Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do with oyster sauce

Options
  • 25-06-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I bought some oyster sauce a while back with the intention of making chow mein. The recipe I followed called for equal parts dark soy, light soy, and oyster sauce and was inedibly salty. So, what can I do with this oyster sauce?

I also have very thinly sliced beef, noodles, and an assortment of veg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't have a recipe, per say, but I do have a bottle of oyster sauce in my press from making Curry Addict's gorgeous Malaysian Curry a couple of months ago and last night I used a tablespoon of oyster sauce, a tablespoon of light soy (I could imagine it being inedible with dark soy as well) & a sprinkling of chili flakes as the sauce in a stirfry and I really enjoyed it. Going to try again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I make a stiry fry, chicken or beef and use oyster sauce and one of the soy sauces - not both. I have to admit I don't measure though just chuck it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

There's a recipe called Quick Beef & Brocolli Noodles on the BBCGoodFood website - I'd post the link if I could - which uses it and always goes down very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

There's a recipe called Quick Beef & Brocolli Noodles on the BBCGoodFood website - I'd post the link if I could - which uses it and always goes down very well.
    Here ya go. Sounds delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I do a basic stir-fry, which is as follows:

1 red pepper
    1 green pepper
    2 cloves garlic
    1 thumb of ginger
    4 scallions
    2 chicken fillets
    1 chilli (red or green, doesn't really matter)
    Oyster sauce
    A few drops of Rice Wine vinegar

Chop the chicken into chunks, fry until nearly cooked (12-15 mins). While it's cooking, chop the veg. Add the garlic and ginger to the chicken, fry for a few minutes. Add the peppers, fry on a medium-high heat until cooked (8-10 mins). Add in the scallions, chilli and rice wine vinegar. Fry for a minute or two. Add in the Oyster sauce, fry for another minute or so.

Serve with rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks folks! Looking forward to trying some of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You could make Porc au caramel (a genuinely Vietnamese recipe from the old Vietnamese housemate of my father in law!)

500g of pork shin chopped into cubes
    2 large onions, chopped
    2 tbsps Oyster sauce
    1 tbsp of ginger
    75g sugar
    100 mls water

Put the pork, onions, oyster sauce and ginger into a bowl, and marinade for at least a few hours (12 hours is best!)
    When ready to cook, put the sugar in a saucepan with the water and heat until the sugar dissolves and bubbles. When the mixture turns golden (be careful here, it can burn very quickly) add the meat mixture. The sugar/water will solidfy but stir for a few minutes and it will melt. Lower to a medium heat, cover and cook for about a hour or until the meat is tender.
    Serve with rice and chinese cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I make this all the time, only I make it with alot more broccoli (because I love broccoli!):

http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-and-broccoli-recipe/

It's extremely tasty.

Also if you can, get hold of this brand of oyster sauce: Mae Krua, it's made with 30% oysters when most other brands have well under 3% total oyster extract, the rest being basically salt and goop. It only costs about 3 euro for a huge bottle too.

Actually I have to add that I put that oyster sauce in all kinds of things, even totally non-asian things like bolognese sauce because when you get down to it, it is just a really savoury rich flavouring sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tilly wrote: »
    Here ya go. Sounds delish.

I made this for dinner tonight and it was pronounced delish by everyone.

Advertisement