Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So the youngster was charging around sniffing the sniffs & must of run into a rock with his mouth open as a canine tooth was sticking out at 90 degrees. He only let out a tiny yelp !.

A whole day at the Vet, a €100 bill & a dog minus two teeth !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Shedding season seems to have started in my house, grrrrr, this time of year is a pain in the backside, sick of sweeping up already :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Collie must have found something very old and very rotten as she has been sick a few times... Meds seem to have helped..

Either that or old age affecting her insides.Poor old girl; she loves her food so much.

And now they tell me that the Housing Officer is finally coming tomorrow... has taken since September to get this far.. please God collie is not sick as he arrives at the door..;)

Everything here stinks as they are once more muckspreading morning noon and night. In Texas they call it the smell of money. Not what my name for it is....

But there are snowdrops out and even a few daffodils....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

lrushe wrote: »
    Shedding season seems to have started in my house, grrrrr, this time of year is a pain in the backside, sick of sweeping up already :rolleyes:

Tell me about it!!! I spent an hour and a half brushing my springer last Friday and I'm gonna have to do the same again tomorrow I reckon :rolleyes: roll on the warmer weather when I can get him shaved :D

The terriers don't seem to have started yet but I'm sure it won't be long now.... and they can't be shaved as they're all short haired, me and my hoover are going to be even better mates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The terriers don't seem to have started yet but I'm sure it won't be long now.... and they can't be shaved as they're all short haired, me and my hoover are going to be even better mates :D

I think the short haired are worse, my Chihuhua would have a similiar coat to a JRT and it gets everywhere, your clothes, the couch, the mats and because it is straight rigid hair it sticks into fabics like a pin and it's a nightmare to hoover out :rolleyes:
    My Spitz, although he is long haired he only really sheds his undercoat which pretty much stays put until I brush him out but even at that he would need brushing everyday for week or so to get rid of it all.
    I feel exhausted just thinking about the work ahead!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

roll on the warmer weather when I can get him shaved :D

Here here! I'm brushing and vacuuming like the bejesus and still there are fur ball tumble weeds around the house! When the dogs move, a plume of hair rises off them and they are oblivious to it - well for some!

lrushe wrote: »
    I think the short haired are worse, my Chihuhua would have a similiar coat to a JRT and it gets everywhere, your clothes, the couch, the mats and because it is straight rigid hair it sticks into fabics like a pin and it's a nightmare to hoover out :rolleyes:
    My Spitz, although he is long haired he only really sheds his undercoat which pretty much stays put until I brush him out but even at that he would need brushing everyday for week or so to get rid of it all.
    I feel exhausted just thinking about the work ahead!!! :P

I thin in reality I'm in denial when it comes to my Jacks :D

I found myself this evening on my hands and knees using the furminator on the carpet... the really scary part is I'm not in the remotest bit houseproud :D:p but wow these dogs loose a lot of hair.
    I would recommend the furmninator it picked up everything the hoover (which was very expensive and generally great) left behind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just back from a lovely run in the curragh. The two boys had a ball! They have so much fun together. It's gas, Harley is twice the size of Phoenix, but it doesn't stop the little fella from trying his best to knock him. :) I can't tell you how quickly and deeply he's wormed his way into our hearts.

So my pup is nursing his still sore jaw & he runs into the only obstacle on my back lawn - the metal clothes line pole :eek:

What happened to his jaw?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    So the youngster was charging around sniffing the sniffs & must of run into a rock with his mouth open as a canine tooth was sticking out at 90 degrees. He only let out a tiny yelp !.

A whole day at the Vet, a €100 bill & a dog minus two teeth !

The Vet had to a lot of work as the tooth had split below the jawline & one bit didn't want to come out.

Ah poor little pet. Did he hurt himself when he ran into the pole? I'm always amazed at how they can knock themselves around and not react.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Whispered wrote: »
    Just back from a lovely run in the curragh. The two boys had a ball! They have so much fun together. It's gas, Harley is twice the size of Phoenix, but it doesn't stop the little fella from trying his best to knock him. :) I can't tell you how quickly and deeply he's wormed his way into our hearts.

:D:D but will his surname soon be Whispered:p

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah poor little pet. Did he hurt himself when he ran into the pole? I'm always amazed at how they can knock themselves around and not react.

This morning he forgot & picked a play fight with my Greyhound. She gave him a playful whack in the mouth & then looked amazed at why he yelped !.

ppink wrote: »
    :D:D but will his surname soon be Whispered:p

His name is phoenix egar (he's on facebook!). Don't think he'll be changing it for a while. Not until he's hairy anyway :D
    Discodog wrote: »
    This morning he forgot & picked a play fight with my Greyhound. She gave him a playful whack in the mouth & then looked amazed at why he yelped !.
    Ah poor thing. Actually, you'll be able to tell me. If they are hurting each other, they will yelp right? I'm not used to having 2 dogs and their play often looks really rough.

Most dogs especially the younger ones use the yelp as a way of saying "enough I give in" so it isn't always an indication of pain. Also dogs really vary on how they use the yelp. My Greyhound probably had it rough as a pup because she yelps at anything. It's quite funny coming back into the Vets waiting room & looking at the faces, after she has screamed the place down because of a simple Vac. She may of been hit in the past as the yelp is a way of stopping someone from hitting again.

As you get used to watching them interact you will spot the tiniest gestures of body language. The Greyhound can make the pup freeze & stop play fighting just by lifting her top lip ever so slightly !.

I haven't heard Harley yelp for as long as I know him. Same with Phoe (although I don't know him long). See they both have staffy in them, so I'm guessing they probably wont yelp as quickly as some other dogs, tenacious little brats.

Funny story - yesterday, Phoe was lying in bed chewing a bone. Harley went to take it from him and I obviously corrected him. I looked away, and when I looked back, Harley was dragging Phoenix's blanket, with Phoe on it (bone still in mouth), into his crate. Like he was thinking "If I can't take the bone from Phoenix, I'll just take Phoenix"

How old is your greyhound? I saw a man walking 2 fab ones today. They were muzzled. Is this the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just back from the beach at the Hook peninsula, had it all to ourselves, stopped for tea at the lighthouse, looked for fossils in the rocks.
    It was my first really good walk in weeks due to illness, and really enjoyed it.
    Dogs and daughter knackered:D
    I'm having a peaceful night tonight, with the remote all to myself:p!

Happy Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Had excellent puppy play date sunday afternoon. Friend brought over her two dogs - intact 5 y/o male malamute and spayed 5 y/o husky bitch, to play with Gus. Jasper, the entire male, was good about Gus (who was like one ginormous wiggle the second he saw the two of them).

We brought the sled dogs into the dog run through the garage with Gus in the garden, and let the three dogs meet through the wire run fence first, then after watching them for five minutes to make sure there was no posturing we opened the gate. Gus was beside himself, but also extremely respectful of Jasper (who at 40kgs with a head like a bear is an impressive dog). I had been very wary that Jasper might get very irritated by my dog bouncing around 'his' bitch, but he seemed to twig that Gus was 10 months old on 1st March and really is still a pup and was suitably both patient and aloof when Gus was being irritating.

The main thing is at the end of the playdate - 1.30pm to 5.30pm and we had a barbecue lunch while they were playing - I had this:

Snooze.jpg

Nothing like another dog to tire each other out. :) Sounds like a lovely sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

One of the dogs has a bald patch around her eye, on closer inspection it looks a bit rashy - off to the vet this evening to see what the story is.

Fingers crossed it's NOT ringworm, will have to set up quarantine if it is :(

Oh dear, hope you were given the all clear by the vet Lorebringer

Warning Do not read if you are about to eat.

So some friends pop round who are not doggy people. I go to the loo & return to find them looking a bit green around the gills. Turns out that one of mine has regurgitated her dinner all over the kitchen floor & the other two have rushed in & devoured the lot - even licked the floor clean :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Waste not, Want not! Nothing wrong with a spot of 'recycling' :D

Haha sounds like something my dogs would do :D

I have a feeling that it's going to be a long night as she (the one that was sick) is showing all the signs of an upset stomach.

Hey Discodog did you get any sleep? How's the sickly guy?

She's fully recovered. I got up at 2am & 4am to check :D

You got up? You mean you actually went to bed when one of your dogs may possibly have a stomach bug. How neglectful :p

Glad to hear she's feeling better.

Lorebringer, how did you get on?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement