Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Had to decline the offer i got due to family reasons after discussing it with the parents...will this have an effect on things if i applied next year????

I can't imagine that it would :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mary91

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this ..jus glad to hear about anybody going to Dubai in August?
    My flight is on the 14th of Aug from Dublin... So scared cos totally on my own and stressing about what to expect when I get there.
    Does anybody know if you have to sit some kind of exam when u get there? And if anybody is knows anything about the sabis school in Dubai (what teachers wear, accommodation , is it a nice school to work in?)

Hey guys,
    I'm currently out here in the Middle East working for Sabis. If there is anything you want to know or have any questions give me a shout. :)

Hii, :)
    Could you tell me if new teachers sit an exam on arrival? .. I'm going to Dubai n august and wondering about what kind of clothes teachers have to wear? Also what is the accommodation like?
    Sorry for all the questions.. Any help would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

I had an interview today. Two military schools are available. One in Madinat Zayed and one in Al Ain. What are your experiences of these two places? Is there much of an Irish contingent in them? I don't have much knowledge of the Middle-East. I'd be looking to join a football team and meet new people from different nations but always nice to have a few Irish people around. Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Actually I have an interview tomorrow for a school network in Kurdistan. Any tips or warnings about what they might ask? Or any cultural pitfalls I should avoid in the interview? It's for English teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Mary91 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    My flight is on the 14th of Aug from Dublin... So scared cos totally on my own and stressing about what to expect when I get there.
    Does anybody know if you have to sit some kind of exam when u get there? And if anybody is knows anything about the sabis school in Dubai (what teachers wear, accommodation , is it a nice school to work in?)

Don't worry, Mary. Go for it. Once you settle in it's quite likely that you'll love it. Just remember to respect their customs and you'll be grand. Enjoy, and fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mathesis

Hi guys,

Hello Mary91,
    Did you get any teaching offer from Sabis Schools? Did you finalize your job application ?

St. Robbie wrote: »
    I had an interview today. Two military schools are available. One in Madinat Zayed and one in Al Ain. What are your experiences of these two places? Is there much of an Irish contingent in them? I don't have much knowledge of the Middle-East. I'd be looking to join a football team and meet new people from different nations but always nice to have a few Irish people around. Any info would be appreciated.

Hello St. Robbie,
    How was your interview ? Was it was over skype ?
    I had an phone interview today and they said me that If they offer me a teaching offer I will inform in one week.

lauretta86 wrote: »
    I just got offered a job in Oman but a friend who lived in the east advised me not to go there as she said there's nothing to really do and I could get very lonely especially as all my friends and family are in UAE!

Hello lauretta86,
    Can you give me some information about application progress ? I had an phone interview today and they said that If they affer a position on their schools they will give me information in one week.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I was offered a position in Sharjah and was wondering would you have any info about the area. i have read up that it is one of the strictest area you can be???

Regards in advance

Hello,
    Could you give me some information about the interview progress ?
    did you have a interview face to face or over only skpe ? Did you do a demonstration lesson before your job offer.

ecred wrote: »
    I just had my second phone interview with Tarek, for Maths positions. He said next step is a technical interview - should hear about this over next few days - i have to be ready with pen and paper on the phone and answer maths questions!!! To assess what levels I can teach. Anyone else have this and what did you get asked????? yikes!!!

hello,
    I am a mathematician I think I have a sama situation.
    what did you get asked?

mathesis wrote: »
    Hello Mary91,
    Did you get any teaching offer from Sabis Schools? Did you finalize your job application ?

Hi,
    Yes I was offered the job at the end of the face to face interview in March. Yes it has all been finalised. If there is anything I can help you with don't be afraid to ask :)

Hello Mary91,

Hi,
    Yes I was offered the job at the end of the face to face interview in March. Yes it has all been finalised. If there is anything I can help you with don't be afraid to ask :)

Hi,

hey thank you so much. I sent you a p.m. How long days did it take to progress ?

Hello St. Robbie,
    How was your interview ? Was it was over skype ?
    I had an phone interview today and they said me that If they offer me a teaching offer I will inform in one week.

Was over Skype, went well. Got sent an application form now, in the process of filling it out. Applied for Vietnam/Spain and Portugal aswell. Middle East is my priority but seems hard to get a job there without any Post-CELTA experience. I have experience pre-CELTA and it seems easier (but less pay) to get a job in Europe

Right looks like I could be very well going to Al-Ain working in the Military High School. Not going to jump into a decision straight away as I've applied elsewhere.

Just a few questions? Are there many expats there? Would I be able to join a football (soccer) club. I know there's a GAA club but just wondering if there's soccer. What's the story with accommodation in Al Ain for expats. Will this usually be provided by the school and if so is it a compound or apartments?

Any other info that you wish you knew before you went and can share would be great.

Thanks,
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adlima

No, teaching with Sabis won't allow you teach in Ireland. You don't get any form of teaching qualification while you are with them. I taught with Sabis for four years. You must have a teaching diploma for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lkelly1

Hi I registered a few months ago with Sabis and tygre they offered me an interview earlier in the month, due to work I couldn't fit the interview into the time frame. Is it too late to reply now? Also do they sort visas and accommodation? What kind of salary are you looking at outer month?

I just got a job offer in Bahrain teaching music.

Does anyone know what the school there is like etc? I only have a few hours before the offer is void... as a matter of fact, what is Bahrain itself like? I know nothing other than YouTube and wikipedia lol..

• Advertisement

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Sabis-Reviews-E365918.htm

These reviews are bloody atrocious.... I have to wonder if the 2 or 3 good ones were fabricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smcc123

Hey guys. Last week I sent off an application with sabis. I didn't expect to hear anything but Iv got a phone interview tomorrow. I also received an email from HR Sharjah. Am I to assume that this is the area that has vacancies? What is Sharjah like? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smcc123

I got offered Bahrain. Haven't accepted it yet. Is anyone else going there? Has anyone been there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Smcc123 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Last week I sent off an application with sabis. I didn't expect to hear anything but Iv got a phone interview tomorrow. I also received an email from HR Sharjah. Am I to assume that this is the area that has vacancies? What is Sharjah like? Thanks :)

All the HR for the UAE is done in Sharjah so you won't necessarily be working there. If you are don't worry, it's actually not that bad :D

Yeah i got emails from that sender too. But I'm going to Bahrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Browners90

Hi Guys!

Just accepted a position with Choueifat in Manama! Is anyone else going over shortly or can anyone give me a bit of advice on what life is like in Bahrain? Is there many Irish teachers in the school?

Excited to be starting a new adventure but its always nice to know some people before landing in a new country by yourself!

Hi Browners90. I'm actually flying off to Bahrain today from Wexford :)

I'm meeting up with 3 other Irish teachers who are coming over Friday which I met on the FB Sabis page, so you're not alone, no worries! I'm sure we'll meet each other during the training period.

See you over there! I'm the music teacher BTW, so it'll be easy to find me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

How are those that went recently getting on? No one that gets a job with Sabis ever seems to come back on here after they've started, must be working too hard :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 PKMB1

Hi guys, I'm a qualified English teacher but was doing a masters until now so couldn't travel until this week. Does anyone know is it possible to get a teaching job in the UAE in January or even before then? Any info would be helpful! :)

Advertisement