Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wolfenstein for the 360, €3.99 for a sealed copy? Yoink. Tron Evolution for €4.99? Yoink. Prey for €2? Yoink. Red Faction Guerrilla for €3.99? Yoink.

Cheers GAME

Which one were you in? I was in ILAC Centre yesterday and they had fook all worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Which one were you in? I was in ILAC Centre yesterday and they had fook all worth getting.

Was out in Dundrum, & popped into Liffey Valley on the way home. I reckon most of the good stuff is pillaged, but they were putting new-used games out in the Valley.

Can't find Civilization Revolution 360 in any of them tho :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

djsim101 wrote: »
    Hey fellow retro geeks,

Daughter and I just returned from a car boot sale, got this lot for 10 quid, not bad at all me thinks :D

2qc4eb6.jpg

Raystorm?
    Nice find, I liked that game a lot on the PS.

Didn't trek to any markets today, this particular atheist had to take his son to 60 minutes of Mass, as prep for his upcoming communion.. :(
    Then it was off to a school fundraiser, Family Fun Bingo, as gaelige...
    I should have them done by the advertising standards authority for the blatant misuse of the word "Fun" !

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

ah ha CiDeRmAn been there done that (Communion) This time last year we had to do 8 Sundays in a row, with mass starting @ 10.30am. Lucky you dude :)

Sure is Raystorm, havent played it in yonkes, looking forward to giving it a bash again.

This was actually my first time going to a car boot sale. Wasnt sure what to expect. It was actually my daughter that was pulling me away from the site. :D

Your man from the stall was saying it to my daughter "Isnt your daddy very good to you for buying you all these games" :p

This mornings haul

Rush N attack, spurred on by Pat The Nes Punk's video on it - http://thepunkeffect.com/?p=93

24wy6wp.jpg

My quest for the 16bit Aladdin games continues on the GBA. Yes I know the GBA is 32bit but its a near direct port of the 16bit SNES game

346st38.jpg

This should need no introduction, the Capcom/Disney romance blossoms with Duck Takes. One of the few examples of a tv licensed game being actually not just good...but brilliant.

nqx0mx.jpg

Bread & butter stuff here. This completes the 'Strike' lineup for my MD collection. And, like Aladdin, I wanna get VR on as many formats as I can as I love the arcade version & am very interested in the different ports of it.

ddj6mh.jpg

Not sure if Nyarlothedep reads here anymore, but this should make him happy. It also kick starts my 32X collection as I had NO games for it up until now, despite owning the console for 6/7 years. It's time enough I got started. Lol, like Aladdin & VR again though, I'm massively interested in Doom & its myriad of ports. The 32X doesn't bode well, but being one for oddities, I couldn't say no. €9 for an albeit tatty, but CIB version of it was a no brainer

t9b09l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I too am a lover of the VR Racing game, can't call it a series as there was only one of them!
    I have it on MD in both Pal and NTSC flavours, that way I can also play it on the Nomad.
    I have the pitiful Saturn version, the excellent 32x version and the not as good as the 32x but much better than the Saturn edition PS2 conversion.
    Outside of picking up the arcade game I think that's them all that there is, unless I'm forgetting something...

Oh, Empire of Steel for the MD and Dragon Blaze for the PS2 arrived this morning, Shumps a go go!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have the pitiful Saturn version, the excellent 32x version

Classic Game Room thinks the exact opposite, he reckons the Saturn version is the best home port. What kills it for you?

Why its so important to clean your ears carts. This is without even opening the cart :rolleyes:

233dxg.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

wow, thats filth, it must be a bad one. break out the steel wool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sad thing is, even games which look to be in good condition even seem to have dirt like that.

I got lazy with cleaning my carts a long time ago. Now there are too many to go back and do them all.

Cart cleaning party anyone?! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Classic Game Room thinks the exact opposite, he reckons the Saturn version is the best home port. What kills it for you?

Classic Games Room is very wrong. The Saturn version has new tracks and new cars but the thing that it gets completely wrong is the gameplay. The game was farmed out to Time Warner who made a complete mess of the game. The handling of the car is all wrong and as a result the game is a load of rubbish.

The 32X version on the other hand is superb and was handled in house and is a much closer port. I still think the megadrive version nails the handling a lot better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cart cleaning party anyone?! :D

Will there be dancing girls?
    That aren't Retr0?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Classic Games Room is very wrong. The Saturn version has new tracks and new cars but the thing that it gets completely wrong is the gameplay. The game was farmed out to Time Warner who made a complete mess of the game. The handling of the car is all wrong and as a result the game is a load of rubbish.

I couldn't agree more, see, I don't even have to say it, I just wait for Retr0 to say the definitive answer I always agree with!
    The 32X version on the other hand is superb and was handled in house and is a much closer port. I still think the megadrive version nails the handling a lot better though.

Not sure, the 32x was everything the MD had but more content and better visuals.

A cracking game, I was very disappointed that they never truly nailed an arcade perfect conversion, and remain so.
    Always wanted Scud Race as well...
    Lets face it perfection would be a collection of all the various Sega racing properties, a proper conversion of the original Sega Rally, Daytona, Scud Race, Virtua Racing, so many great series, I want to play them outside of Mame or collecting PCBs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not a game but game related. Got an absolutely gorgeous art book today or a collection of art from Minako Iwasaki. She started with Nihon Falcom before going freelance. It contains loads of gorgeous artwork from games and series like Ys, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, Pheonix Wright, Suikoden etc.

Thanks to Sera for spotting it for me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I only picked up Dead Rising 2 for £13 this week. Took a spin up to Newry on Friday and spotted some nice PS2 and xbox games. Regret not picking up a few but oh well, I can always go up again!

I only picked up Dead Rising 2 for £13 this week. Took a spin up to Newry on Friday and spotted some nice PS2 and xbox games. Regret not picking up a few but oh well, I can always go up again!

Eh, get the Famicollection going good sir

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Eh, get the Famicollection going good sir

Next month! I'll just buy a big random lot of carts and see what surprises it brings!

Maybe this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

djsim101 wrote: »
    Your man from the stall was saying it to my daughter "Isnt your daddy very good to you for buying you all these games" :p

:pac::pac::pac:!!!!!!!!!

Embarrassing moment! That's hilarious.

ddj6mh.jpg

I actually gave away VR Racing for free once....

Kind of regretting that decision now though since I can't play it on my everdrive.

How much does it go for these days?

Edit: About 10 quid on the bay, not as much as I was expecting really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I never knew a Virtua Racing remake existed for the PS2...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virtua-Racing-Sega-Ages-Vol-8-New-Japan-PS2-Game-/200436806738

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-AGES-2500-Series-Vol-8-V-R-Virtua-Racing-Flat-Out-/110799059999

$(KGrHqNHJBME7)6Mq7pNBO-I)b7hEg~~60_1.JPG

Has anyone on here played it? Any good?

I'm not sure if the sliding of the car is exagerrated compared to original but I don't really like it, and I can't seem to find a video with an inside view.

Be a shame if they left that out.

Seems pricey too, might be a bit rare.

waveform wrote: »
    Edit: About 10 quid on the bay, not as much as I was expecting really.

Think mine came in about €8 posted, it's pretty cheap. I like the fact that its the only MD game that uses the SVP chip...I think it is anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 C3P0

waveform wrote: »
    I never knew a Virtua Racing remake existed for the PS2...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Virtua-Racing-Sega-Ages-Vol-8-New-Japan-PS2-Game-/200436806738

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-AGES-2500-Series-Vol-8-V-R-Virtua-Racing-Flat-Out-/110799059999

$(KGrHqNHJBME7)6Mq7pNBO-I)b7hEg~~60_1.JPG

Has anyone on here played it? Any good?

I'm not sure if the sliding of the car is exagerrated compared to original but I don't really like it, and I can't seem to find a video with an inside view.

Be a shame if they left that out.

Seems pricey too, might be a bit rare.

I'm sure you can get the PS2 Sega Classics Collection fairly cheaply, and as I remember the arcade version, it's pretty accurate to it. It's a nice blast for a few minutes or so, as all good arcade games should be, it's not a sim after all.

Tant-R and Columns are pretty good too, if you like those sort of games. As I remember, the others are so-so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got Combat, Defender, Space Invaders and Solaris for the 2600 today :)

VR on the classics collection isn't bad, it certainly has the looks down to a tee.
    The Saturn version is tops for content but loses out in the fact that it plays nothing like the original.
    The MD and 32x versions, in the interests of compromise, are the best, both playing really well and the MD version a true triumph, compare the PAL version of Virtua Racing to the PAL Snes Stunt Race FX, the former is fast, fluid and playable, the latter, whilst fun, is sometimes rendered ridiculous because of a shoddy shoddy framerate.

The PS2 collection is well worth finding although, and this is a serious warning, even you deluded Golden Axe fans will find it hard to love the faecal stain that is the remake of Golden Axe on the disk,

Gunstar Heroes - Anyone who doesn't like this game is either ill, or has serious issues to deal with. It's that good.

1zptnid.jpg

Edit - How the hell do people let carts get so dirty? The same amount of gunk came outta this one is the same as Rush N attack in the pic previously. I got the stickers off this cart but have to wash the plastic now to remove sticker gunk. Do people store carts in flower beds these days? Main sticker is damaged but I seen that in the auction & didn't mind given its cheap price. I can live with that :)

Gunstar Heroes - Anyone who doesn't like this game is either ill, or has serious issues to deal with. It's that good.

1zptnid.jpg

Edit - How the hell do people let carts get so dirty? The same amount of gunk came outta this one as Rush N attack in the pic previously. I got the stickers off this cart but have to wash the plastic now to remove sticker gunk. Do people store carts in flower beds these days? Main sticker is damaged but I seen that in the auction & didn't mind given its cheap price. I can live with that :)

And, for all that hyperbole, you only just bought a copy of Gunstar?
    I mean, we all gave Retr0 stick for... well, lots of things, including not owning a Nes, but not having Gunstar?
    It's your second or third copy, right? I mean it's really just a spare, 'cos of all the Gunstar gaming you do, right??

Oh, and Dragon Blaze, on the PS2, by Psikyo, is frakking hard man!
    The screen just fills up with projectiles, there is less screen room devoted to the spaces between bullets!
    Why oh why do you hate me so much Psikyo?
    I must play some more Harmful Park and make myself feel more manly again...

And, for all that hyperbole, you only just bought a copy of Gunstar?

I never disliked it though, like those with no taste who dislike say the utterly brilliant Streets Of Rage. I just hadn't got around to collecting it, though I did own it in my youth. I blame the coke & hookers

Ciderman at the mere mention of SoR

12-home-improvement.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Oh, and Dragon Blaze, on the PS2, by Psikyo, is frakking hard man!

Do you know if that has a proper tate mode with screen and controls? Any videos I see of the PS2 version look to be played hori with nasty wallpaper borders either side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement