Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Emer911 wrote: »
    Nobody told me I was on cake-watch!?:confused:

Digger was supposed to. Men. Jesus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

KC, you are da man! What class, style and speedy feet you have! :) Congtats on today's accomplishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's ok. I'm told there'll be cake after the Connemarathon. ...and if there isn't, it really doesn't matter. I'm bigger than than. I don't hold grudges. I rarely ever mention the Bogtrotters ultra marathon these days. Water under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

KC - Imagine how much faster you would have run, if you actually took your coat off for the race:)

Great running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Super run there. Congrats. :)

However, recalling your mild comments on the race walk on a previous thread, I'd like to remind you that the World Record for the Men's 50k Walk is a solid 5 minutes quicker than your run :D;)

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    Super run there. Congrats. :)

However, recalling your mild comments on the race walk on a previous thread, I'd like to remind you that the World Record for the Men's 50k Walk is a solid 5 minutes quicker than your run :D;)

Lol. Absolutely a fair point. However, let me respond with the following two thoughts:
    1) As Izoard astutely pointed out, I never took off my jacket. The reason? I was cold. The reason I was cold? I wasn't racing. If I was racing, my heart rate would have been closer to 165+ rather than 144, and my time would have been closer to the 3:30 mark. Suddenly the 50k walk record doesn't seem so impressive, when an ordinary mid-pack club runner can run faster!

2) I was using the race-walk example as a point of argument against someone else, who had previously made light of the sport, so it didn't reflect my own opinions. My own view is that while I don't have a huge amount of interest in the event itself (because it doesn't reflect a natural human exertion), I absolutely do respect the event itself and those who compete in it, particularly those at the pinnacle of their sport. Just don't expect me to love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Enjoyed the chat and company for the 1st 6 laps Krusty.... Unfortunately had to ease off 4 a variety of reasons......3.39.45 for a 50k training run which included a toilet stop is top notch stuff... Ur really on top of ur game atm....Keep it up

liamo123 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the chat and company for the 1st 6 laps Krusty.... Unfortunately had to ease off 4 a variety of reasons......3.39.45 for a 50k training run which included a toilet stop is top notch stuff... Ur really on top of ur game atm....Keep it up
    Pleasure was all mine Liamo. Thanks for putting up with the incessant spitting, dribbling and snot-rockets. :)

Today: 4.25 mile recovery run
    Walked over to the park, with the intention of doing two miles on the grass in the spikes (my form of barefoot running) but the body actually felt better than I expected/deserved, so I enjoyed four miles in the sunshine and quit before I did any damage. Passed the 500 mile mark for the year.

Summary: 4.25 miles in 35:32. @8:20/mile, HR=119

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great running yesterday, you're in good shape and still plenty of time for more. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice that it seems like you have recovered well.

See the HR spikes haven't be rectified with 910, noticed there as well that my unit came with 2.30, so there must be an update floating about out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Was that world record set on an undulating trail with stony / muddy ground ?

Was that world record set on an undulating trail with stony / muddy ground ?

I'd doubt it very much.

More just a point to show how good the top race walkers are, when somebody can walk a very similar speed over 50k as one of the best endurance runners among the regular boards posters can run the same distance.

All just a bit of fun :)

...as one of the best endurance runners among the regular boards posters...
    Now this ^ I disagree with! Sure WoundedKnee ran almost 10 minutes faster than I did, without breaking a sweat (though he did fail miserable to break the 3:30 mark, finishing in 3:30:02, which really calls into question his pacing skills :D). Donadea was unusual, in that it included a significant number of leading runners from the ultra-running discipline, many of whom are also regular posters on Boards (Bazman, WoundedKnee, Enduro, Mick Rice, etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again KC! Great stuff :)

Now this ^ I disagree with! Sure WoundedKnee ran almost 10 minutes faster than I did, without breaking a sweat (though he did fail miserable to break the 3:30 mark, finishing in 3:30:02, which really calls into question his pacing skills :D). Donadea was unusual, in that it included a significant number of leading runners from the ultra-running discipline, many of whom are also regular posters on Boards (Bazman, WoundedKnee, Enduro, Mick Rice, etc.).

I suppose. I was more referring to 10k to Marathon running, rather than Ultra running, which I genuinely never follow, on here or anywhere else.

EDIT: I've failed to notice the flaw in my point, the fact that 50k IS an ultra distance, albeit a pretty short one by ultra standards. Right I'm off to bed as I ain't thinking straight!

claralara wrote: »
    Well done again KC! Great stuff :)
    Well done yerself! I was only having a frolic in the forest, while you were breaking new boundaries!

Today: 6 Mile recovery run
    First of two recovery runs today, and it was a stiff, somber affair, with much to rue, and not much to celebrate, but the sloppiness of Corcagh Park matched my mood. I ran into the tail-end of a drugs and gun crime clamp-down in Clondalkin and some of the action followed me back towards work, where two young lads in an effort to flee the law, crashed their car while speeding down the Nangor Road (clearly in their haste, forgetting about the road-works/one way system). I'm hoping for my second run, I might get to see some bare-knuckle boxing, or perhaps someone being buried alive. Clondalkin; never dull.

Summary: 6 miles in 51 mins, @8:29/mile, HR=118

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Some training run KC. Savage stuff :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

savage stuff KC, well done! hope you had some well deserved beers after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done, great running and great report

• Advertisement

Evening: Recovery run part deux
    Back to the grass in Shanganagh with the spikes, and this time the head-torch for an easy four miles. Left calf is quite stiff after Saturday's long run, which could be a problem, as this is a pretty strenuous running week. I have a spare week and I'm not afraid to use it, but better to have the hard week this week, with Ballycotton in 13 days time.

Followed up with P&D Advanced core strength and 22 x 2 x 4 weights.

Summary: 4 miles in 34 mins, @8:27/mile, HR=117

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Evening: Recovery run part deux
    Back to the grass in Shanganagh with the spikes, and this time the head-torch for an easy four miles. Left calf is quite stiff after Saturday's long run, which could be a problem, as this is a pretty strenuous running week. I have a spare week and I'm not afraid to use it, but better to have the hard week this week, with Ballycotton in 13 days time.

Followed up with P&D Advanced core strength and 22 x 2 x 4 weights.

Summary: 4 miles in 34 mins, @8:27/mile, HR=117

Well done on a great run Krusty. Make sure to get enough recovery to get the full benefit of the run/recover for furtehr training.

For the first session (if in doubt): a moderate session with a recovery day or two after isnt a bad way to ease back in and gauge how the body is.

A good practice is to analyse how you would ideally recover blanking Ballycotton out of the schedule. Then put BallyC back in, leave the recovery there and work out what you could do after the recovery and before resting up a little for BallyC. That might be the way to optimally get the full benefit of both efforts. Or might not. Its often a good idea to have an alternative stream of training (emphasising recovery) as a worked out alternative when there are a couple of difficult hurdles to be negotiated.

Actually...i should actually start doing that myself and practice what i preach!!!! Im no expert on marathoning but i know that if youre in great shape a conservative approach when in doubt (and great shape) usually makes you stronger.

Anyway, just an argument against potential overcooking!

Cheers T-Runner. It's something I've been a little concerned about (over-cooking) over the last couple of days. Muscles (and the rest of me) are feeling a good bit better today, so I'm not quite as anxious. Part of me also wants to keep up the intensity this week, for fear that my body will be convinced that Donadea was my A race, and I've peaked (paranoia!).

Today isn't too bad: 9 miles aerobic, which I'll do at recovery pace instead.
    Tomorrow: 12 miles w/ 5 x1200m @5k pace. Will only do this if the legs feel fully recovered. Any lingering pains, and I'll find somewhere next week to slot it in (might be a good one for 4/5 days before BallyC).
    Thursday: 15 miles + 4 miles recovery: Again, will greatly reduce the mileage if the body's tired. After last Saturday, long endurance isn't a huge concern anyway.
    Sunday: 17 miles with 12 miles at PMP: This is the most important and I want to be back in proper shape for it, so I'll sacrifice other sessions/runs if I have to, to make sure this one gets all the focus.

Next week (Ballycotton week) I have a 7 mile tempo @15k-1/2M pace, so I'm going to skip this and replace it with Ballycotton. That'll greatly take the pressure off for that week. I'll try and do a long one in the middle of the week (20 miles). The week after is actually looking ok. Another sessions of 5k intervals (but this time they're only 600s), so there's nothing too strenuous after BallyC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Cheers T-Runner. It's something I've been a little concerned about (over-cooking) over the last couple of days. Muscles (and the rest of me) are feeling a good bit better today, so I'm not quite as anxious. Part of me also wants to keep up the intensity this week, for fear that my body will be convinced that Donadea was my A race, and I've peaked (paranoia!).

Today isn't too bad: 9 miles aerobic, which I'll do at recovery pace instead.
    Tomorrow: 12 miles w/ 5 x1200m @5k pace. Will only do this if the legs feel fully recovered. Any lingering pains, and I'll find somewhere next week to slot it in (might be a good one for 4/5 days before BallyC).
    Thursday: 15 miles + 4 miles recovery: Again, will greatly reduce the mileage if the body's tired. After last Saturday, long endurance isn't a huge concern anyway.
    Sunday: 17 miles with 12 miles at PMP: This is the most important and I want to be back in proper shape for it, so I'll sacrifice other sessions/runs if I have to, to make sure this one gets all the focus.

Next week (Ballycotton week) I have a 7 mile tempo @15k-1/2M pace, so I'm going to skip this and replace it with Ballycotton. That'll greatly take the pressure off for that week. I'll try and do a long one in the middle of the week (20 miles). The week after is actually looking ok. Another sessions of 5k intervals (but this time they're only 600s), so there's nothing too strenuous after BallyC.

That looks good. You held back a little on Donadea so the body should adapt positively. If youre in two minds about the interval session you could make it moderate. 3 by 1000-1200 or even 8 by 400's @5k pace with a minute recovery. The advantage of the session is it is getting the pace of Donadea out of your system, and freeing the range of motion of your legs up again to prpare you for the intermediate paces (M, HM and BallyC pace). Thats a mechanical benefit rather than necessarily a training one, so its one you could do without much tiring. Youll know best though as transitioning to the different paces may not ne an issue for you, and if in doubt skip it.

You shouldnt have to break the bank with the midweek long run. It will maintain and slightly improve your AT. Ballycotton wil greatly stimulate youre LT and subsequent M pace and long runs will send the AT in fast pursuit of it:--in perfect time for the A race.

Today: 9 miles recovery
    A lot of the stiffness is gone, but some of today's run involved road, and there's a knot developing in my left calf. More foam rolling and manipulation this evening, but if I can't get it sorted, I'll back off until it's sorted. So tomorrow's intervals are in doubt. A nice run around Clondalkin. No-one got shot, crashed, arrested, or buried alive, so good progress.

Thanks for the advice t-runner. Thing about those 5k intervals is they seem to get progressively longer with the program (until you hit the final 3 x 1,600) so I'd be a little worried that if I shortened them to 400m or 600m I'd leave too big of a progressive leap to the next set. But sure, looks like they'll be on the cards for next week anyway, unless I have a miracle sleep tonight (must dig out my compression socks).

Summary: 9 miles in 1:11, @7:55, HR=124

Today: 12 miles with 5 x 1,200m @5k pace

Well, my mini-miracle kind of happened (active recovery, with massage, foam roller, zum rub, anti-inflammatory gel, compression socks and no small amount of prayer), so by this morning, they pain/knot in the lower calf was minimal. Despite having any one of a large number of excuses to give this session a miss, I wanted to get it done as early in the week as possible so I could rest up for Sunday's more important session. Also my work-colleagues were taunting me with the weather (howling wind and sheets of rain), so my stubbornness kicked in.

I haven't done any 5k sessions since last October, so I wasn't expecting an easy ride. I ran the three mile warm-up to my usual interval haunt, and the wind was pretty violent (10-11 m/s). I figured the fairest thing to do would be to run with the wind for the first 2/3rd of the interval, then about-face and run into the wind for the remaining third. Target pace for the intervals was 5:2x (somewhere around 5:25 I'd be happy). Well, I didn't quite hit the numbers I wanted, but given the conditions, I'm happy I stuck it out and grinded out a session despite the horrid conditions.

Interval pace(1200m/.75 mile): 5:25/5:23/5:24/5:30/5:38
    Rest: 2:30 easy jog (into ugly head-wind).
    Average HR: 156 (climbing for each interval).

So, slightly fell apart over the last two intervals, but just trying to make pace gains into that wind was horrendously difficult. On the 3 mile warm-down back to work, I was shagged. I stopped twice and just wanted to sit down on the ground and rest for a while. Certainly some residual tiredness from Saturday's long run. It's done.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:25, @7:08/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yes I'd be surprised if there wasn't tiredness in the legs after Sat.
    Good man seeing out the session in those conditions

Today: Rest day
    Woke up with sharpish pain in the calf after yesterday's session (surprise, surprise), so in a fit of wisdom, I decided to skip the run today. Didn't stop me from packing my running gear and bringing it into work. Didn't stop me from admiring all the parks alongside the M50 on my commute to the office. Didn't stop me from contemplating an easy 6 miles on the grass at lunch-time. But in the end, I managed to resist and instead, stretched myself to near-death once I got home, with core strength and weights. Feeling very unfulfilled, and rather endorphin-deprived. But when I weighed it up against the risk of missing Ballycotton, Connemara and Boston, it was an easy enough choice. I've been down this road before, and poor choices led to three months of no running.

Summary: lots of stretching and weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What's the plan for Connemara KC? What race are you doing?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's the plan for Connemara KC? What race are you doing?
    Plan is to do the half at marathon pace. It's two weeks before Boston.

Advertisement