Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Midband Provider Onwave( Tooway off new Ka Sat)

• 01-06-2011 11:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Love the fair usage policy :)

http://www.onwave.ie/assets/onwave_term_and_conditions.pdf

Not NBS compliant as there is no STW conditionality in the NBS contract.
    FAIR ACCESS POLICY

FAIR ACCESS POLICY foresees periods
    in the following called sliding time window (STW) of one hour, 4 hours, one day one week and four weeks.

Should the traffic inside a sliding time
    window (STW) exceed the volume
    limit the FAIR ACCESS POLICY reduces
    the bandwidth to the specific user.

and especially :D
    The temporal distribution of accesses from
    active users follows Poisson distribution
    with rate in accordance with hypnotised activity factors

unenforceable if they do not follow their own stated terms which are
    Note: 1MB is 106 bytes.

OOOOOH Dear that looks NASTY :eek: !!! But you can watch the clock.
    FAIR
    ACCESS
    POLICY table will
    be available
    through our
    website

and can
    be updated
    without notice.

Information given
    to subscriber:
    •Instantaneous
    real time
    information
    (Push):

Network
    congestion
    (FAIR
    ACCESS
    POLICY
    active or
    not)

RESTRICTED
    or not

Punished
    or not

Information
    on a web
    site
    (Pull):

Account
    status

Remaining
    Volume
    /
    Volume
    available

FAIR
    ACCESS
    POLICY
    status,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Mmmm.... I really can't decide which of these "attractively" priced packages I should choose...?? :confused:
    Should I go for, the 6Mb broadband at €45 per month and €249 installation, or the 10Mb at €125 per month and €249 installation? :rolleyes:
    Either way at least I have the "reassurance" of a 24 month contract :eek: .... decisions, decisions ......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Oracle wrote: »
    Mmmm.... I really can't decide which of these "attractively" priced packages I should choose...?? :confused:
    Should I go for, the 6Mb broadband at €45 per month and €249 installation, or the 10Mb at €125 per month and €249 installation? :rolleyes:
    Either way at least I have the "reassurance" of a 24 month contract :eek: .... decisions, decisions ......

But, isn't this for people who live out in the sticks and are limited on their options?

FearDark wrote: »
    But, isn't this for people who live out in the sticks and are limited on their options?

Yeah who live out in the sticks and don't mind being ripped off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah who live out in the sticks and don't mind being ripped off! :D

Unfortunately it is not about not minding being ripped off. It is pay for the only service available or don't have any service at all. Me not subscribing to them is not going to spontaneously say "oh my, LoTwan thinks we are too expensive. Let's offer the service for less". It's also not going to make Eircom say "wow, look, LoTwan lives less than 2 miles from an exchange that we have no plans to ever enable for broadband. Let's do something about this"

Having said all of that I will be back onto onwave this morning because I was assured yesterday that there will be no hourly/daily/weekly capping, where in fact they are pulling it back to 15 minute intervals!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It seems they cannot throttle until their own website or the Tooway website clearly shows your stats so that you can avoid being throttled. Unilateral throttling absent the facility to see your up to date traffic stats is breach of contract.

Make sure you save those T&Cs because they have to

a) give notice of any change to them
    b) if they do give notice or change the T&Cs without notice you can escape your contract immediately no matter what they say if Onwave are licenced by Comreg, and they may well be. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Have you seen the caps?

The 6MB has a 4GB monthly cap for €44.99.

Even the €125 package has 25GB cap.

Joke!

LoTwan wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is not about not minding being ripped off. It is pay for the only service available or don't have any service at all. Me not subscribing to them is not going to spontaneously say "oh my, LoTwan thinks we are too expensive. Let's offer the service for less". It's also not going to make Eircom say "wow, look, LoTwan lives less than 2 miles from an exchange that we have no plans to ever enable for broadband. Let's do something about this"

Yes, I appreciate your situation and I'm on your side. I'm simply saying the service is too expensive. Just because you live "in the sticks" shouldn't mean you have to pay an extra €100 per month for 10Mb broadband. For example, by way of comparison, this UK company offers the same Tooway broadband service for £25 per month for 6Mb (only available in UK): http://www.toowaybroadband.co.uk/order_now.php

... and this company is offering the same service in Ireland for €30 per month: http://www.toowaydirect.com/purchase-euro/

Thanks for the heads up about toowaydirect. I rang onwave & outlined why my feet are getting very cold. €19 a month is a lot if money over a 24 month contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The advantage of Tooway/Ka Sat is that you can change from Satellite Broadband Ireland ( rebadged as Onwave) to another provider if SBI go the way of Aramiska or Ildana and NBB

Only one provider has survived in Ireland, that is Digiweb.

Digiweb are still €14/month dearer than toowaydirect. Maybe I wasn't looking properly but suddenly onwave have a "find someone cheaper within a month & we'll match it" on their website. I'm sure they'll find something different to get them out of that promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

Digiweb are still €14/month dearer than toowaydirect. Maybe I wasn't looking properly but suddenly onwave have a "find someone cheaper within a month & we'll match it" on their website. I'm sure they'll find something different to get them out of that promise.

