Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quiz Team

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ok I'm not going to make it actually! Sorry, my own fault for forgetting, I'll have to catch up with you all in the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Me neither, sorry guys. Getting sorted for going home and getting house sorted for the Irish invasion taking place later this week

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

(d'Unbelievables mode=ON)
    LOSERS!
    (d'Unbelievables mode=OFF)

That is all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In a stunning return to form, Two Belles and a Bellend reclaim the crown from The Bastardsthe Challengers! Truly Christmas has come early for the team ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Well done guys... Sorry I couldn't make it two belles and two bellends, but the event I was at ran a little longer than I expected and I'd only barely have made the second half, if even that. Have a great Christmas and see you on the other side!

• Advertisement

Back to work: boo :(
    short week: yay :)
    Me getting confused and thinking we had a quiz to look forward to tonight: boo :(

Let's see if we can hold onto the title next week, or at least lose to someone other than the two oul fellas...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'm off the booze for January so my powers will be diminished. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

First quiz of 2013 \o/ Who's going tonight?

I am.

Sorry guys, want to see Life of Pi in the cinema before it disappears under a flood of other Oscar movies and tonight's the only night that suits. Next week, I promise :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Because Life of Pi is so awesome, I'll let you off this week ;)

Reigning champs baby!

Sorry guys, want to see Life of Pi in the cinema before it disappears under a flood of other Oscar movies and tonight's the only night that suits. Next week, I promise :)
    Never mind going to the cinema, I'll bring the cat and a big bucket of water with me and you can have the live-action Life of Sweded Pi experience at the quiz as I try to avoid being mauled by a small yet indescribably angry ball of fur.

Well, it was worth a try :D

Fysh wrote: »
    Never mind going to the cinema, I'll bring the cat and a big bucket of water with me and you can have the live-action Life of Sweded Pi experience at the quiz as I try to avoid being mauled by a small yet indescribably angry ball of fur.

Bring the cat anyway!

Fysh wrote: »

Wow the full immersive 3D experience! I'll pass though, you've had enough eye injuries lately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

Count me in!

So.....

Turns out Life of Pi is sold out.

I'm in (if you'll have me)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Count me out I'm afraid, I was home sick today and need my sleep. Next week for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Scarinae wrote: »
    Count me out I'm afraid, I was home sick today and need my sleep. Next week for sure!

Aww, feel better soon.

And yes, exiled, you're always welcome :)

London Underground is 150 years old this year so there may be some Underground related questions this year. Taken from today's Time Out:

426 - number of escalators. The longest is Angel and the shortest is at Stratford.

Waterloo is the busiest station (we were asked this before)

Hampstead is the deepest station at 58.5 metres below ground.

The fastest line is the Metropolitan :eek: at 60mph, followed by the Jubilee (55mph) and the Victoria (50mph).

2 Tube stations have all five vowels in their names - Mansion House and South Ealing.

The Northern line requires the most number of trains in morning rush hour (91).

The network is 249 miles long.

My weekly newsletter from Mr Hyde listed a few pub quizzes of note around London if we ever feel like a change of scenery:

MONDAY

For a measly £1-per-person entry fee at The Pembury Tavern (E8), you’re pretty much guaranteed topics you’ve never tackled before (or will again). Hastily trying to absorb the day’s news on the journey there won’t count for much if the first round is on martial arts. Try not to be too offended by the quizmaster’s waistcoats.

TUESDAY

The Old Queen’s Head’s (N1) quiz is divisive, but so unpredictable you can’t help but get caught up in it. You might get a general knowledge round; you might be asked to perform karaoke with a kazoo. So while you can’t guarantee success, there are enough free drink rewards to keep you interested, even if your kazoomanship isn’t what it was.

WEDNESDAY

The Ship (SW18) sets the bar formidably high for prizes: the winners are guaranteed more than £100 every week. Questions will be fired your way by James Punnett, also the host of the lauded Bearcat Comedy Club. The chance of competing against occasional participant Damien Duff only adds to the appeal.

THURSDAY

Standing on the site of an old bus depot, The George Shillibeer (N7) is a handsome and distinctive venue earning extra points for offering that rarest of beasts: a decent quiz on a Thursday night. Interactive rounds and periodic food and drink giveaways ensure there’s never a sedate moment. Or a thirsty one.

WEEKEND

Top prize at Cock Tavern (SW6) on Sundays: £50. Second: bottle of wine. So far, so normal – but third earns you the host’s CD. Don’t all rush at once. Still, the film quotations and guess-the-intro rounds are a delight: challenging without being obscure. Plus this month the speciality pie is a game bird-filled pheasant, venison and partridge effort.

• Advertisement

I plan to go tonight, but I'll be keeping a close eye on weather/train reports and may have to skip it if things look nasty.

I'll be there, again depending on weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

My weekly newsletter from Mr Hyde listed a few pub quizzes of note around London if we ever feel like a change of scenery:

MONDAY

For a measly £1-per-person entry fee at The Pembury Tavern (E8), you’re pretty much guaranteed topics you’ve never tackled before (or will again). Hastily trying to absorb the day’s news on the journey there won’t count for much if the first round is on martial arts. Try not to be too offended by the quizmaster’s waistcoats.

TUESDAY

The Old Queen’s Head’s (N1) quiz is divisive, but so unpredictable you can’t help but get caught up in it. You might get a general knowledge round; you might be asked to perform karaoke with a kazoo. So while you can’t guarantee success, there are enough free drink rewards to keep you interested, even if your kazoomanship isn’t what it was.

WEDNESDAY

The Ship (SW18) sets the bar formidably high for prizes: the winners are guaranteed more than £100 every week. Questions will be fired your way by James Punnett, also the host of the lauded Bearcat Comedy Club. The chance of competing against occasional participant Damien Duff only adds to the appeal.

THURSDAY

Standing on the site of an old bus depot, The George Shillibeer (N7) is a handsome and distinctive venue earning extra points for offering that rarest of beasts: a decent quiz on a Thursday night. Interactive rounds and periodic food and drink giveaways ensure there’s never a sedate moment. Or a thirsty one.

WEEKEND

Top prize at Cock Tavern (SW6) on Sundays: £50. Second: bottle of wine. So far, so normal – but third earns you the host’s CD. Don’t all rush at once. Still, the film quotations and guess-the-intro rounds are a delight: challenging without being obscure. Plus this month the speciality pie is a game bird-filled pheasant, venison and partridge effort.

Would be interested if you come south of the river some night. Afaik there is also a quiz every Sunday night in the windmill in clapham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

*Looks out window. Shakes head*

Just saw on Facebook that the NLT is closed tonight for their staff Christmas party, so no quiz.

Hmm, I'm still feeling a bit manky so I don't think I would've made it anyway :( Ah well, next week.

vader.jpg?1319019416

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Playboy wrote: »
    Would be interested if you come south of the river some night. Afaik there is also a quiz every Sunday night in the windmill in clapham
    Attending my first pub quiz in well over 5 years when I was home over the holidays has rekindled my joy for the format.

Would happily tag along to a more central or southern one.

I would also be up for a movie themed one if anyone was that way inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'd love to come along to this some night. I seem to be suffering from a bit of cabin fever lately after Xmas and need to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Attending my first pub quiz in well over 5 years when I was home over the holidays has rekindled my joy for the format.

Would happily tag along to a more central or southern one.

I would also be up for a movie themed one if anyone was that way inclined.

I'd also be up for a movie themed one if we can find one but happy to try a regular one if we can get a team together

Advertisement