Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Requesting guest specific gift.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

polydactyl wrote: »
    Our list that I previously mentioned was fab, esp as when we went to collect the gifts they gave us the list of presents purchased and we could choose if we still wanted them ( two gifts had been bought off list so we didnt need the ones from the list) and if not we could get a voucher to their value....and we collected them during the christmas sales so they gave us them all at the sale price and gave us the differnce in vouchers :p

So we have all the gifts from people to show them if they ever call over but got lots of extra bits too :)

would you mind telling me who you did your registry with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Arnotts did that when I got married 4 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Arnotts still uses that system. Lovely people to deal with too!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

would you mind telling me who you did your registry with?

It was Arnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

BTs do that too, or at least used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

nosietoes wrote: »
    BTs do that too, or at least used to.

I remember being charge an €8 "processing fee" - yes, every person was charged this €8 "processing fee", so BTs made a fortune selling gifts that people wouldn't otherwise buy as they would have just given the couple cash or gift tokens. Then when the couple went in, they were given the option of taking the gifts purchased or just getting a gift token to purchase whatever they wanted. WTF! I may as well have gotten them a gift token and saved myself €8. This was nearly 10 years ago, so if it is still the case, I wouldn't be surprised if this fee has increased.

That really annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I haven't been charged in the last 5 years buying from lists in BTs. That seems an odd system. I think it was gone by 9 years ago when my sis got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I bought for a friend's wedding from a BT list around 9-10 years ago and wasn't charged anything on top of the wedding gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I remember being charge an €8 "processing fee" - yes, every person was charged this €8 "processing fee", so BTs made a fortune selling gifts that people wouldn't otherwise buy as they would have just given the couple cash or gift tokens. Then when the couple went in, they were given the option of taking the gifts purchased or just getting a gift token to purchase whatever they wanted. WTF! I may as well have gotten them a gift token and saved myself €8. This was nearly 10 years ago, so if it is still the case, I wouldn't be surprised if this fee has increased.

That really annoyed me.

2005-2006? Height if the boomy mad times! Hopefully it's changed since then and apparently it has!

Right have read through the whole thread, enjoyed this one I have to say :p
    Thanks to Lau and Cake guy for providing a great story....oh my boards post of the year has to go to Hyzepher for the below :D:D:D
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think cake guy was in charge of the sons transportation to the wedding and he let them down badly - hard to find another bike at short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Redser87 wrote: »
    Arnotts still uses that system. Lovely people to deal with too!

Same with us, Arnotts wedding people were amazing to deal with

Same with us, Arnotts wedding people were amazing to deal with

Half the guests not in Dublin though so don't think Arnotts is suitable....and I don't live in Dublin either

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lisa78

Got an email from Avonmore with a competion and this thread was the first thing I thought of
    :D
    http://cookwithavonmore.ie/category/competitions/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lisa78 wrote: »
    Got an email from Avonmore with a competion and this thread was the first thing I thought of
    :D
    http://cookwithavonmore.ie/category/competitions/

Jaysus that mixer is worth €499! They'd have to split that between two people, and then get them to throw in 100 penny jellies to make it up to the right amount! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Thanks Lisa78 for the link. I've entered, I'll let you know if I've won!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Toots wrote:
    Jaysus that mixer is worth €499! They'd have to split that between two people, and then get them to throw in 100 penny jellies to make it up to the right amount!

100 penny jellies. Nostalgia x 100 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Half the guests not in Dublin though so don't think Arnotts is suitable....and I don't live in Dublin either

None of my guests who used the list were from Dublin they all bought online and I think they offer a delivery service too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

hdowney wrote: »
    100 penny jellies. Nostalgia x 100 :)

They just don't make em like they used to...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

Saw this guest specific gift letter for a one year old's party & thought of everyone here!

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/32vltg/most_demanding_1st_birthday_invite_ever/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I just realised that I never updated this because I thought I had. Sorry.

So basically they did ask for stuff just so they could sell it, because asking people for money is "tacky" but appearently it's ok to ask if your close to the person. Her mam had no clue and is still in all out war with her daughter over it. She said that she's furious at her mothr for telling people (her mother had a fb post about it, saying sorry, etc) and offering to return gifts to people. She's sold some so her mam wants her to pay back the money and she won't let her in her and her dad's house because the gifts are there and if she lets her in she thinks she'll take them.

Geez, they're crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Nua wrote: »
    Saw this guest specific gift letter for a one year old's party & thought of everyone here!

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/32vltg/most_demanding_1st_birthday_invite_ever/

Bahaha - [...personalised clothing is the #1 thing that leads to kidnapping...]

Whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

You're lucky not to be friends with that anymore, and if you put in the work to paint them a lovely stand mixer, they would only have looked for 30 euro for it anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Lau2976 wrote: »

So basically they did ask for stuff just so they could sell it, because asking people for money is "tacky" but appearently it's ok to ask if your close to the person. Her mam had no clue and is still in all out war with her daughter over it. She said that she's furious at her mothr for telling people (her mother had a fb post about it, saying sorry, etc) and offering to return gifts to people. She's sold some so her mam wants her to pay back the money and she won't let her in her and her dad's house because the gifts are there and if she lets her in she thinks she'll take them.

Geez, they're crazy.

omg that is mental!! glad you didn't get her the stand mixer after - some people are unreal and are not socially aware at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Who would have bought their portrait?
    :):):)

that's totally inefficient. You don't ask for anything....it's Ireland....people will just give money without being asked! Which is much better than losing the value of all those items by selling them on straight away.
    Can't believe the mother posted about it on FB :-o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lau2976 wrote: »

Geez, they're crazy.

You have to give us the mammys fb page. :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

deise08 wrote: »
    Who would have bought their portrait?
    :):):)

They probably actually wanted to keep that, but also make a few bob, hence the stand mixer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Nua wrote: »

Might as well have just written "your presents are crap. Give us what we ask for or formula. Nothing else is good enough"

Might as well have just written "your presents are crap. Give us what we ask for or formula. Nothing else is good enough"

Does she not know that breastfeeding is cheaper and best for baby?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Neyite wrote: »
    Bahaha - [...personalised clothing is the #1 thing that leads to kidnapping...]

Whut?

Child's name on clothing allows evil kidnapper to address child by name therefore assuring child this person is someone who knows them and is trustworthy. Or so I was told when suggesting a personalised item as a gift.

Have to laugh at gifts being held hostage by the bride's mam!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement