Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

bb1234567 wrote: »
    starting to sound like Owen C there .

ye kind of emabrassed by my post now:o didnt think i'd sound like such an ahole in it, soryy!:p

It's grand but I know where your coming from lol . I could say all sorts to them but I myself don't have exact predictions of what will happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

youngblood wrote: »
    I've just cancelled my order for 200 sleds/sleighs

pity, but we'll defo get snow now, temptin faith n all that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

If Piers Corbyn is right then we should see a big change to cooler temps by the end of Nov, becoming particularly cold by the 27th and first signs of snow will be around the 1st+2nd of Dec (perhaps moreso on higher ground) but then snow all round by the 14+15th of Dec. This, he says, will make for an exceptionally cold Winter.

This fits in nicely with my fantasy haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That 06 GFS is a stinker !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Celtic Snow Man

Any body know how you go about paying and downloading Piers Corbyns new 45 day forecast that is due out today?

I dont see it on his site.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

t|nt|n wrote: »
    That 06 GFS is a stinker !

Good for those conerned about oil/gas bills though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any body know how you go about paying and downloading Piers Corbyns new 45 day forecast that is due out today?

Cheers

and they say we're in a recession. Save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

So how's the weather looking for the end of the month? Ye think the colds a coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

only one wrote: »
    So how's the weather looking for the end of the month? Ye think the colds a coming?

No :)

t|nt|n wrote: »

No :)
    Lol, that's the spirit! December will be a cold one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

are these threads updating for everyone:confused:

whitemocha wrote: »
    are these threads updating for everyone:confused:

Yes you posted "m" on the other thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just had a quick glance at the 2 metre temperatures (i.e. just above ground level temps) on the GEFS model.

Right out to +384 hours (Thursday December 1st), it shows Ireland on that day with a temperature of 12oc.

I understand this is in FI and things can change however unless that high over Europe begins to move west, it looks like there will be no repeat of last year, however did anyone realistically expect a repeat of that severe weather? :D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=0&ech=192&runpara=0&mode=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

derekon wrote: »
    Just had a quick glance at the 2 metre temperatures (i.e. just above ground level temps) on the GEFS model.

Right out to +384 hours (Thursday December 1st), it shows Ireland on that day with a temperature of 12oc.

I understand this is in FI and things can change however unless that high over Europe begins to move west, it looks like there will be no repeat of last year, however did anyone realistically expect a repeat of that severe weather? :D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=0&ech=192&runpara=0&mode=4

Thats the problem, to many were expecting a repeat of last year, the chances of that happening were very slim, but having a read threw netweather this morning we could be in for a mild December as well, not good for cold lovers, BUT there is signs of the stratosphere warming towards the end of December and that could encourage northern blocking and we all know what happens then:) looks like MT could be right about January

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

so depressing... mild rain mild rain mild , so sick of it now....

even some nice clear frosty mornings would be grand !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

NIALL D wrote: »
    so depressing... mild rain mild rain mild , so sick of it now....

even some nice clear frosty mornings would be grand !!!
    Nicest stretch of weather that we have had in AGES

km79 wrote: »

Is it nice and bright out west? Cant begrudge you that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kalemm63

the mood of this forum changed so much over the last week .. everyone used to be excited for snow and now most people bar a few are depressed because of the mild weather where getting .. i really want snow soo bad :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Kalemm63 wrote: »
    the mood of this forum changed so much over the last week .. everyone used to be excited for snow and now most people bar a few are depressed because of the mild weather where getting .. i really want snow soo bad :cool:

People are being silly and getting ahead of themselves, It's the 15th of November ffs. I don't pay much heed to LRFs but I'm siding with MT this year as his long range forecasts the last two years have been eerily accurate. So January is when winter begins for me. Good in a way it lets you get the hassle of Christmas out of the way. And also gives you something to look forward to after Christmas :)

baraca wrote: »
    People are being silly and getting ahead of themselves, It's the 15th of November ffs. I don't pay much heed to LRFs but I'm siding with MT this year as his long range forecasts the last two years have been eerily accurate. So January is when winter begins for me. Good in a way it lets you get the hassle of Christmas out of the way. And also gives you something to look forward to after Christmas :)

Couldnt agree more, as I said in another thread, people were expecting a repeat of last year, at the moment thats not going to happen, As mt said its looking like January and a few others saying February as well, which is better, as last year it was one month of cold and that was it.

• Advertisement

As long as the south east gets snow I'm happy, but what are the chances of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »

Is it nice and bright out west? Cant begrudge you that :)
    No but it's been dry and mild. And that is as good as it gets here

As long as the south east gets snow I'm happy, but what are the chances of that?

One answer to that, No one knows

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kalemm63

id settle for snow in January :) sounds good to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Dere be tumbleweeds blowing across this here winter thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Cheers

Don't bother... there will be something on youtube soon I'd say. Also, he has been commenting on different sites if you want to do a wee search of Piers Corbyn on Google. He maintains what he says which is what I posted. Trends on metoecief and netweather.tv are somewhat consistent, of late, with his predictions. But... I will say... SAVE YOUR MONEY!! What's wrong with waiting and seeing what happens. His prediction will still be there to criticise or praise so let's see what happens.... booom!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

So it provisionally looks good for snow in the coming weeks.

First is this chart. It might be out of date by now be it looks encouraging.

h850t850eu.png

I look at the dailymail winter 2011/2012 board and I say this quote

"On the drive home from the office this afternoon just as it was turning dark a work colleague I was giving a lift to pointed at the sky. I looked up, and the Siberian Geese have arrived but in numbers I have never seen before. The flocks are absolutely massive, a quick estimate based on the V formations, size and number I would say we are talking in terms of thousands. Even compared to last years flocks and the subsequent harsh winter, I would say that their numbers are much greater in comparison!

This may well be a sign that the weather is about to change fairly soon."

I am not 100% convince he is be honest and not trolling snow lovers but if he is telling it is a good sign. Didn't the BBC programme say these geese appeared before the cold snap last year.

There is also this
    http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/news/national-news/122791-odds-halved-on-a-white-christmas-as-weather-forecast-shows-polar-blast-for-uk.html

Finally my personal observation.

At the end of my driveway I have a tree full of berries and the birds have not touched it at all. My cats have not made it easy for the birds to get near it. The wind over the past 2 or 3 weeks have knocked some of the berries off the tree but today the birds have been all over it. Birds don't usually eat from this tree but they did last year and now this year.

Lucreto wrote: »
    So it provisionally looks good for snow in the coming weeks.

First is this chart. It might be out of date by now be it looks encouraging.

h850t850eu.png

I look at the dailymail winter 2011/2012 board and I say this quote

"On the drive home from the office this afternoon just as it was turning dark a work colleague I was giving a lift to pointed at the sky. I looked up, and the Siberian Geese have arrived but in numbers I have never seen before. The flocks are absolutely massive, a quick estimate based on the V formations, size and number I would say we are talking in terms of thousands. Even compared to last years flocks and the subsequent harsh winter, I would say that their numbers are much greater in comparison!

This may well be a sign that the weather is about to change fairly soon."

I am not 100% convince he is be honest and not trolling snow lovers but if he is telling it is a good sign. Didn't the BBC programme say these geese appeared before the cold snap last year.

There is also this
    http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/news/national-news/122791-odds-halved-on-a-white-christmas-as-weather-forecast-shows-polar-blast-for-uk.html

Finally my personal observation.

At the end of my driveway I have a tree full of berries and the birds have not touched it at all. My cats have not made it easy for the birds to get near it. The wind over the past 2 or 3 weeks have knocked some of the berries off the tree but today the birds have been all over it. Birds don't usually eat from this tree but they did last year and now this year.

Yes they mentioned that about the Geese on that BBC 2 show about winter, but its only 1 chart and in FI, hopefully its a trend and it will continue, but dont get to excited yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Yes they mentioned that about the Geese on that BBC 2 show about winter, but its only 1 chart and in FI, hopefully its a trend and it will continue, but dont get to excited yet:)

I have been disappointed before so I guess it will be gone by tomorrow so no excitement here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

His thinking seems to be the best/worst of winter this year will be in January. He didn't rule out some snow and colder weather before then, though.
    It seems himself and the chief forecaster over on netweather are of the same view about when the core of the cold will be this winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement