Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Even if Ryanair did accept it (they don't), PASSPORT CONTROL in Spain definitely wouldn't. You're supposed to supply your Advanced Passenger Information prior to departure, which includes our Passport number, its expiry date and your date of birth. Ryanair collect this information by default as part of the check-in process.

Stump up the €150, tear your house apart to find your passport or don't go. They're your only choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Is your passport irretrievably lost?

A panicstricken search for passports in our house ("but they're always in that drawer!") found both of them in our printer/scanner, where I left them to scanin for a bank application.

Just saying have you prayed to St Anthony?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP can't you go to the passport office and get it done on the spot? As in tomorrow or whatever?

That's more expensive again - 190 I think I saw on another thread recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 james106

OP can't you go to the passport office and get it done on the spot? As in tomorrow or whatever?

I can, that's €150+ and I really don't have that kind of money :/

cml387 wrote: »

A panicstricken search for passports in our house ("but they're always in that drawer!") found both of them in our printer/scanner, where I left them to scanin for a bank application.

The house has been turned upside down, searched all drawers, cars, bags and the printer/scanner, I have a feeling I could have lost it on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You don't have any choice OP. Either find the money or find the passport. There are no other options.

Thanks for clearing it up guys, still stuck might just have to go bankrupt and fork up the €150+

I'll tear up the house again and hope it digs the passport up.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Is getting the boat an option?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You don't have any choice OP. Either find the money or find the passport. There are no other options.

That's about it.

Boat to Salou? Not so sure :P

• Advertisement

Mam?

Eponymous wrote: »
    Mam?

No, but my mam would say that.:)

OP,when exactly are you travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Not if he doesn't have a passport.

No, but my mam would say that.:)

OP,when exactly are you travelling?

Next Wednesday at 4am, so Tuesday really...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

james106 wrote: »
    Next Wednesday at 4am, so Tuesday really...

This happens across the Pond too. So don't despair!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5000044&highlight=

This happens across the Pond too. So don't despair!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5000044&highlight=

Any chance of checking wherever you took in on your night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Ive used Marina Car Hire the last 2 years in a row, found them excellent and very reasonable. Here's their website incase you'd like to take a look:

http://www.marinarentacar.com/home-uk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's more expensive again - 190 I think I saw on another thread recently.

Just checked the DFA website. It's €95 for s standard passport at the public counter and an additional €55 for the emergency service within three to five working days, which comes to a total of €150.

He might make it on time if he goes down and pleads his case.

Passport express is €80, usually up to ten working days, but can be faster. The OP has four working days left before he travels, so this doesn't seem to be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just checked the DFA website. It's €95 for s standard passport at the public counter and an additional €55 for the emergency service within three to five working days, which comes to a total of €150.

He might make it on time if he goes down and pleads his case.

Passport express is €80, usually up to ten working days, but can be faster. The OP has four working days left before he travels, so this doesn't seem to be an option.

The price I was referring to / guessing at was for a same-day passport issue, I think - a think I didn't even realise you could do! But someone was on enquiring about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The price I was referring to / guessing at was for a same-day passport issue, I think - a think I didn't even realise you could do! But someone was on enquiring about it.

The DFA website mentions that they issue passports on the same day with the emergency service in the case of the death or serious illness of a family member or the applicant requiring emergency medical treatment.

There was no mention of a further fee on top of the public counter application fee and the emergency service fee.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/passport-fees/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

No. But is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Any chance of checking wherever you took in on your night out?
    Just so you know, if a passport is handed to the Gardaí, it's returned to the Passport Office who cancel and destroy it.

If it's still in a pub the OP visited, he'd be a very lucky young man, but it's definitely worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Eponymous wrote: »
    Just so you know, if a passport is handed to the Gardaí, it's returned to the Passport Office who cancel and destroy it.

And it's also worth noting that like a credit card, once you report it lost or stolen, its cancelled so even if it turns up, you shouldn't attempt to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hi everyone

Quick question with regards to supporting documents.

I'm getting my passport replaced due to some slight damage.

Do I need to submit a copy of my birth certificate (I was under the impression that this was only for new applicants) or will submitting my old passport along with my application suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hi everyone

Quick question with regards to supporting documents.

I'm getting my passport replaced due to some slight damage.

Do I need to submit a copy of my birth certificate (I was under the impression that this was only for new applicants) or will submitting my old passport along with my application suffice?

Depends how bad the damage to the previous passport is.

If it's only minor damage, the checker would not ask for your original documentation.

If it went through the washing machine / dog ate it, you'd more than likely be asked to provide all your original documentation again (as if applying for a first time passport).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 opia1970

Ok, thanks for replying.

Therefore, if I was to go up to the passport office Friday and queue etc and apply for the emergency 3-5 day passport would I be seen on that Friday?

Has anyone any experience with doing this? How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Depends how bad the damage to the previous passport is.

If it's only minor damage, the checker would not ask for your original documentation.

If it went through the washing machine / dog ate it, you'd more than likely be asked to provide all your original documentation again (as if applying for a first time passport).

No its only a slight crack in the plastic near the signature area.

So will the following documentation suffice for a replacement to a damaged passport?

1) Completed Application Form

2) 4 Photos, 2 of which are signed and stamped by Garda Witness

3) Damaged Passport

4) Proof of Address (Utility Bill)

5) Proof of Name (Payslip)

Should i throw in a copy of my drivers licence just to be safe?

Regards

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

opia1970 wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for replying.

Therefore, if I was to go up to the passport office Friday and queue etc and apply for the emergency 3-5 day passport would I be seen on that Friday?

Has anyone any experience with doing this? How did you get on?

You need to make an appointment to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 24 opia1970

Is it still possible to be seen without one?

An aunt of mine went in herself and was seen but that was maybe 5 plus years ago. I presume things have changed?

I have tried to make an appointment and the only available date is the day I am due to depart or days afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

opia1970 wrote: »
    Is it still possible to be seen without one?

An aunt of mine went in herself and was seen but that was maybe 5 plus years ago. I presume things have changed?

I have tried to make an appointment and the only available date is the day I am due to depart or days afterwards?

They've changed the system in the past few months. It's supposed to be strictly appointment only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement