Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

4G in the knocklyon area with Meteor. Not bad at all! :D
    939396068.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

4G on Vodafone.

apope8 wrote: »
    4G in the knocklyon area with Meteor. Not bad at all! :D
    939396068.png

Nice :D just wondering how you are posting the result from the phone it shows your phone model etc? I can't seem to figure that out .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Vodafone 4G (mifi device, USB connection) in a 3dr floor hostel room in central Cork.

3727446920.png

In a couple of days I hope to post results from my home (close to Adare co. Limerick) for comparison.

• Advertisement

3729254343.png

Vodafone 4G

3729251650.png

3's 3G service

big difference lol:D:D

Vodafone 4G in Adare area (between Adare and Patrickswell), 2AM.

Device on desk, Adare side of house, 4 bars

3732284355.png

Device at window, Patrickswell side of house, 1 bar

3732288605.png

Device taped to window, Adare side, 5 bars

3732293861.png

Same location (taped to window), rerun after 10 min

3732300239.png

Apparently upload is very strongly affected by device position, while download is affected by position to a lesser degree but something else affects it, probably contention. I decided to keep Vodafone and wil probably order an antenna from dx.com (it's cheaper that way ant not urgent); when I do have an antenna I'll report on the speed I get with and without it. I'll also report on day/eveningtime speed tomorrow at the taped location, though I really need t stop testing soon as I have eaten over 200 Mb for these four runs!

For comparison only: DSL connection in the same house.

3732318527.png

I'm not entirely sure now why mobile is "midband" and DSL is "broadband". Of course the DSL stays, because it does not have a data cap; I plan to use the fast Vodafone connection for work, while freeing up DSL for family entertainment.

Same optimal location of device, 16:48 of a Wednesday

3733730491.png

Same place, same day, 19:11

3734072644.png

No noticeable degradation. Will do another check at 10-11 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Trying out tesco mobile on a HSPA+ dongle

3734703807.png

Not the worst I guess

15GB for 15 quid ain't terrible either for PAYG.

Really want access to a Meteor and Three 4g sim and dongle but no one I know has em!... Three get's the worst reception here, followed by Tesco/o2 and the winner is Meteor... Shame the meteor huawei b593s-22's are not in stock, I'd probably get one if the signal was good

I get 2 bars of 3g indoors with Three, 3/4 bars of HSPA+ with a Meteor/Tesco dongle... All that gives me slight hope for 4g access

EDIT:

Here is the speed of Tesco BB from a b260a (only 3g) router with 1 bar of signal...

3734737342.png

Also, the ping command never works in the windows cmd line... weird...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

3743184544.png

Three 4G in Dublin 7 with 3 bars. I'm surrounded by buildings in close proximity so I don't know if/how that would impact. I was getting around 10/2.5 earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

-=al=- wrote: »
    Trying out tesco mobile on a HSPA+ dongle

3734703807.png

Not the worst I guess

15GB for 15 quid ain't terrible either for PAYG.

Really want access to a Meteor and Three 4g sim and dongle but no one I know has em!... Three get's the worst reception here, followed by Tesco/o2 and the winner is Meteor... Shame the meteor huawei b593s-22's are not in stock, I'd probably get one if the signal was good

I get 2 bars of 3g indoors with Three, 3/4 bars of HSPA+ with a Meteor/Tesco dongle... All that gives me slight hope for 4g access

EDIT:

Here is the speed of Tesco BB from a b260a (only 3g) router with 1 bar of signal...

3734737342.png

Also, the ping command never works in the windows cmd line... weird...

Excuse the question but are you using the following in command prompt:

ping google.ie -t

or

ping google.ie -n 20 (number can be any millisecond value)

Also certain APNs dependent on network make that command no matter what site it is unreliable at best. Also some sites can block such requests so it can be site dependant

3743484896.png

Same as earlier, 3 bars on Three 4G in Dublin 7.

Every ping request times out... After some googling it appears Tesco block ICMP or something like that

Also on xbox live I couldn't download certain apps... Either giving me an error or saying I'm in the wrong locale when clearly I am not

It seems Tesco mobile block or change something I'm not aware of... I downloaded the app no problem on a three connection on the xbox... Weird that no pings work at all

Every ping request times out... After some googling it appears Tesco block ICMP or something like that

Also on xbox live I couldn't download certain apps... Either giving me an error or saying I'm in the wrong locale when clearly I am not

It seems Tesco mobile block or change something I'm not aware of... I downloaded the app no problem on a three connection on the xbox... Weird that no pings work at all

Have you tried pinging an IP address rather than domain name? Could be a DNS issue with Tesco. :confused:

Ok, now in my new location and on midband. :D

3757926426.png

4/5 bars reception on Three 4G with the Huawei B593. Higher speeds but worse ping...
    Still tweaking it, and it's also kinda around peak time now.

Yep, nada... no ping requests in any way shape or form!

Ordered a b593 on amazon it arrived Friday without a bloody Power supply unit.... So a new one is on the way, due Tuesday so I'll get a meteor and three 4g sim and see how it works 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Yep, nada... no ping requests in any way shape or form!

Ordered a b593 on amazon it arrived Friday without a bloody Power supply unit.... So a new one is on the way, due Tuesday so I'll get a meteor and three 4g sim and see how it works 8)

Very strange. Have you asked them?

I ordered a pair of original antenna for the B593 just now. Hopefully will get them within the next week. I'm interested to see if they help. :)

Latest speedtest. Getting there! :)

3760216604.png

Yeah it is strange, it's to do with them blocking certain packets for security reasons I think but I'm not too sure what I'm talking about.. It's not that much of a big deal but if I can't download location based stuff it's not great really.

I guess having a few payg sims handy would be good. Meteor and Tesco have decent signal here, I'm just yet to try 4g... Hopefully it all works out

And yeah do update on the antennas to see if they make a big difference. It seems the external antennas make a huge difference but if the small ones do the trick, it's probably a good investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

From North Donegal - about 2.5Km from the nearest mast. Still using Huawei B260a. On (extended) NBS contract because there is nobody else that can provide the same download at as cheap a price (and don't have the money to pay for NWEN install) :(

3760481559.png

Wow, got the b593s-22 today and it's almost tripled the speed with 1 bar of 3g signal!

3761616009.png

Haven't configured it or worked out what's best yet but first test and impression is pretty good! A big step up from the b260a and the options and choice in the router homepage is very extensive and good.. I don't even know what half of it does but yeah, so far, impressed. Thought I'd get slightly more signal but I have to sort that myself :)

Got some 4g sim cards... Here's meteor... 15eu for 6GB on a month contract is the best I could get out of them for a sim only plan... They wouldn't give me the student offer and have no payg 4g plans

3762116071.png

:pac: It's so fast I don't even know what to do with it.. Can ping addresses with it, so whatever three and tesco block, meteor don't

Here's three

3762200694.png

Not as good and 1 bar less signal and can't ping either!

Meteor works best but unless I could get a student plan It's not worth the hassle I don't think 30GB/22€ 18 month contract compared to three's 60GB 35€ for 12 months....

No aerials yet but they've been shipped. Just broke the 20down barrier on my latest test. :D

968197493.png

Ordered a poynting MiMo arial from ebay myself.. only get 1 bar in the house

Went on the roof for the laugh to see how much better it was and it went up to 3 bars of 4g on Meteor and Three

Meteor still wins hands down... far superior and prompt

Meteor
    3767196096.png

Three
    3767172596.png

Meteor iPhone speedtest
    2hhdn7z.png

Hopefully once I get this antenna it will be the internwebs sorted forever and you won't see me around here again :pac: Pretty happy with them speeds so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ordered a poynting MiMo arial from ebay myself.. only get 1 bar in the house

Hopefully once I get this antenna it will be the internwebs sorted forever and you won't see me around here again :pac: Pretty happy with them speeds so far

Do you have a linky for the right antenna? Can't find a decent one that doesn't cost as much as a new car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just ran a test on meteor this morning

3768517574.png

Quiet happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Meteor 4g using a Huawei e3272, only 2 bars, out in the sticks.

3768845717.png

106492000.png

Download is 1-4mb faster than what i'm getting on Tesco 3g with 5bars but upload is a lot better and more importantly much lower and more stable ping.
    Looks like i'll stick with Meteor and look into an external aerial and the Huawei b593s-22 router to get better speeds but perfectly fine as it is for my needs at the moment.

ouch. its more than halved dl speed at the moment (time 14:40 - 15:00) . This is the lowest 4g speed i'v measured so far but stll 50% faster than the lowest tesco 3g
    3769260188.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/969638865

Meteor 4G through TL-MR3420 router with E3272 and MIMO antenna on roof. Not in a meteor 4G area but manage to pick up 2 bars using the antenna. Hoping coverage increases over time with upgraded masts but happy enough at the moment.

Previously running about 5mb download oN 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

THE ALM wrote: »
    Meteor 4G through TL-MR3420 router with E3272 and MIMO antenna on roof. Not in a meteor 4G area but manage to pick up 2 bars using the antenna.

what aerial did ye get? do you get any 4g signal at all without it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Not posted on here for a while as I'm feeling a little insignificant seeing all these fab speeds. My bucket on the roof is still holding out though and keeping the consistant speeds:

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3769007295][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3769007295.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]3769007295.png

=al= is this the antenna you referred to??
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MIMO-Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Huawei-Aerial-Booster-20dBi-B593-SMA-1800-2600Mhz-/271369977003?pt=UK_Computing_Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item3f2ee93cab

Advertisement