Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hard Knocks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Episode 4

"You're not good enough to be an asshole!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Channel 4 will be showing Hard Knocks at 0.55am on the 3rd of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Which franchise is Hard Knocks following this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Which franchise is Hard Knocks following this year?

Cleveland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

no official decision yet but cleveland are the favourites to do it! Although rumors are that they dont really want it because of the manziel out of rehab storyline - Texans are also meant to be considering going for it!

Eligible teams - Bucs, Browns, Giants, Jags, Rams, Redskins, Texans, Titans & Vikings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

no official decision yet but cleveland are the favourites to do it! Although rumors are that they dont really want it because of the manziel out of rehab storyline - Texans are also meant to be considering going for it!

Eligible teams - Bucs, Browns, Giants, Jags, Rams, Redskins, Texans, Titans & Vikings
    do any teams want it?

Texans are the only ones i have heard that might want it....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

could see it being forced on the titans

New QB
    DGB
    Orakpo
    Dick Le Beau

We're probably a bit boring though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

What does eligible mean?... I guess if you have already been featured on it then you can get out of it but there are loads of teams not on that 'eligible' list that have never been featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Leslie91 wrote: »
    What does eligible mean?... I guess if you have already been featured on it then you can get out of it but there are loads of teams not on that 'eligible' list that have never been featured.

Basically the show was/is dying and the last two years in particular it was tough to get a team to actually do the show for HBO and so the NFL introduced rules to make it that some team has to do it every year.

You can get out of it though if you fall under the following headings
    Under new rules implemented by the NFL last year, teams can avoid Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions: 1) A first-year head coach is in place; 2) A playoff berth in the past two seasons; 3) A Hard Knocks appearance in the past 10 years.

But you can still volunteer afaik if you want to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Basically the show was/is dying and the last two years in particular it was tough to get a team to actually do the show for HBO and so the NFL introduced rules to make it that some team has to do it every year.

You can get out of it though if you fall under the following headings

But you can still volunteer afaik if you want to do it.

It's a shame it's dying, but realistically,you're probably right. Most teams, the big drama is the exact same every year, so we don't need to see it reiterated every year (rookies, will they or won't they make the roster...). You get characters who can make a difference (Rex Ryan, Chad Ochocinco), but if a team lacks someone like that it falls a bit flat after a few seasons of it. The Falcons had basically nobody who I really gave a damn about. Matt Ryan is more of a walking toothpaste commercial than a human with a personality and flaws. He could bore rust off a gate.

Last season's was definitely the least interesting it's ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

It's a shame it's dying

It is not

Ratings were fine.

It is not

Ratings were fine.

The ratings for The Simpsons are also as high as ever, the show has still been dead for well over a decade.

I was taking dying to mean it would soon finish.

The last season (Falcons) - a few of my friends with no existing interest in NFL, watched, enjoyed and are now getting more into NFL.

I was taking dying to mean it would soon finish.

The last season (Falcons) - a few of my friends with no existing interest in NFL, watched, enjoyed and are now getting more into NFL.
    Fair enough, maybe I'm just getting sick of it. But really, it's the fact that, compared with the jets and dolphins series, the falcon one was very flat and sanitised. Bring me back Chad!

That being said, maybe Johnny football will liven things up...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

to be fair i think when they could almost cherry pick teams they could get characters like rex on it that made the show. buffalo, pats, seahawks, eagles(maby I'm biased there but a chip training camp :eek:) maby broncos could all be excellent

nerd69 wrote: »
    to be fair i think when they could almost cherry pick teams they could get characters like rex on it that made the show. buffalo, pats, seahawks, eagles(maby I'm biased there but a chip training camp :eek:) maby broncos could all be excellent

New coach, playoff, playoff, playoff

gufc21 wrote: »

i know that i was saying if they could cherry pick

gufc21 wrote: »

I think that was his point.

• Advertisement

im not so sure on the broncos pick - elway would just be in front of the camera all the time! haha!

Definitely Eagles - with the way there off season has been - with bradford returning from injury - there could be a couple of good storylines in it!

I personally hope its Vikings from the eligible teams - AP storyline, Cordarelle Patterson getting better at zimmers offense - bridgewaters development and then seeing how Waynes gets on!

But i can see them giving it to the Browns tbh

i know that i was saying if they could cherry pick

Mis read, woosh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

+1 for the Vikings, would like to see that

Mike Zimmer was on it before for the Cowboys.

Some players getting a lashing is guaranteed!

He won't be giving weak waffley answers to players like Joe Philbin or telling players one thing and than doing the opposite like Mike Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'd love to see the Redskins or Browns for the QB competition with RG3 and Manziel. Also, the locker room dynamic would be very interesting, driven by attitudes towards those two players. My guess is that the NFL will want to leave Manziel alone for the moment though seeing as he is rehabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Texans just bore me to tears, J.J. Watt aside.

In that sense, they'd be a fitting pick given the way the show has gone over the last couple of years.

REally looking forward to JJ Watt and Jadeveon Clowney in practice.

honestly if they just followed jj watt around for a few weeks it would be a better show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ryan Mallett will be hundreds of times more interesting than Matt Ryan. I actually think this could be a decent series. Mallett, Watt, Foster, Clowney and the best CB in this draft class imo Kevin Johnson. Not too bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think its impossible not to be more interesting than Matt Ryan. Dead people are more interesting that Matt Ryan. You have to actively seek that level of boredom, to not be more interesting than Matt Ryan.

Like, you know when you're sitting on a train or a bus, or something, minding your own business, happy out. The guy next to you is doing likewise. No boredom. Guy suddenly starts talking about the most mundane thing imaginable in the most dull, monotonous fashion. Suddenly, you're simultaneously annoyed, bored, and wishing the fella would go back to looking out the window.

That's Matt Ryan.

Advertisement