Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Mine just said try again, both on the Suburban readers and the one at dart station, no other details.

I did notice that when you use it on the validator on the bus though it takes a little longer to validate than the other cards.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh forgot to mention earlier, I got the normal smart card discount when using both the Luas and Dart :)

Which is really what makes having this card worth it.

That's no surprise, thats exactly what the documentation said would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

There is a beep, a green light and the fare charged and the stage number and name are shown on the two line screen just above the smart card target. The beep isn't very loud

Paying via the driver, there is not audible beep on the 3 bus journeys I have take so fare. I've pretty perfect hearing.

The screen is too small and very dim. The details appear to be flashed up rather than displayed. Again I've near perfect eyesight.

So from an accessibility perspective this system where you pay the driver is very very poor. As a fully sighted person with full hearing I can hear no beep and have difficulty reading the screen. Could just about see the 1.85 on it. What happens to a person who's hard of hearing and/or has sight problems (not legally bad enough to have free travel card).

At the moment it is considerably slower than cash as there's an awkward pause before the driver realises it's a LEAP/Smart card and an awkward pause before I can work out fare has been deducted and I'm OK to go.

Beep should be audible, screen should be readable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

robd wrote: »
    At the moment it is considerably slower than cash as there's an awkward pause before the driver realises it's a LEAP/Smart card and an awkward pause before I can work out fare has been deducted and I'm OK to go.

100% exactly my own experience.

Leap in this form will definitely lead to increased dwell times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

robd wrote: »
    Paying via the driver, there is not audible beep on the 3 bus journeys I have take so fare. I've pretty perfect hearing.

The screen is too small and very dim. The details appear to be flashed up rather than displayed. Again I've near perfect eyesight.

So from an accessibility perspective this system where you pay the driver is very very poor. As a fully sighted person with full hearing I can hear no beep and have difficulty reading the screen. Could just about see the 1.85 on it. What happens to a person who's hard of hearing and/or has sight problems (not legally bad enough to have free travel card).

Beep should be audible, screen should be readable.

Good stuff Robd,you are very perceptive to point out the shortcomings of this from the accessibility perspective as that will get a few exec's sitting bolt upright in their leather backet recliners !

I would suggest that you contact the accesibility officer within Dublin Bus with these points as they do have a bearing on the companys obligations under the Accessibility Act 2000 and the company's own customer charter guidelines.

The "beep" you refer to is,I suspect,the standard Ticket Machine Keystroke beep and is not related to the Leap Card validation at all.

Some Ticket Machines do not have the keystroke beep enabled at all so I can indeed see further totally avoidable delays due to this imposition of silence.

The size of the customer facing display is also problematical,as it is at a fixed angle unsuitable for many customers different physical make up.

There is a larger screen available but to retro-fit the entire fleet would be a substantial EXTRA expense which I cannot see being borne by Bus Atha Cliath unless it is directed to so do.

The more comments which are appearing in relation to Leap's On-Bus arrangements the more my belief in the Flat-Fare element is reinforced,as if this level of negative feedback continues it will undermine the credibility of the entire programme.....Is the NTA/ITIB prepared to risk this entire project to in order to maintain a historical Status Quo ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Flukey wrote: »
    . So the argument for the flat fare gets some weight. Of course on the whole flat fare, is it fair to charge someone who goes two or three stops the same as someone who goes from one terminus to the other, but that is another debate. Let's keep this as much to the Leap card as possible.

Yes it is a debate worth encouraging,Flukey.

It's worth bearing in mind that an integral part of the National Transport Authority's remit as outlined here...

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/functions.html

....is provide for
    increased recourse to cycling and walking as means of transport.

So perhaps the introduction of a bus Flat-Fare which sees short-hoppers being directed towards cycling or walking may not be as strange as it might initially seem :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Aleksmart, given your regular positive contributions and highlighting of the many flaws of Dublin Bus, (don't go getting a big head now) is there any chance of you ever getting your arse onto one of those leather reclining chairs? Probably not, as trying to get things done there and the implementation of obvious changes appears to be like piddling against a hurricane, and the people at the frontline can't enter or even have any influence on that ivory tower that is the management of Dublin Bus. So we are doomed to continue to put up with these issues.

Anyway, getting back to Leap, I tried topping up at a Luas stop today and there was no problem. I had intended to top up by €5, but it only gave €10 as the lowest option so I went for that.

Inspectors got on the Luas and I instinctively showed my annual pass. I did think then of checking with them about how they check the Leap card, purely as a matter of interest, but they got off before I had a chance to do so. Has anyone else had any interaction with inspectors on any of the various transport systems?

I haven't yet ventured onto the DART or commuter trains, but I might take a trip on the DART before the trial ends. So far so good, apart from Dublin Bus. It would be so easy to resolve some of their issues.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    So perhaps the introduction of a bus Flat-Fare which sees short-hoppers being directed towards cycling or walking may not be as strange as it might initially seem :eek:

It isn't strange at all, it is actually common public transport policy around the world to discourage people from taking short journeys that can be completed by foot.

The reason being a person travelling a short distance might take up the space of people who are travelling a much further distance and therefore in much greater need of public transport, in particular at peak times.

This is the reason why the cost of LUAS and DART are relatively high for short journeys and only very gradually increase over longer distances.

This can also be seen in London underground, etc.

In fact DB's city centre fare is an anomaly and very counter productive for DB. Imagine at peak times a couple of people boarding the 16 at Georges St, paying a 50c fare, filling the bus, so it can't pick up people along other busy stops on Westmoreland St and O'Connell St. Leaving behind people waiting to pay maybe a €2.30 fare. Only for the 50c people to get off at Parnell Square and the bus ending up running empty the rest of it's route!!

It really makes no sense at all.

What would make sense instead is a flat fare, with the ability to give a reduced flat fare at off peak times, to encourage more people to travel off peak and therefore better utilise the bus fleet that is running either way.

bk wrote: »

.......In fact DB's city centre fare is an anomaly and very counter productive for DB. Imagine at peak times a couple of people boarding the 16 at Georges St, paying a 50c fare, filling the bus, so it can't pick up people along other busy stops on Westmoreland St and O'Connell St. Leaving behind people waiting to pay maybe a €2.30 fare. Only for the 50c people to get off at Parnell Square and the bus ending up running empty the rest of it's route!!

It really makes no sense at all.

It's great that these boards have the ability to cross pollenate in these ways...The City Centre Fare is yet another poorly managed,little understood mish-mash.

Incredibly,somebody found it possible to have "END of City Centre Fare Zone" and "City-Centre Fare Zone" plates made up and affixed to Bus Stops but totally neglected to have a "START of City-Centre Fare Zone" plate made up...result=Chaotic Nonsense.

According to this....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/City-Centre/

....the City Centre/Shoppers Fare South to North is valid between....
    Frequent bus routes connect all areas in the City Centre, from Parnell Square, O’Connell St., the Quays and the IFSC to Merrion Square, St. Stephen’s Green, South. Great Georges Street and Parliament Street. Just ask the driver for a City Centre Fare when you board the bus, stating your destination within the City Centre Zone.

....however,the lack of a "START of City-Centre Fare Zone" plate means that passengers demand the Fare from,for example,mid way along Leeson St and travel to Dorset St/Sinnot Place (A goodly distance from Parnell Sq West yet a location there are TWO "END of City-Centre Fare Zone" Plates affixed to the Bus Shelter (:rolleyes:))

Such a journey,once paid at €1.65 is now made for 50c,with few in authority having either the knowledge or interest to address the issue.

Yet again...we fail to address the simple issues which then mushroom into major issues before suddenly requiring a Ministerial Order or Papal Bull to rectify....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

the lack of a "START of City-Centre Fare Zone" plate means that passengers demand the Fare from,for example,mid way along Leeson St and travel to Dorset St/Sinnot Place (A goodly distance from Parnell Sq West yet a location there are TWO "END of City-Centre Fare Zone" Plates affixed to the Bus Shelter (:rolleyes:))

The city centre fare was introduced the same time as the College Green bus gate. Its introduction was intended to encourage people to try Dublin Bus who would not be regular users of the service, for example people who drive and park in the city centre getting around the main commercial areas north and south. The city centre fare zone plates indicated whether a stop was covered by the zone and the absence of it would answer your point above also. Unfortunately, DB didn't seem particular committed to the whole concept after launch and many of the stops have since lost the plates without any effort to replace them. I always thought this was unfortunate, along with the fact that the fare applied during peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Well today was the first day to use the leap card 46a into town. Scanned it at the reader no probs. It showed the fare and the bal that was left on the card. Boarded a bus on o connell st to go across the city on the city centre fare. Placed the card on the machine and stated my destination. Response i got was " ah bud i dont know how to use those new tickets go ahead your grand". Explained to him how it worked and he was still unable to issue a ticket so the card wasn't deducted the fare. How can they expect this to work if bus drivers have not even been trained for the new card.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Unfortunately, DB didn't seem particular committed to the whole concept after launch and many of the stops have since lost the plates without any effort to replace them. I always thought this was unfortunate, along with the fact that the fare applied during peak hours.

Indeed...anybody remember Centre-Link......?

Did'nt think so....:(

But to jog a few memories......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210063
    Centrelink - the latest innovative service from Dublin Bus

Centrelink: Dublin Bus Def. - "to link, to connect, to join, to merge and to meet"

From Wednesday 8th December Dublin Bus will start its latest innovative customer focused service - CENTRELINK. This service is the quickest way to get across the city:

* Linking the St. Stephen’s Green and Tallaght Luas lines
    * Linking the city from North to South and South to North
    * Linking Business and Shopping, Leisure and Entertainment from Morning till Night
    * Catch the 10 or 46A at the specially designated CENTRELINK BUS STOPS, and travel between St. Stephen’s Green and Parnell Square or link in with St. Stephen’s Green Luas Terminus and Abbey St. Luas for just 45 cent.
    * This 45c fare (or any Dublin Bus prepaid ticket) is valid all day every day and with a combined frequency of a bus every 4 minutes – this is a service that cannot be beaten on value or delivery. So watch out for the special CENTRELINK signs and bus stops.
    Speaking about this new service Grainne Mackin, Communications Manager for Dublin Bus said, “Dublin Bus have launched a number of services in recent weeks all of which are aimed at making public transport and commuting seamless, less hassle and value for money. By highlighting the existing bus routes of the 10 and 46A we are effectively linking the Luas lines and for very little cost. We continually listen to our customers and we always endeavor to meet their needs.

Centrelink Bus Stops are located going from the Southside of the city to the Northside:

* St. Stephen’s Green
    * Dawson St.
    * Suffolk St.
    * Westmoreland St.
    * O’Connell St.

And from the Northside to the Southside:

* Parnell Square
    * O’Connell St.
    * D’Olier St.
    * Nassau St.
    * Kildare St.
    * St. Stephen’s Green

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Alright, day #2 of using Leap.

Started out with a Luas tag-on-tag-off. No problems there, as expected. Quick, easy, and no problems with locating readers. When tagging on, the reader deducted €2, and the balance of the fare was added back on at the end. Grand.

Then got a city centre fare on DB. The driver really had no idea what he was doing. He printed out a 50c ticket, even though I had the card on the reader. I took it and asked if the fare was taken, to which he laughed uncomfortably and said "I don't know!" Later I realised that the fare was never taken off the card.

Coming home (tired and dejected might I add :P ) I really didn't want to interact with the driver, but me being a good guinea-pig I decided not to go for the easy €2.20 option (it's not my money so it wouldn't bother me) and instead asked for the €1.85 fare. It wasn't worth it. The driver was pissed off with another customer, there had been a minor scene, and all I could think was here we go I'm gonna hold up the queue even more now. I showed my card, put it on the reader and told him my fare. He obviously didn't catch it, because he barked back "How much?". I repeated. There was no beep noise [seriously -- there is no beep! I've used it properly three times now and there has never been a beep!] so again cue the awkward silence between me and driver. Also I'm there thinking, the people behind me must think I'm mad trying to use my smartcard with the driver, and not on the right like all the others. Anyway. There was a little orange light, but I have no idea what it was for. I think it had been on for the whole transaction at any rate. Also, I couldn't see the display -- not sure if it was due to poor light or the angle, either way it was useless. So after an appropriate length of awkwardness I looked at the driver, he nodded, and I went and sat down.

Next time I'm going to overpay by 35c. This kind of malarky is ridiculous.

At the risk of understatement: I think Dublin Bus's implementation of the Leap Card is total and utter bollox.

Aard wrote: »
    Alright, day #2 of using Leap.

Started out with a Luas tag-on-tag-off. No problems there, as expected. Quick, easy, and no problems with locating readers. When tagging on, the reader deducted €2, and the balance of the fare was added back on at the end. Grand.

Then got a city centre fare on DB. The driver really had no idea what he was doing. He printed out a 50c ticket, even though I had the card on the reader. I took it and asked if the fare was taken, to which he laughed uncomfortably and said "I don't know!" Later I realised that the fare was never taken off the card.

Coming home (tired and dejected might I add :P ) I really didn't want to interact with the driver, but me being a good guinea-pig I decided not to go for the easy €2.20 option (it's not my money so it wouldn't bother me) and instead asked for the €1.85 fare. It wasn't worth it. The driver was pissed off with another customer, there had been a minor scene, and all I could think was here we go I'm gonna hold up the queue even more now. I showed my card, put it on the reader and told him my fare. He obviously didn't catch it, because he barked back "How much?". I repeated. There was no beep noise [seriously -- there is no beep! I've used it properly three times now and there has never been a beep!] so again cue the awkward silence between me and driver. Also I'm there thinking, the people behind me must think I'm mad trying to use my smartcard with the driver, and not on the right like all the others. Anyway. There was a little orange light, but I have no idea what it was for. I think it had been on for the whole transaction at any rate. Also, I couldn't see the display -- not sure if it was due to poor light or the angle, either way it was useless. So after an appropriate length of awkwardness I looked at the driver, he nodded, and I went and sat down.

Next time I'm going to overpay by 35c. This kind of malarky is ridiculous.

At the risk of understatement: I think Dublin Bus's implementation of the Leap Card is total and utter bollox.

The Audible Warning issue is one of the unsuspected little things which will sink the Leap card if not addressed PDQ.

As a driver I believe it serves both Passenger and Driver in simply underlining the presence of a Card on the TIM reader...basic commonsense IMO.

Even this limited 500 person test group is firmly pointing the finger at the nonsense that is attempting to thump a square peg of a sortofa kindofa Fare-Stage system into the round hole of a spanking new digitized RFD etc system....pure unadulterated nitwittery.

If there is a central funding issue surrounding Bus Atha Cliaths farebox revenue situation,then that should have been negotiated and sorted BEFORE any Leap Card came off the press.....This is not the time to start last minute tweaking of a major new advancement in Public Transport marketability.....12 years and €40 Million should have meant a seamless introduction coupled and supported by the largest user applying a FLAT FARE to seal the issue !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The Audible Warning issue is one of the unsuspected little things which will sink the Leap card if not addressed PDQ.

As a driver I believe it serves both Passenger and Driver in simply underlining the presence of a Card on the TIM reader...basic commonsense IMO.

Even this limited 500 person test group is firmly pointing the finger at the nonsense that is attempting to thump a square peg of a sortofa kindofa Fare-Stage system into the round hole of a spanking new digitized RFD etc system....pure unadulterated nitwittery.

If there is a central funding issue surrounding Bus Atha Cliaths farebox revenue situation,then that should have been negotiated and sorted BEFORE any Leap Card came off the press.....This is not the time to start last minute tweaking of a major new advancement in Public Transport marketability.....12 years and €40 Million should have meant a seamless introduction coupled and supported by the largest user applying a FLAT FARE to seal the issue !
    To me it looks like the ordinary readers will pick up smartcards from a small distance away meaning they can be left in a wallet etc but the driver readers require the card to be placed and HELD absolutely still for the card to be read. if there was a slot to load the card into for the driver it might make the whole process go slightly smoother?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

foggy_lad wrote: »
    To me it looks like the ordinary readers will pick up smartcards from a small distance away meaning they can be left in a wallet etc but the driver readers require the card to be placed and HELD absolutely still for the card to be read. if there was a slot to load the card into for the driver it might make the whole process go slightly smoother?

wouldnt be for the card to read, with a smart card 2 things are happening. It's got to talk to the validator and the validator has to talk back to it.

With paying at the driver, the validator doesnt talk back to the smart card until the driver has finished tapping in / submitting the fare.

wouldnt be for the card to read, with a smart card 2 things are happening. It's got to talk to the validator and the validator has to talk back to it.

With paying at the driver, the validator doesnt talk back to the smart card until the driver has finished tapping in / submitting the fare.
    From the reports from people using them here it would appear the card is not talking to the drivers validate unless it is held perfectly still while the driver puts the fare on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

From the reports from people using them here it would appear the card is not talking to the drivers validate unless it is held perfectly still while the driver puts the fare on it.

That's because you've got to wait for the driver to input the fare. It's much easier to ask people to hold it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

With Oyster you have to put it flat on the pad - people will need time to adjust to it.

• Advertisement

What is the story with regards to buses where the validator does not work?

Last night I was on the bus and for everyone with travel 90 cards and ramblers etc the driver was telling them to go on ahead. He also told me to go on ahead as he didn't want to penalize me ten cent because their equipment wasn't working and told me not to pay in cash.

Be interested to see what would happen if there was a revenue check

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No validator = no fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

devnull wrote: »
    It's unfair to judge them like it's a full launch when the NTA have been very clear it is still in a test phase......

....Wait until you see the final fare structure, it has not been decided yet, as stated in the letter from Transport for Ireland.

The whole point of the test is to judge it like it is fully launched, then our feedback is used to improve it!

If nobody complains about the fare structure with Dublin Bus there will be no chance of it being changed for the final fare structure.

Your overall post was very scathing to someone who just raised a few valid points.

emco wrote: »
    If nobody complains about the fare structure with Dublin Bus there will be no chance of it being changed for the final fare structure.

Any feedback on the fare structure is going to be discounted anyway because that's a separate issue to the launch of the card itself.

Any feedback on the fare structure is going to be discounted anyway because that's a separate issue to the launch of the card itself.

And in my experience, this is exactly why big IT projects fail.

Not looking at the big picture, end to end user experience.

Seperate because the Company want it seperate but it is all tied in together for each and every customer but when has any CIE company heeded their customers complaints or feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Seperate because the Company want it seperate but it is all tied in together for each and every customer but when has any CIE company heeded their customers complaints or feedback?

Separate because the RPA (and later the NTA) were told to develop a card that carries the existing tickets, applies the existing fare and has an ePurse. They were not told (nor do they have the authority to) change the fare structures in any way - it's not an integrated fares project.

I'm not saying that this is right, just that it is what it is. If you want to see the fares changed, you need to tell your local TD and the DoT. Telling the NTA is pointless.

bk wrote: »
    And in my experience, this is exactly why big IT projects fail.

Sorry BK but, unlike many of your contributions, this is a total non-statement.

Fare structure is a completely separate issue to the implementation of Leap technology. The most common reason why a big project like this fails is when they try to deliver too much at once. A good example is the launch of Heathrow T5 compared to Dublin T2, where one went for a big bang launch while the other chose a staggered launch. Which terminal lost over 40,000 bags in the initial days of operation?

While some of the possible fare structures we might expect in the future is dependant on introduction of Leap the same doesn't apply in reverse. It was never necessary to change the fare structure to facilitate the introduction of this technology so why complicate it further and expose yourself to the risks of the additional (not to mention unnecessary) requirements that come with a new fare structure when trying to deliver the card?

Criticise the card all you want but let's save our criticism of the fare structure until that part of the project is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Fare structure is a completely separate issue to the implementation of Leap technology.

That's not very true. Yes, you *can* move to contactless ticketing without simplifying the fare structure but it's never a great idea. If you're underlying business problem is complicated, your new IT project is more complicated, more expensive and less likely to succeed.

The card has to hold cash (for multiple operators), tickets for single operators, tickets for multiple operators, capping for both single and multiple operators, transfers and rebates for single and multiple operators. The system also has support for settlement between the operators and retail network for all those elements. It's incredibly complex and hides a lot of business and technical details. If Irish Rail and Luas agree to a common cap, it requires complex a business agreement, settlement strategy and then changes to the backend to support all that. If a new operator comes along and wants to cap with some of the existing operators, there is another mesh of changes required.

If they had simplified the fare structure as part of (or preferably before) the introduction, the project would have been much easier and faster to deliver. If they had moved to a central farebox system like TFL and a flat fare or tag on/off system for Dublin Bus, the card and settlement system could have been much simpler.

If they decide in a years time to simplify the fare structure, it could require wholesale changes to the card and backend and, at best, throwing away a lot of the functionality that took time to develop and deliver. If they had done that from the start, the work wouldn't have been done and the time wouldn't have been wasted.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the bit about the customer needing to be able to understand the basics of how it works so they can trust the new system with their money. If it is too complex they will never understand it. If people don't trust the new Leap card they will not use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement