Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[SC] ************HAUNTED****************

• 14-05-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My mate is renting an old farm house in the cork/kerry mountins. While he was away visiting I called to feed his cat every other day. While there I felt down and depressed, never spooked. After saying this to him on his return he told me his brothers two young children who were playing in an upstairs back bedroom came running down crying and screaming that the chair had moved!!!:eek: We are now thinking of doing a seance to "see" what happens. Any thoughts or ideas on a correct way to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

just to be clear - you want to do a seance because you felt a bit down and some imaginative kids reckoned a chair moved? Don't want to put you off the idea, but it doesnt sound very paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Guys do you mind me asking is all you tackle on the skeptics forum ghosts and soothsayers i started a bigfoot thread and you dont seem able to tackle it

ive no idea what to tell you about big foot. could it exist? no reason why not. does it? ive no idea. In fact i thnk your thread was answered in the first few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Guys do you mind me asking is all you tackle on the skeptics forum ghosts and soothsayers i started a bigfoot thread and you dont seem able to tackle it

What is it with people, this is my fvcking thread on a creepy house not some twat dressed in a fancy dress monkey costume. Paranormal > skeptics corner. I dont think Big toe and his hairy nuts fall into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

porte wrote: »
    My mate is renting an old farm house in the cork/kerry mountins. While he was away visiting I called to feed his cat every other day. While there I felt down and depressed, never spooked. After saying this to him on his return he told me his brothers two young children who were playing in an upstairs back bedroom came running down crying and screaming that the chair had moved!!!:eek: We are now thinking of doing a seance to "see" what happens. Any thoughts or ideas on a correct way to do this.
    I don't think that a creepy feeling and some overactive imaginations warrent calling in the ghost busters just yet :)

Let us know if the walls start to bleed :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

A seance?Like a ouija board type thing?

Wouldn't do it,used to dabble around with them before,scary as sh1t..
    Did ask a few Q's about the near future though,and everything it said would happen did!:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Me and my mates all saw a 'shape shifter' (must have seen it originally in a cartoon or somethin) in the top window of the corner house of our estate, when we were younger.

We also saw a ghost's face in the window of my mate's shed

Except we didn't at all, we were just imaginative kids :)

We also did an ouija board and it kept moving and scared the sh*t out of us! But it turned out it was one of the lads moving it the whole time.

Moral of the story: don't take what kids say as gospel. They're even less discerning than adults when it comes to determining whether something is 'paranormal' or not.

And feeling down/depressed = not paranormal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eddy you've been preparing those final statements on Bigfoot for 10 days now, I'm expecting something special !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Dont do a seance if you are not experianced in doing it you have to use certain prayers before you start to keep away any evil and then you have to close off properly at the finish so no spirits remain behind and cause problems maybe someone here might have some knowledge on what words or prayers that you should use.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm not sure there is a "correct" way to do something totally pointless.

• Advertisement

storm2811 wrote: »
    A seance?Like a ouija board type thing?

Wouldn't do it,used to dabble around with them before,scary as sh1t..
    Did ask a few Q's about the near future though,and everything it said would happen did!:/
    Ouija boards have been shown over and over to be caused by the idiomotor effect, i.e. that even if you don't think you are, you or someone else at the table is moving the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

kylith wrote: »
    Ouija boards have been shown over and over to be caused by the idiomotor effect, i.e. that even if you don't think you are, you or someone else at the table is moving the glass.

Yeah yeah,Derren Brown ruined it for me years ago:pac:
    But still,the fuuuture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

What is it with people, this is my fvcking thread on a creepy house not some twat dressed in a fancy dress monkey costume. Paranormal > skeptics corner. I dont think Big toe and his hairy nuts fall into this category.

LMAO! :pac:

Dave! wrote: »
    Me and my mates all saw a 'shape shifter' (must have seen it originally in a cartoon or somethin) in the top window of the corner house of our estate, when we were younger.

We also saw a ghost's face in the window of my mate's shed

Except we didn't at all, we were just imaginative kids :)

We also did an ouija board and it kept moving and scared the sh*t out of us! But it turned out it was one of the lads moving it the whole time.

Moral of the story: don't take what kids say as gospel. They're even less discerning than adults when it comes to determining whether something is 'paranormal' or not.

I agree with what you're saying about thinking you saw something 'paranormal' as a child, before realising it was just your imagination getting the better of you. That has happened to me many times.

Agreed RE: that feckin' ouija board and people moving the glass/planchette as well. Ditto for 'table tipping' and all that other kooky crap.

There have been things I've seen as a child and teenager that I knew weren't the product of my imagination though. I've gone over the incidents in my head dozens and dozens of times since to try to account for their occurrence, but I haven't found a satisfactory (IMO) explanation yet. Of course, that's my own subjective body of experiences and viewpoint, but I'm just trying to illustrate what I believe to be a dichotomy of imagination vs. reality and being able to distinguish one from the other...

And feeling down/depressed = not paranormal

Yes, that is physiological...

eddy you've been preparing those final statements on Bigfoot for 10 days now, I'm expecting something special !

Man you will get something special ;)

As for hauntings and ghosts im not convinced of their reality however theres a interesting theory that areas with a high level natural infrasound will produce the uncomfortable feeling ascoiated with haunted places.

As for hauntings and ghosts im not convinced of their reality

Yeah. You need to see the things for yourself really.
    however theres a interesting theory that areas with a high level natural infrasound will produce the uncomfortable feeling associated with haunted places.

I read and heard about that before and it seems perfectly reasonable.

I've never believed that an uncomfortable 'feeling' about a place is enough to label it 'haunted'. It all comes down to what you see directly in front of you with your two eyes. If it's still there more than ten seconds later, that helps.

Yeah. You need to see the things for yourself really.

I read and heard about that before and it seems perfectly reasonable.

I've never believed that an uncomfortable 'feeling' about a place is enough to label it 'haunted'. It all comes down to what you see directly in front of you with your two eyes. If it's still there more than ten seconds later, that helps.
    And catching it on camera is a definite bonus.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@porte, re your original question. The traditional way to hold a seance was in a darkened room, preferably with only a low, red light source. Seances were generally led by a medium, but if you dont have one any ol person should do. Record the whole session. Have props in the room such as stacked coins, and for some reason, the old skool seancers felt a trumpet was obligatory? You sit in the dark, hold hands, or not, and ask questions of 'whoever' is there. And sit and wait to see what happens. And wait. And wait. If youre filming it for posterity or living tv, youll need one hysterical female present, of course.

I know Im being a bit daft above, I think you can tell how I feel about seances, but generally that is the traditional way of doing such things (minus any hysterical women). I dont agree with any of it, I think its a nonsense way to go about it, and I also think it engenders fear, which is never good.

Oryx wrote: »
    @porte, re your original question. The traditional way to hold a seance was in a darkened room, preferably with only a low, red light source. Seances were generally led by a medium, but if you dont have one any ol person should do. Record the whole session. Have props in the room such as stacked coins, and for some reason, the old skool seancers felt a trumpet was obligatory? You sit in the dark, hold hands, or not, and ask questions of 'whoever' is there. And sit and wait to see what happens. And wait. And wait. If youre filming it for posterity or living tv, youll need one hysterical female present, of course.

I know Im being a bit daft above, I think you can tell how I feel about seances, but generally that is the traditional way of doing such things (minus any hysterical women). I dont agree with any of it, I think its a nonsense way to go about it, and I also think it engenders fear, which is never good.

I think it'd be a great idea if there were a couple of 'fright nights' held in one of Ireland's accessible and supposedly 'most haunted' locations over the summer. Recreate all these old skool parlour tricks like dimly-lit seances with a feckin' trumpet :pac:, etc, a spot of table tipping, and whatever else anyone can think of (my mind is barren at the mo'). Featuring, say, no more than 15 participants present each time. Each fright night could be recorded on camera (like a proper episode) and then uploaded to YouTube, or whatever.

In order to prevent any hysterical idiots and/or raucous messers (although, yes, it's essentially all in the spirit - hee, hee :p - of fun) applying for a place on each of the fright nights, they should be required to complete a short and intelligently-formed questionaire beforehand, or something. Well, most of the boardsies knocking around here should be interested in it, and most are grand.

Yeah, so 'Victorian Fright Night', or something. There could even be an option to attend in fancy dress.

Either way, the whole thing should be intended to be fun...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kinda like a murder mystery, but waaay after the fact. :) I like it.

A new thread might be an idea for discussing it tho!

alternate explainations for a lot of paranormal activity can be covered by infrasound (apparitions, seeing things in the corner of the eye, various sounds - google vic tandy) high electromagnetic radiation (creepy feelings, feeling sick etc) and ionispheric ducting (electronic voice phenomena).
    As for hauntings and ghosts im not convinced of their reality however theres a interesting theory that areas with a high level natural infrasound will produce the uncomfortable feeling ascoiated with haunted places.

maccored wrote: »
    alternate explainations for a lot of paranormal activity can be covered by infrasound (apparitions, seeing things in the corner of the eye, various sounds - google vic tandy) high electromagnetic radiation (creepy feelings, feeling sick etc) and ionispheric ducting (electronic voice phenomena).

Yes very true from my work in zoology for intstance we are finding out a lot about the way animals of certain types produce infra sound and how that greatly affects humans (we apparantly used to be a lot more sensitive to it), Tigers produce a lot of it of infra sound and the effects on humans are remarkable, it for instanse can cause feelings of awe or fear in humans Since it is not consciously perceived, it can make people feel vaguely that events taking place are of a paranormal nature.

Should add i have no direct work with infrasound cant take credit for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Great response piss ing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Zombie Thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement