Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which phone to get? - Nexus 5, Z3, S5, Note 3, HTC ONE?

• 10-09-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, used to have: Samsung Galaxy Ace -> Xperia U -> Xperia Z -> Galaxy Y now, so I am kinda android guy.
    Had to get rid of Xperia Z since it had this flaw with back plate glueing off when it heats up making it not waterproof.

Anyway, I decided to get new phone, looking to spend up to 800 Euro on it.

Never been really fan of Samsung since I see it's design and GUI kind of plain and nothing impressive (except eye tracking thing).

What I need:

*Fastest hardware avaialble (preferably).
    *Huge, and I mean absolutely huge-ass screen (I am android developer, so it matters to me).
    *Durable.
    *Have unique features.
    *Be KitKat OS, and support nearest future OS updates (e.g - Android L)
    *Decent camera and sound recording.

What I see about phones in title:

Nexus 5:
    Only PRO I see: instant OS updates.

Z3:
    Only CON I am afraid of: Back plate unglueing when/if it heats up.
    PRO: I really like the Sony/Playstation feel of their modified OS.

S5:
    Other than ****ty GUI modifications by Samsung, I don't know any cons or pros.

Note 3:
    Same as above for S5.

HTC ONE:
    Never had an HTC.

Anyone can recommend anything of those kinds?

Also side question:

Anyone ever bought phone from Amazon? I mean not 2nd hand or anything but from say sellers like HTC, Sony, Samsung?

Most of them are in UK but do they deliver to Ireland? I can't be bothered buying phone in shops in Dublin then paying extra 20 Euro and waiting 3 days to get it unlocked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

wait for the Note 4 or Nexus X

if you have to buy a phone now, get the LG G3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Don't disregard the Google Play Edition for the Samsung.
    LG have really upped their game in the recent past.

However, Note 4 shall be shiite hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Don't disregard the Google Play Edition for the Samsung.
    LG have really upped their game in the recent past.

However, Note 4 shall be shiite hot.

Wow didn't know about Google Play Edition, where would I buy one though that's unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Where do you buy the HTC one? I don't see an option to buy it directly from motorolla website

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

arleitiss wrote: »
    *Huge, and I mean absolutely huge-ass screen (I am android developer, so it matters to me).

Have you ever considering doing your android development on a desktop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Lg g2 is unreal, I'd say g3 is even better

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What I need:

*Durable.
    *Have unique features.
    If these are the requirements, then you'd be best off waiting for the Samsung Note 4. It'll be released in a few weeks and it should beat just about every other phone out there by your benchmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

another vote for LG G2 or G3 from me. absolute animals of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

I'd go for the G3 as well. Hoping to get one soon on contract. I currently have a Oneplus one, running CyanogenMod, love it, and will also update regularly unlike most Androids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Up to €800 is a nuts to be spending on a phone, the only mainstream phone you couldn't buy with that money is an iPhone 6 Plus.

Get the Z3, it suits your needs perfectly and has no backplate issues (the Xperia Z was released Feb 2013, issue has well been addressed for their flagship).

Phone is available now on Amazon for £529.95 / €666.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-Z3-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00N8N4854/

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Up to €800 is a nuts to be spending on a phone, the only mainstream phone you couldn't buy with that money is an iPhone 6 Plus.

Get the Z3, it suits your needs perfectly and has no backplate issues (the Xperia Z was released Feb 2013, issue has well been addressed for their flagship).

Phone is available now on Amazon for £529.95 / €666.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-Z3-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00N8N4854/
    In all the criteria the OP listed, the Note 4 will be better than anything else out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

In all the criteria the OP listed, the Note 4 will be better than anything else out there.
    Only for screen size, Z3 is natively bootloader unlockable for development and he likes the GUI - he also said more than once about Samsung:
    Never been really fan of Samsung since I see it's design and GUI kind of plain and nothing impressive...
    S5: Other than ****ty GUI modifications by Samsung, I don't know any cons or pros.
    Note 3: Same as above for S5.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Have you ever considering doing your android development on a desktop?

I use PC for coding and designing but I test apps on phone, I am not fan of running emulator to test app.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Only for screen size, Z3 is natively bootloader unlockable for development and he likes the GUI - he also said more than once about Samsung:

Over past few days I was looking at phones, noticed that somehow Z2 camera is kind of crap compared to say Nexus 5. Is this any better in Z3? I know it has higher megapixels, but in the end of the day MP is not what matters.

Again, I go back to the OP's criteria.
    What I need:

The Note 4 has the fastest hardware, this is completely indisputable. The Snapdragon 805 and the Adreno 440 processor will smoke everything else mentioned on this thread.
    The Note 4 will have a 5.7 AMOLED screen with 515ppi, you will not get a better AMOLED screen than that and Samsung screens are always excellent.
    *Durable.
    This is subjective, but Samsung phone are generally regarded as being more durable than competitors.
    *Have unique features.
    IR blaster, SD card slot, removable battery, stylus, there's a few here.
    It will arrive on Kit Kat, it will definitely get Android L, Samsung are decent at getting updates in fairly quick order especially with flagships as this is.
    This can be subjective, but most people would regard the S5 as having the best camera on an Android phone. The Note 4 will have the same camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'll be shot down probably, for being a noob here, but why spend that much on a phone?? Are you not on a contract with any provider? Surely you can get a better deal? If you have that kind of money to spend on a good phone, you're probably on a high end bill pay system no?

I spent a little over that on my laptop about 2yrs back, still using it, and it's been great! But ... a phone! I understand you will benefit from it more than most, but I don't get why people spend that much on them.

I'll be shot down probably, for being a noob here, but why spend that much on a phone?? Are you not on a contract with any provider? Surely you can get a better deal? If you have that kind of money to spend on a good phone, you're probably on a high end bill pay system no?

I spent a little over that on my laptop about 2yrs back, still using it, and it's been great! But ... a phone! I understand you will benefit from it more than most, but I don't get why people spend that much on them.

I never understood this bill system, you sign a contract for next few years and end up overpaying for phone, as far as I am aware only way to get phone cheap from bill pay is fraud which I am not a fan of really. By the time you pay out the bill new models will be out.

Just checked.

HTC One: 99 Euro for phone then 35 euro for 24 Months.
    That's: 939 Euro with Billpay.
    Amazon: 467.61 Euro, unlocked straight from manufacturer.
    Pretty decent difference, plus you might get stuck with crap provider, while with unlocked and prepaid phone you can go to any provider you want.

Am I missing something special about Billpay?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I never understood this bill system, you sign a contract for next few years and end up overpaying for phone, as far as I am aware only way to get phone cheap from bill pay is fraud which I am not a fan of really. By the time you pay out the bill new models will be out.

Just checked.

Amazon: 467.61 Euro, unlocked straight from manufacturer. + at least 480on credit over 2 years anyway
    Pretty decent difference, plus you might get stuck with crap provider, while with unlocked and prepaid phone you can go to any provider you want.

You forgot to add in the phone credit youll need to buy to pay for calls and data.
    I wish it were otherwise. Coming out of contract in november, currently on 35E a month with vodafone. I never go over this, but never use all my minutes and texts either. Howerver dont know what id pay if i go to pay as you go, as currently i get all calls to other vodafone numbers for free, which is a big amount of my calls.
    I want to get a smartphone, thinking of going with a samsung S5 as I can pay vodafone 150 then 35 a month after. It isnt that much more expensive then shelling out say E400 for a nexus, then paying at least 20E a month pay as you go for the 2 years anyway. Only advantage i can see with that is you are not tied to an operator.
    id love for someone to prove me wrong as I'd love to save money

LaGlisse wrote: »

You forgot to add in the phone credit youll need to buy to pay for calls and data.
    I wish it were otherwise. Coming out of contract in november, currently on 35E a month with vodafone. I never go over this, but never use all my minutes and texts either. Howerver dont know what id pay if i go to pay as you go, as currently i get all calls to other vodafone numbers for free, which is a big amount of my calls.
    I want to get a smartphone, thinking of going with a samsung S5 as I can pay vodafone 150 then 35 a month after. It isnt that much more expensive then shelling out say E400 for a nexus, then paying at least 20E a month pay as you go for the 2 years anyway. Only advantage i can see with that is you are not tied to an operator.
    id love for someone to prove me wrong as I'd love to save money

Well I am on 48, 20 euro a month for unlimited calls and texts to any networks + 5 gb data.

And unfortunately if I decide to go with Bill Pay - Irish shops are pretty crap with top flaghship phones.
    I mean yeah there is S5, but that's as far as it goes.
    I checked shops and there is no: Motorola G, LG G3, Nexus or others of that type.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Well I am on 48, 20 euro a month for unlimited calls and texts to any networks + 5 gb .

Just checked their website and you have to be between 18 and 22. How is that legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

The one+ is working nicely for me at around £270 unlocked. Cyanogen are modding the OS and they are promising Android L within 3 months.

The pre-order system kicks in next month, I think, however you could butter up somebody with a spare invite.

There are faster out there but it is still fairly rocking, with a massive screen.

http://oneplus.net/uk

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Just checked their website and you have to be between 18 and 22. How is that legal?

I am 21, but let's just say I have friends who are way over 22 and just keep using it, every 4 years they just get new number and done.

harney wrote: »
    The one+ is working nicely for me at around £270 unlocked. Cyanogen are modding the OS and they are promising Android L within 3 months.

The pre-order system kicks in next month, I think, however you could butter up somebody with a spare invite.

There are faster out there but it is still fairly rocking, with a massive screen.

http://oneplus.net/uk

I've been considering that. I am buying phone in October 20th and if by then Nexus 6 isn't announced I will get either Nexus 5 or OnePlus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just checked.

Amazon: 467.61 Euro, unlocked straight from manufacturer.

It doesn't work out anything like that. You get a bunch of free calls and texts and net data useage ... if you're buying credit weekly you'll end up spending even more, at least that's how I used to find it.

I got the HTC for 119, and I'm only paying €25 a month - I'd spend more than that on credit, the phone would cost me triple the amount and knowing me, I'd also run out of credit at vital times, when I need it most!

God damn it, Nexus X rumors keep floating around that it's coming out soon.
    Rumors that make me wanna wait:
    Snapdragon 805,
    4k Video Camera,
    Android L,
    5.9" Screen,
    Something like 565 PPI,

Also knowing it's Nexus, I assume it's price is not gonna fly up sky-high to over 600 EUR.

Makes me really want to wait another month and use my ****ty Galaxy Y for now.

Just an update:
    It's been a month since this post, I did A LOT of research on phones.
    I ended up buying OnePlus One 64gb. That seems to be best option.

Advertisement