Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

archery - beginners course

• 12-08-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi all,

I would like to start my adventure with archery.

So was wondering if you know any club that organizes beginner lessons or some archery courses in Dublin area?

I recently checked http://archery.ie/, even contacted 2 clubs (Blackheath Archers and Dublin Archers), but didn't get any reply :(

Perhaps, someone here could point me in the right direction?

many thanks
    D.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Wicklow Archers is another to try.

Email: coaching@wicklowarchery.org

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

From the clubs you contacted it sounds like you are in North Dublin. Try Liffey archers too.

Some of the clubs emails could be checked only rarely. Best thing to do is look up on archery Ireland where and on what nights each club shoot then go along and see for yourself what it's all about. There's usually someone there who will let you know when the next beginners course is starting.

Hope this helps,
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sadchild

I am from the city centre, south side, but transport is not a problem. :)
    Jasonw, thanks for the hint, you're right, may simply try visiting them.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 36 clopow

Hey,
    Just wondering if you found a beginner's course? I just moved to Dublin and am looking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

Where abouts in Dublin are you so we can suggest a club closest to you?

• Advertisement

City centre, D2.

Check these out - http://archery.ie/site/index.php/current-clubs/dublin-clubs/

I shoot on a Saturday with my son 12.00pm - 1.00pm in Loughlinstown Leisure Centre, it's a pay as you go affair with limited coaching but it allows you to get some practice in. They also have a session on a Tuesday night around 8.00pm, you could give them a call and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

Is there any courses running in west dublin? Like the lucan area? I wanna give it a go.

Liffey Archers who are based in Kings Hospital School near Liffey Valley have beginner courses but are fully booked for the rest of 2013 - http://liffeyarchers.com/beginners-archery-courses-dublin/

Maybe contact them and book a space for the new year

Any update on beginners archery courses in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Slaacer

They should really put up a map with all the various clubs and each club keeping their beginners course details up and updated cos I'm also looking for one for my son - we're in the Luttrellstown area - not easy to find ;-(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

thank you that is more meaningful - didn't find it first time I went on the site.

Is there clubs who organise beginners's courses for children after school ie in the afternoon - so far I can find courses which are more suited to older kids or adults in the evening ?

I'm in D15. thanks

Slaacer, the trouble with what you are asking is that clubs are run by people who work during the day. Maybe the odd club might be able to accommodate you but.....

I know a man who could help you but he's in Arklow.

Adam Grant

Oh I understand that but I throught the IAAA had appointed coaches to schools years ago no ? if not then that could be a good idea to further develop the activity for kids then !

As I understand it, that Participation Plan was to groups/schools. It may still be in operation. Equipment was provided but the group/school paid a modest fee for the coaching. For individual lessons I think you'd need to find a club willing to coach during the afternoon or a privately run facility.

Adam Grant

yep you could be right there - thanks though :-)

Advertisement