Price war ! Digiweb now a fiver cheaper than onwave on the first 3 plans.

long_b wrote: »
    Price war ! Digiweb now a fiver cheaper than onwave on the first 3 plans.

I know :-) I'm waiting for a callback "later" from onwave who confirmed on the phone that they have a price match promise. Interestingly they also have a "refer a friend & get a month free" so if they sort the pricing out I suspect I'll be asking everyone on the road (no one has LOS for wireless) to use me as a friend :lol:

They are matching the price :-) thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I see onwave are advertising their phone service, anyone have any idea what the quality is like through satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

I'll let you know how the phone is next Thursday :-)

Condi wrote: »

No problem. The dish will be next to the Sky dish so there will be a recognisable reference. I might even brave my head up into the teeny tiny attic crawl space to see the router. :-)

Condi wrote: »

As a warm up I found this - it's an old video so it's bit the super duper satellite but it may give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiT2Mv9F-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMDknAYPT8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Holy crap that second video looks well slow. 1st comin in @ 3.43m/s, not bad for rural folk if i could ge that.

• Advertisement

mydogjack wrote: »
    Holy crap that second video looks well slow. 1st comin in @ 3.43m/s, not bad for rural folk if i could ge that.

The new service promises to have twice the download bandwidth but will still have the "satellite lag"

Here's a pretty bad example FROM A DIFFERENT SYSTEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJE4fS9DhF8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

yeah ok fair point, looks well slow. How come they(onwave) guarantee at least 60% of their 6mb/s at all times then?

mydogjack wrote: »
    yeah ok fair point, looks well slow. How come they(onwave) guarantee at least 60% of their 6mb/s at all times then?
    Have you a source for this claim ?
    No ISP I've heard of guarantees any percentage of quoted "up to" speed.

1334012606.png

That is pretty much the average of what I have gotten all day.

I can't say that the latency has bothered me, or that I have actually noticed it but that may be due to the fact that I have 2 small children distracting me while I try to spend some quality time with my laptop ;)

I have photos of the equipment (1 dish, 2 routers) which I will upload when the aforementioned children are in bed asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

1334012606.png

That is pretty much the average of what I have gotten all day.

I can't say that the latency has bothered me, or that I have actually noticed it but that may be due to the fact that I have 2 small children distracting me while I try to spend some quality time with my laptop ;)

I have photos of the equipment (1 dish, 2 routers) which I will upload when the aforementioned children are in bed asleep.

Have you tried to use VOIP yet? I'm curious to know what the quality is like.

What package are you on please ?
    Any chance you could post a quick video of browsing , YouTube and or VPN ?

I have the 8mb/8gb package + phone for €65/month.

OK... one of them is in bed and I did a little browsing on the other laptop (newer, less **** installed on it, Windows Vista, cleared the history/cache etc). I don't do voice overs because, well, I don't and there is no stopwatch on the other laptop so you will have to keep an eye on the clock if you want to look at times. The only site that appeared not to fully load was ebay but that is because of the rolling banners which are continually loading. I did a youtube video (off the front page), msn, ebay.co.uk and onwave.

First the dish & routers. The dish is not much bigger than the sky dish but as you can see it is significantly deeper. Don't use my hands as a size reference for the routers, I have small hands. The larger one is the satellite router and measures about 8" x 8" x 1". The smaller is the wifi/phone router and is about 6" x 5" x .75".

053feaf8.jpg
    66664f68.jpg
    926ac7e8.jpg
    78270ddf.jpg

th_eca669d7.jpg

Great info LoTwan, thanks very much !

How low is that dish mounted ? Did it have to be that low ?
    Did they charge extra for the pole mount ?
    Do you mind me asking why you went with Onwave over Digiweb ?

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Great info LoTwan, thanks very much !

How low is that dish mounted ? Did it have to be that low ?
    Did they charge extra for the pole mount ?
    Do you mind me asking why you went with Onwave over Digiweb ?

- The tooway dish is approx 6' above the evenual ground level (the child in the first photo is 2.5 as a reference ;) ) They chose to put it under the sky dish because of the greater risk of sway the higher up the pole you go.
    - They didn't charge extra for the pole mount but they knew about it in advance, weeks ago. It was actually their suggestion in February that I go with a pole mount because I didn't want the dish on the side of the building. It is a new build and I ran 6 CT100's in from the pole straight to the attic.
    - I went with Onwave because their office is 10km down the road :) I have customer support on my doorstep. They are marketing at €5 more expensive a month but have a price match promise and I suspect they will just drop to meet digiweb if enough people take them up on the offer.

I could have applied for and waited around for the NBS (for which they have a modified package on the KA SAT) but I don't want to sit around waiting for 6 months only to qualify for the lowest package.

There is reference to toowaydirect.co.uk earlier in this thread and I didn't come back to their pricing (because I was working on my phone). They are frontloading installation charges and having customers buy the equipment (onwave own my dish & satellite router) to keep the monthly cost down. They are also requiring a block mount for the dish which I couldn't provide.

I haven't tried VOIP yet because I don't have anyone to Skype with at the moment :rolleyes: I will hook up the phone tomorrow but it is awkward as the router is in the attic and I have to arrange a different phone.

Advertisement