Nasty little irritation that disease. It annoyed me slightly. I was pretty bad, not sure which pictures you looked at but they all came round to photograph and examine me. I am somewhat mutilated now in certain areas of my body. No more need be said on that matter. Apart from the plastic surgery I had to undergo was a great success. :)
    I just googled the actual name.

GRAPHIC PICS FOLKS<<<>>>Fourniers Gangrene<<<>>>GRAPHIC PICS FOLKS

nasty

• Advertisement

I just googled the actual name.

GRAPHIC PICS FOLKS<<<>>>Fourniers Gangrene<<<>>>GRAPHIC PICS FOLKS

nasty

I strongly suggest folks do not look at these pics unless they are prepared for nasty visuals :eek:

I suspect the Prof now knows why it hurts too. :(

Well, this is a bit awkward as I am totally psycho psychic. :D Yes I went into hospital on the 26th and almost immediately underwent emergency surgery (It took over 7 hours apparently, although as I was out of it I was unable to time it myself :) )

I simply deduced you went in on the 26th because we were all commenting on the VOAT 11 stories at the time (mine was #4) - then pouff, you were gone!

But, at the time, I had a problem commenting on the "cannibals" story, as flesh eating is not my bag. I tried to make light of it by tying in a Fine Young Cannibals tune on ARG MetaPhoria, but it only made me pine for my Dad, and the lyrics made me think of his metamorphosis back in 2006 [he's not the man he used to be]. Then I left the site to gather dust, as I could not post there anymore. After gathering a lot of dust, I posted just last Sunday so I could embed video, which freaked me out, as it would tie in with your return a couple of days later.

And you missed a lot of action while you were in hospitootle, as my grandad would say:

Along with me still needing to tidy up my Dad's Mound Of Hostages, and also explain my recent Fad Plastic Gadget story to 401 non-posters in THE ARENA, I need to explain why I removed my "thanks" from alfa beta in THE ARENA, which is going to be painful, but I guess it needs to be said for the QED to be real and honest, like you have been on this thread. I surely didn't think that my telepathic projection to hcass and alfa beta would extend into such a painful and personal memory. And I didn't think anyone would notice, as I removed the "thanks" within an hour of me realizing it wasn't the permanently preoccupied Dad suddenly showing some love for his daughter by tucking her in. But alfa beta did notice, and there was talk.

Anyway, after reading your excellent Noddy story parts 1 and 2 [careful of the hanging participles, by the way] and the tasteful way you have handled explaining your near death experience, I hope I too can also insert some positives into my painful explanation. It's going to be a journey of a litetime!

PS: No Pikers in your story? You've got to be kidding me!

Thanks for your honesty Weebles. (Honesty Weebles? The truth wobbles but wont fall down? :D )

Yes the General Noddy Story.

It started a while ago on another site which was merged with it's parent company and I was unable to gain access to it until recently. Not too worried about participles or anything so long as it is easy to read. The story was originally aimed at getting other players (It was an RPG site) to take part. Then as folks faded away I just continued with it on my own and found I was enjoying it.

As I said to Pickarooney, so far it is 12000 words long and nowhere near finished. The first 12000 words as it stands right now I will eventually post on here, then depending on the resultant remarks (if any) I will go on to try and finish it. It has a rough outline in my head but no fixed plans as such. If all goes well I will eventually rework it a bit and see if it is possible to get it published.

I have had to abridge it slightly as I am sure many if not all of you are totally unaware of Rubecula's history in Tyran. (His 'home')

EDIT: I also do not have the right to use other people's ideas and characters from Tyran.

Thanks for your honesty Weebles. (Honesty Weebles? The truth wobbles but wont fall down? :D )

Hi Rubecula,

Whenever people would call my Dad Warbley, or Weebs, or Wobbley or some other isotope, my Dad would always retort with: "the name's Weebley . . . Agent Weebley" - but I can't do that. I'm just Nerfy. I'll bet you don't think I went to Riviera Maya in Mexico the other week either! Since you are in the trade, maybe you could easily look it up: I was on Air Transat flight TS752 YYZ to CUN @ 6:15am on 4/28/13 and returned on TS355 @ 10:30am 5/5/13 (the plane was 25 min late to gate 4, but we left on time. :)) Airbus A330 both ways. Everyone but Flake and I clapped when we landed - such odd behaviour.

My Dad was born @ 26 Nod Rise, Coventry, but the key is he used to like watching their B&W TV in the mornings: Watch With Mother stuff, like this. It is public record that Dad picked his avatar in 5 seconds, on a whim. It was based on "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down", but he never told me that there was a character on Noddy called Mr Wobbleyman. Are they connected?

And this RPG thing you were involved in: my 1st VOAT story had a key character called RPG, and our site is an ARG, which is much like an RPG, except it happens in real life, not just on the screen and in your head. The main character was Sam Misal.

snip---
    The Vietnam War would be the first modern air war in which guided anti-aircraft missiles would seriously challenge highly advanced supersonic jet aircraft.

snip---

When I was picking the Apocalypse Now scene for hcass and alfa beta to use, I played and rejected a scene in which Kurtz has exactly the same mindset as General Noddy; a detached matter of fact way of achieving necessary goals in battle. Take it away, Col. Kurtz.

I may be a little wet behind the ears compared to my Dad, but I do know he faced horror during his metamorphosis. But, like your swimming through the portal, or Alice falling down the rabbit hole, or Lucy brushing past the fur coats into Narnia, or a typical dream segue, the end product of these "metamorphoses" is that happiness is found on the other side of that horror - then people begin to write about it. My Dad is truly happy now, and wants to pull everyone else through to the other side. But only if they want to go - no-one can be forced through.

Now I have to post a very strange thing that happened to me yesterday at work before I post in THE ARENA. I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!

PS: I had this post all ready to go last night, but I wanted to sleep on it first. When I awoke, my Sony Vaio Zee had done a little "maintenance" and rebooted. My post was gonzo! Thank you, Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Phantasos

Holy mother of merciful crap. I am so glad you got to the hospital on time and that you're okay. Take it easy and mind yourself.

Imagine, if you were female like I had always thought up until this thread, it may never have happened. :P

Although more rare it does afflict ladies too. :(

My sympathies to anyone who has gone through what I have been through. It really is not that nice.

Advertisement