Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

• 04-07-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey all. I sat my spsv test today and passed the first part
    And failed second part. I was sure I had got it but alas no.
    I found it a bit odd when I was told there was 36 questions
    But would only be marked out of 32 but what not know which
    32. I think this leaves it to easy to fix results.
    Also they won't let u know what u got right or even the % u
    Got right. Anyone any thoughts on this?......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 info91

Did the test and same happened....passed the first part but not the second.
    This test was introduced on July 1st...the people at the centre told me that over 100 people have done the test since then and only one has passed!!
    Ya.. I found it very annoying that they wouldnt give me any feed back on the score...just fail.
    Also...that thing where they only count 32 questions out of 36.4 questions are put in for research purposes..But as the previous poster said...which 4?
    Finally, I found some of the questions very vague. Even when the questions related to parts of the city I knew very well , the one right answer was not at all obvious. For example...if you were travelling from A to B which of these streets wouuld you not use? In those type of questions I could argue two answers were right.
    Anyone else find the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Howyadoing

I have got another test date Monday the 13th
    But am thinking it's a waste of time now.
    1 pass every 100 tests aren't good odds.
    At €85 a pop it could get very expensive.
    Also think it might be a bit of a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

absolutely delighted its hard to pass. just what us full time cabbies needed.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    absolutely delighted its hard to pass. just what us full time cabbies needed.

what u so called full time cabbies need is a good kick
    In the arse. There is lots of work out there for taxi drivers
    Who don't want to sit all day at ranks or at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Howyadoing wrote: »

Your talking out of your hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Have to agree with volvoboy,Not as easy out there as you might think.I am only new in the Taxi game myself, and yeah you can make a fearly good wage but expect to do 65+ hrs a week though.You might not really have a choice to sit or more importantly try to get onto a taxi rank.Ive driven around in circles some Fri/Sat nights for over an hour trying to find a fare.Counted 35 taxis on Dawson st and 30+ on Baggot st and i wouldn't want to even try counting at the Green,three to four lanes deep at 11.30 on a Saturday night.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

come on in the jobs great remember you should invest in a fairly good motor for all that limo work aswell :rolleyes: and id really recommend getting an airport pass ,theres loads of people that dont bother using the bus or the train they take taxis down the country .but be careful speeding around getting to all those waiting passengers ,you would,nt want points putting you off the road .
    theres a guy on here called taximanmartin he knows all the tricks .he even said he would give anyone the advise via a phone number if you pm him .
    go for it buddy theres gold on them streets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Palmy wrote: »
    Have to agree with volvoboy,Not as easy out there as you might think.I am only new in the Taxi game myself, and yeah you can make a fearly good wage but expect to do 65+ hrs a week though.You might not really have a choice to sit or more importantly try to get onto a taxi rank.Ive driven around in circles some Fri/Sat nights for over an hour trying to find a fare.Counted 35 taxis on Dawson st and 30+ on Baggot st and i wouldn't want to even try counting at the Green,three to four lanes deep at 11.30 on a Saturday night.:cool:
    jeeze palmy you must be new to the job .
    did,nt you not know that all those taxis are the guys who dont need to be prowling the streets looking for passengers .they all have their money earned .they just meet up every night around there to "chew the cud "and get away from her indoors .
    its just a taxi drivers club sorta thing . and once a month they might allow a newbie join the gang .
    all hush ,hush like ;)

come on in the jobs great remember you should invest in a fairly good motor for all that limo work aswell :rolleyes: and id really recommend getting an airport pass ,theres loads of people that dont bother using the bus or the train they take taxis down the country .but be careful speeding around getting to all those waiting passengers ,you would,nt want points putting you off the road .
    theres a guy on here called taximanmartin he knows all the tricks .he even said he would give anyone the advise via a phone number if you pm him .
    go for it buddy theres gold on them streets ;)

look I'm not saying it's easy I'm sure u have to work at it just like my last job.
    All I want to do is go out and earn enough to keep a roof over my head and food on the table for my family. I don't think I'll be getting rich of it any time soon. And yes I do intend on Being a full-time driver been sitting at home now for almost 3 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,892 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

look I'm not saying it's easy I'm sure u have to work at it just like my last job.
    All I want to do is go out and earn enough to keep a roof over my head and food on the table for my family. I don't think I'll be getting rich of it any time soon. And yes I do intend on Being a full-time driver been sitting at home now for almost 3 months now.

My 2c's worth, don't bother your arse, at least at the moment you're still getting your PRSI stamps credited ( assuming you were in a PAYE job ) get an spsv license and you will be expected to have an income and to be off the welfare for evermore, no benefits, no dental cover, no optical cover etc.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    My 2c's worth, don't bother your arse, at least at the moment you're still getting your PRSI stamps credited ( assuming you were in a PAYE job ) get an spsv license and you will be expected to have an income and to be off the welfare for evermore, no benefits, no dental cover, no optical cover etc.

was self-employed for 10 years so can't get a penny of anyone.
    so I have no choice but to get another self-emploed job. And
    Driving is the only other thing I can do.!!!

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Your talking out of your hole.

Best qoute of the day

instead of going into a new trade like taxing why dont you try harder at your current self employed job? Personally if I was in your position id keep the 5k plus in my pocket

blahblah06 wrote: »
    instead of going into a new trade like taxing why dont you try harder at your current self employed job? Personally if I was in your position id keep the 5k plus in my pocket[

My game is dead. but I'm not going to go into this head
    First. I plan on renting for at least 6months first to see if
    I'm cut out for it. So if anyone has a good rental deal for me
    Let me know!!!!!;-)

so your game is dead which is what game?

you want to get into another dead game.

it doesnt make sense at all.

seriously I dont know what you think taxing is about but maybe drive your own car into town on a fri night about 12 and see the amount of cabs about. have you priced your insurance on a taxi before doing your test? very high this year.

Aso be prepared to be offering 20% off the meter on your fares. going to take you a hell of a long time to get the 5 k back

The building game. the best offer I've had in 3 months is €400 a week for 50hrs. And I don't intend on spending €5000. And my insurance is €1100. I have a couple of mates who drive taxis and put me wide to a good insurance
    Broker.

ok so you reckon you will earn more than 400 a week after all expenses without having a radio on board?

your nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

The building game. the best offer I've had in 3 months is €400 a week for 50hrs. And I don't intend on spending €5000. And my insurance is €1100. I have a couple of mates who drive taxis and put me wide to a good insurance
    Broker.

I'd love to know who quoted you €1,100 with no history in taxiing. After 4 claim free years in the game (And a full no claims to begin with), I was quoted €1,150 full comp and that is actually quite good compared to other drivers I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

My insurance was 850 after 6 years no claims as a standard driver (not a taxi driver).You can make 600+ a week after all expenses renting a car etc.But as i said earlyer you need to do 65+ hrs and work all weekend nights till 5am as well as doing day/night shifts during the the week.Not great but it sure is better than some are getting.And take note of all concerts going on.I was kepted going Sunday night from the rod steward concert from 11 pm and still picking people up around the rds at 1 am.:cool:

Quinn-direct wanted €2600 and this company deal with psv Insureance. I was surprised with that price to. I've got 5 years no claim on a comerical policy which was down to €430. Also 5 years name driver on private ins.
    As far as the money and hours go I'm willing to do what it takes to earn a living. Ive got 3 runs to Carlow sorted every week paid monthly @€;125 a run 8 times =€1000 a month to cover any expensives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

Hope you had better luck with the test today Howyadoing ! Did you have to do both parts again or just the part you failed?

Iam doing the test this Wed for Dublin area, anyone any tips for me ! ( I mean as in what comes up and not as in dont get into the industry!!) :)

Ye me to. Only one out of a hundred passing seems a very low pass rate to me!!

Would like to hear from anyone who has passed this new test, and those who failed.

second test today and failed again:eek: its very hard but im not complaining
    if it stops people who dont know dublin at all getting it. some of the questions are like trick questions and some are really ****ty...

i will talk to anyone if they pm me i will give them my number to call me

Did you have to do both parts again? Are you going to go a third time in near future?

mark2000ie wrote: »
    Did you have to do both parts again? Are you going to go a third time in near future?

yes have to do both parts and i am doing it again next thursday.
    you can also get ur %result by emailing prometric.

did you fail by much or have you got a reply from them yet?

mark2000ie wrote: »
    did you fail by much or have you got a reply from them yet?

will know tomoro. got 93% in first and 74% in 2nd part last time.

Very close, were the questions in the second test similar to the questions in the first test?

• Advertisement

much the same type 1 or 2 repeats

Advertisement