Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭marathonic

link_2007 wrote: »
    It's across the brand - FSV and Universal Nutrition both have the same notice.

They're stating 'a worldwide increase in demand' as the reason for the price increase. Now admittedly, I am no economics genius but I thought if anything that would push the price downs lightly (supply/demand, no?)

Nope, the opposite. If I've 10 tubs of whey and 10 people are looking to buy them, I'd sell them at a certain price, e.g. 30 euro.

If 100 people are looking to buy them, I'll know that I can realistically charge 35 euro and at least 10 out of the 100 will be willing to pay that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Don't think so. There's a finite supply of whey. If more people want to take a slice of the whey pie, the pie supplier is gonna think 'well now to make a killing'. Think oil, base metals.

If there was an over supply of whey then yes, it would go down. Think houses.

Edit; Marathonic beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

The above posts make sense. I thought whey was easily sourced though, so it wouldn't be a huge effort to increase supply by a substantial amount.

I'm only thinking out loud here, so ignore me if I am talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'd say production will increase to try to meet demand. But I can safely assume the price is only going one way, as is the nature of these things.

Possibly a good opportunity for our indigenous agri-food industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

One of reps from Bodybuilding warehouse said that most of the bulk whey sellers, like myprotein, aren't making money off whey.

They're selling them at low prices in hopes we buy something else like a pre-workout.

• Advertisement

Are supplements like multi-vits rubbish and just a waste of money? Does the body actually absorb them in such a processed cap form?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

hi all,

can someone tell me the difference between these two? they both seem to have the same amount of protein, carbs and fat but Pro X has more glutamine whereas Big Whey has more amino acids and is far cheaper.

also, big whey is to be taken throughout the day whereas Pro X is directed to be taken just pre & post workout.

my goal is to gain muscle mass so just wondering which of the two I should be getting?

cheers

What should be in my pwo shake while I'm cutting?

I've read dextrose or waxy maize to .5g per kilo of body weight. Others have say grinded oats (like ON oats & whey) while others say just take your whey and have a banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Cork Boy wrote: »
    hi all,

can someone tell me the difference between these two? they both seem to have the same amount of protein, carbs and fat but Pro X has more glutamine whereas Big Whey has more amino acids and is far cheaper.

also, big whey is to be taken throughout the day whereas Pro X is directed to be taken just pre & post workout.

my goal is to gain muscle mass so just wondering which of the two I should be getting?

cheers

I use the Big Whey, pretty much because it is sold in the shop beside the gym. I also like it because it doesnt contain other supplements like glutamine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Gummy - some CO's are claiming to sell a whey (4.5-5kg) for less per kg than a dairy will sell the whey in 15,000+ kg lots.

Suffice to say it is not whey or at the very least not all whey. Soya, Pea and Collagen are the main culprits.

Some co's are very close to break even at their prices especially on unflavoured.

If you or anyone else wants a true picture of where the market is in terms of price - check out the maxiraw website prices. A proxy will be required but it shows a large company selling at just above breakeven prices.

If you see smaller co's selling for much less - well it's obvious there must be something awry.

The price increases are finished - it all happened between March 2010 and April 2011. No more price rises and perhaps an easing of price in 2012 but not by much and we will never get back to the 2010 prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Naos wrote: »
    Morning,

A mate of mine ordered XS Recovery from MyProtein a week and a half ago. Needless to say, he's not impressed (this is after adding water + mixing).

There are white clumps in the mix, even before you add any liquid. Once you add liquid, the white clumps remain and don't desolve.

He removed one of the clumps from the shake and it was dry and chalky, turning to dust when rubbed between his fingers.

Anyone have any similar issues with this?

Batch he ordered before was fine, using same shaker + amount of product.

Very recently myprotein had a problem with bad batch of whey, which mostly affected the impact whey protein. Not sure of this product, but if it contains whey then chances are that is the problem.
    Most of the problems were the poor mixibility you mentioned, along with it foaming up when mixed with milk(although mixing with water or non fat milk stopped this).

There isn't much he can do. I had the same problem with a bag of whey, and their customer service just gave me the usual copy pasta that they send to every customer, and didn't offer a refund/return, or any sort of discount or free samples.

Myprotein's reputation has suffered a lot in the last year IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Are supplements like multi-vits rubbish and just a waste of money? Does the body actually absorb them in such a processed cap form?
    Can anyone answer this??

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

http://www.menshealth.com/supplements/supplement/Creatine.php

Check out the mens health website its pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

i saw an article recently that claimed alot of multi vitamin tablets dont have the amount that they claim, i think they might have a loop hole by saying estimated amount

Im sure the body still absorbs them do i think they finished article by saying that your just better of sticking to the brand names as there more reliable i.e. the cheap ones are cheap for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Have been thinking recently of getting some BCAA supplements and have read good things about Scivation Xtend, does anyone know of any supplement shops in Dublin (preferably on the northside) that sell this stuff or something similar(something i can drink rather then tablets or caps), not online stores but somewhere i can drop into? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Westcoast Thugs

Have been thinking recently of getting some BCAA supplements and have read good things about Scivation Xtend, does anyone know of any supplement shops in Dublin (preferably on the northside) that sell this stuff or something similar(something i can drink rather then tablets or caps), not online stores but somewhere i can drop into? :confused:

Bcaa are crap

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

These guys are the last people I'd take advice from haha

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I would agree with them. Majority of sups are a waste of time and money. Jimmy struthers doesn't think so though.

gymsoldier wrote: »

Any particular reasons that stand out?

I haven't watched through much of their vids but they seem to review supps without taking them :confused:

gymsoldier aka an other jimmy :D LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Any particular reasons that stand out?

I haven't watched through much of their vids but they seem to review supps without taking them :confused:

I suppose its the whole idea of people taken advice from a couple or twins off youtube, opposed to real knowledge. And no, Ive nothing against twins.
    gymsoldier aka an other jimmy :D LOL

Sorry I forgot to laugh.

I suppose its the whole idea of people taken advice from a couple or twins off youtube, opposed to real knowledge. And no, Ive nothing against twins.

LOL my head off, but you take advice on here even tho you know nobody on this site ahahaa you funny jimmy :D

look at their site http://www.youtube.com/user/twinmuscleworkout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

lads can anyone tell me why the likes of jacked 3d and nos pump dont work for me? im currently looking for a good pre-workout supplement and im not having any luck.

forked out 30 odd quid for jacked after reading some great reviews but also the fact it was recommended by a few mates of mine which claim to get a great buzz of it before the gym and sport related training, iv also tried nos pump and that also has had 0 effect on me.

i dont drink fizzy drinks,coffee or other high caffeine products and my diet is very clean so i actually taught id be very sensitive to these pre-workout supplements but no im the exact opposite, is my body just immune or does it just have a very high tolerance to these pre workout drinks...

any feedback appreciated it.

Basically you havnt helped me at all? I wasnt looking for a review from 2 clowns in America i was just asking did anyone know where i can get this product in Dublin??

LOL you a Jimmy alright run jimmy run to dublin and get some bcaas fast before your muscle shrink ahah

Like to know what book or knob told you to take bcaa`s ?

Basically you havnt helped me at all? I wasnt looking for a review from 2 clowns in America i was just asking did anyone know where i can get this product in Dublin??

Nutrition Connection on Capel St stocks it. Expensive though and I heard watermelon is the best flavour.

LOL you a Jimmy alright run jimmy run to dublin and get some bcaas fast before your muscle shrink ahah

Like to know what book or knob told you to take bcaa`s ?

you are a moron... FACT!

you are a moron... FACT!

Is that right Jimmy WOW and what pro bodybuilder or book told you that i was a moron ? or was is the person that was selling supplements to ya ahaha :D

you went in to a sports shop just to buy some protein you came out with half the shop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Is that right Jimmy WOW and what pro bodybuilder or book told you that i was a moron ? or was is the person that was selling supplements to ya ahaha :D

you went in to a sports shop just to buy some protein you came out with half the shop :D

what pro bodybuilder or book told you he did that?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm going to assume calling someone Jimmy is an insult. Stop this nonsense now. In this thread and others you need to lose th attitude

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement