Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... the PSP...

• 19-04-2012 7:31pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I used to have a naughty PSP but then ironically a very naughty person lifted it when I was burgled :D I am now looking to get myself another one. I would go for a PSP Go but of course no removable battery, no custom firmware! I was looking at a PSP Street but I was talking to a guy in gamestop today and he said that it didn't feature WiFi or remote play. Now, because I am a good boy most of the time and only use naughty PSP's for ancient game emulation, I do have a lot of games bought off the PSN. I thought the PSP street lacked a UMD drive so that wouldn't affect me, but apparently not.

So, am I better off going with a Slim&Brite? Can the PSP 3000's have CFW put on them? Does the PSP feature a Brite screen? Could I transfer my PSN games to a street via a USB cable? Still not sure I could do without the wifi, I find I use that to validate the game licences (especially the free ones that you get on PS+ that need to be validated every so often).

The only reason I would go with a street to be honest is because I hate gross fingerprints (glossy casing, worst part about this generation of gaming!) but I guess I could go with a white S&L...

Thoughts? How many people are still using their PSP's these days? I played around with a Vita recently and found it fun, but the screen is surprisingly low res, and it ain't got enough games yet...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Still have my fat psp and it's as daycent as the day it came out. Also what in the high hell is a "naughty psp"? :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

One with custom firmware :P Have to be careful on here with what we can and cannot say, even if we genuinely have no intention of ripping off SONY or other games companies :P Hard to know what you can say on here sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Andy!! wrote: »
    I would go for a PSP Go but of course no removable battery, no custom firmware!

PSP Go can have CFW, I've got it on my one but it's a temporary one and has to be re enabled each time it has been fully turned off, it stays in CFW if its turned off by leaving it in sleep mode though and stays in OFW until you re enable it, Its good for having all the games and stuff on the internal memory so no UMD's to anything to carry round too,

PSP Go can have CFW, I've got it on my one but it's a temporary one and has to be re enabled each time it has been fully turned off

Yeah I was aware of that but I'm looking for full, perma-custom firmware :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I was aware of that but I'm looking for full, perma-custom firmware :)

Easy peasy! You do know there's a console modding forum? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Cant you buy a 2nd hand original PSP in Gamestop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Every PSP can have CFW put on it. Even E1000. But only 1000/2000/3000 can get 'permanent' cfw, the kind that stays on when you shut it down. LCFW is still a fairly painless process though. You no longer have to rely on awkward glitches with .tiff images or any of that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

i bought a second hand 1000 series for €40 on adverts and put custom firmware on it. Now all i do is play mario and zelda on it :)

Walked town today looking for a new slim&lite with no luck, would go for a street but will have to look into its CFW abilities still, not to mention the fact that I want to put games I've bought on PSN on it :(

Still no luck finding a new one, and today I saw my SECOND second hand PSP that had scratches all over the screen that wasn't advertised as such on adverts :( Some people will try to get away with anything. Will keep searching :/

• Advertisement

Actually, I was wrong. You can install permanent cfw on any psp if the FW is 6.20 (which is what I'm rocking atm). And even if it isn't, you can downgrade just as easily as launching an app on your PSP. Just don't downgrade beyond factory firmware, or something.

btw, what's the battery thing about in the first post? Pandora's battery? You don't need those anymore.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Actually, I was wrong. You can install permanent cfw on any psp if the FW is 6.20 (which is what I'm rocking atm). And even if it isn't, you can downgrade just as easily as launching an app on your PSP. Just don't downgrade beyond factory firmware, or something.

btw, what's the battery thing about in the first post? Pandora's battery? You don't need those anymore.

Hmm, so I could do it on a street? Why are Pandora batteries not required anymore? Do streets have a brite screen I wonder? What firmware will most new streets carry out of the box typically? Will I be able to put a full proper cfw on it?

Thanks for the heads up Mindkiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭wilser

Still no luck finding a new one, and today I saw my SECOND second hand PSP that had scratches all over the screen that wasn't advertised as such on adverts :( Some people will try to get away with anything. Will keep searching :/

Xtravision have a new psp in the square tallght for €80

Pandora batteries are not required anymore because installing CFW is simply a case of running an app on your PSP as if it were just a game. Installing CFW is about as elementary nowadays as installing OFW. What you want to look up is 6.20 pro-b10.

I think a 'street' (that's an E1000 I'm guessing) should be ok so long as it's 6.20. But I've no idea what FW it would have out of the box. You might be safer looking up pre-owned pspgos (can you still get those?). They have 16GB on board storage which is cool, but they can't use the pro-duo memory sticks the other models use. So it actually costs more to upgrade storage. Whereas with basic models you can get two micro sds and a pro duo adapter for next to nothing.

Streets don't have a brite screen, but they do have the improved refresh rate of the 3000 screen. So no annoying ghosting effects like you'd get on 1000 and 2000. The 'brite' screen on 3000s isn't all good anyway. Some games look a little oversaturated and 2d games can have visible scanlines. Some actually say that E1000 has the best screen as a result. It doesn't have wifi though, but I can't think of a time when I needed wifi. The PSP downloads really slowly (1Mb per sec I think). I just stick with mediago.

CFW psps work with mediago as well, for what it's worth. You might have to mess around with seplugins or something. I can't really remember what it was I did but I've no problem copying my PSN bought games over.

Bloody hell great post mindkiller! So you can get full proper CFW even on the go now? Should have waited then before getting rid of mine. :( not sure I was crazy about the size and lack of umd though. Interesting about the street screen being better.

I might pop out to tallaght and see if they have PSPs too, thanks poster.

Are those dual micro sd adaptors you see on eBay any good? I wouldn't have thought so but mindkiller stated otherwise. What's the maximum size Id get away with putting in?

What's the difference between micro sd and micro sd HC? Will both types work?

Anyone? Gonna pick up card in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

All microSD cards bigger than 4gb are HC - stands for high capacity. You are different classes of cards (2, 4, 6 and 10) - the higher, the better in terms of read/write speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This thread seems to be more about console modding than games, so off with you to the console modding forum.

Nope, it's about the PSP in general, we've now moved on to what kind of storage the PSP accepts. So move it back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

13 out of 21 posts were CFW/console modding related (including the majority of your OP), so I don't think so.

The guys in here are very knowledgeable, so you're in good hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've used those dual micro sd to pro duo adapters before, never had a problem with one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have a 16GB, 32GB and 64GB microsd card. On the 64GB card I can get game launcher errors, so my guess is 32GB is the PSPs limit. Maybe more, who knows. If I had the dual one like Enternow I could test 48GB

I have a 16GB, 32GB and 64GB microsd card. On the 64GB card I can get game launcher errors, so my guess is 32GB is the PSPs limit. Maybe more, who knows. If I had the dual one like Enternow I could test 48GB

Yeah I've heard before that anything over 32GB can be hit or miss. Best stick to x2 32GB OP. The one I got was a cheap as chips adapter from DX, never caused any problemos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've used those dual micro sd to pro duo adapters before, never had a problem with one.

Where can buy these adapters and cheap micro SD?

Amazon.co.uk or .com. Play.com have them too but I'm not sure if they ship them here.

The 16GB cards seem to have gotten a lot cheaper recently. The adapters are dirt cheap. The read speeds are slightly slower than 'normal' pro-duo cards but all that means is it takes a few seconds longer for the PSP to boot. Everything else is okily-dokily

What about video? I'm currently looking at getting 2 32GB 4 channel micro SD's and a suitable adaptor.

What about video?

As far as I remember, there's a folder called VIDEO that will be on the root of your memory stick. You put videos in there & they will play via the XMB then. You may have to convert some videos though if they're not compatible

EnterNow wrote: »
    As far as I remember, there's a folder called VIDEO that will be on the root of your memory stick. You put videos in there & they will play via the XMB then. You may have to convert some videos though if they're not compatible

Yah. But how is the performance running off a micro sd-adaptor. :pac:

Video should be fine but PSP is crap for supporting video formats. I'm sure there's a way to get avi playing but I really don't think it's the type of device you want to be watching stuff on tbh. You have to 'hold' the screen, ugh..

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Video should be fine but PSP is crap for supporting video formats. I'm sure there's a way to get avi playing but I really don't think it's the type of device you want to be watching stuff on tbh. You have to 'hold' the screen, ugh..

There's an AVI player for the PSP (supports Xvid and Divx), and PMPlayer plays MP4, MKV and FLV files

Advertisement