Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stages/Hens thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try Iggy's in Athenry www.iggysathenry.com but 14 lads might be difficult to get acc for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Quick one for you. Im staying in Jurys saturday night in the city centre. 6 lads in their early 30's. Whats the best pubs/clubs to go to and what places to avoid.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Quays, Dail, Busker Brownes, Spanish Arch, Halo if ye want a club. Theyll all suit and are a minute or two from Jurys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Stay in the vicinity of your hotel. As suggested above, Quays, Buskers, Front Door etc.

Avoid pubs around Eyre Sq. It's not a hot spot for stags....!

Thanks for the info lads. I had a good time. Had dinner in skeffs which was meh and bumped into 4 lads sniffing off the sink in the toilets at 3 pm:eek: I was a bit surprised there was nowhere doing a full irish before 09:30. I ended up going back to the hotel for breakfast which was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

The skeff has gone down hill very fast in the last 18 months. It's were alot of visitors to the city start the night. Walk in there any Friday or Saturday night around 9 and you'll get people just inside the front door looking for fights

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

you were doing well to be out looking for a Full Irish before 9.30 the day after a stag!

connollys wrote: »
    you were doing well to be out looking for a Full Irish before 9.30 the day after a stag!

Lol. Couldnt believe it myself. Think I got up at 08:00. Was aiming for 13:00 train home but got the 11:00 in the end. Im getting old you see:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Any recommendations for a house close to the city that would sleep 10+ for a weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Hi all
    Im bridesmaid this summer and the bride wants her hens in Galway. Wondering where is hen friendly or not around the city? Went to college there but its been a long time since I visited. Any help or suggestions of places to go would be great. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

mrsberries wrote: »
    Hi all
    Im bridesmaid this summer and the bride wants her hens in Galway. Wondering where is hen friendly or not around the city? Went to college there but its been a long time since I visited. Any help or suggestions of places to go would be great. Thanks in advance.

Stay around quay street. Everywhere there is hen friendly.

Halo nightclub do reserved areas too, always has hens at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I was thinking about getting my best man to organise a stag in Galway around first weekend in July.

Where from up north and its the guts of 4 hour trip. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether it would be best to go early sat and spend one night and then beers on the bus on the way home OR go Friday evening and stay two nights and die the whole way home on the bus Sunday?

I also had an idea for Cork but its about 5 hours away (google maps) seems a bit far to be travelling on a bus!

Also anyone had a stag do in either let me know what you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd say the Galway city forum would suit you better.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I have moved this to the appropriate regional forum for you. Thanks.

Mod

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Go Friday. You'll have the full day to wander round Saturday. And sleep the whole way home Sunday. That's exactly what we did for mine. Great spot, just go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I was thinking about getting my best man to organise a stag in Galway around first weekend in July.

Where from up north and its the guts of 4 hour trip. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether it would be best to go early sat and spend one night and then beers on the bus on the way home OR go Friday evening and stay two nights and die the whole way home on the bus Sunday?

I also had an idea for Cork but its about 5 hours away (google maps) seems a bit far to be travelling on a bus!

Also anyone had a stag do in either let me know what you thought.

I'd go Friday and sleep on the bus sunday. Even if ye only go for one night ye'll probably be dying anyway :)

If ye are thinking about July you should check out accommodation now. Galway is very busy in july. The connacht hotel is good. You might get a deal on lidlbreaks.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

July is mental busy, arts festival and galway races! Way more expensive for hotels etc but atmosphere is fantastic I second going Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭neerb

Hi

I'm organising a hen in Galway for the bank holiday in August. It's s two night hen so just wanted to get some ideas of the best places to go, things to do , restaurants to eat and drink and any activities worth doing . I have very little knowledge of the city so would welcome all comments suggestions !

neerb wrote: »
    Hi

I'm organising a hen in Galway for the bank holiday in August. It's s two night hen so just wanted to get some ideas of the best places to go, things to do , restaurants to eat and drink and any activities worth doing . I have very little knowledge of the city so would welcome all comments suggestions !

Have you accommodation booked?
    August bank hol weekend is very busy in Galway so a place to stay is first priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

cocoman wrote: »
    August bank hol weekend is very busy in Galway so a place to stay is first priority.

True it's the races weekend...not only is it busy but accommodation prices are often inflated.

• Advertisement

Hi I have booked a hotel in the centre since last week - radisson - so just trying to sort out the rest now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Hi I have booked a hotel in the centre since last week - radisson - so just trying to sort out the rest now !!

Fantastic no better weekend so!

Nice.
    Food - Brasserie on the corner is very good. It's on Eglington street which is about 5 mins walk from Eyre Square. McSwiggans which is just around the corner from there is also good.

Pubs etc - Most of the lively pubs are around the Quay Street area. There are loads.
    Not sure about clubs but one popular one is upstairs at The Quays.

For something different the greyhound racing is good fun and is popular with hens & stags. They do package deals where they reserve an area and provide finger food. Race track is on college road about 10 mins walk from Eyre Square.

Nice.
    Food - Brasserie on the corner is very good. It's on Eglington street which is about 5 mins walk from Eyre Square. McSwiggans which is just around the corner from there is also good.

Pubs etc - Most of the lively pubs are around the Quay Street area. There are loads.
    Not sure about clubs but one popular one is upstairs at The Quays.

For something different the greyhound racing is good fun and is popular with hens & stags. They do package deals where they reserve an area and provide finger food. Race track is on college road about 10 mins walk from Eyre Square.

Would you suggest reserving an area in the bar for Friday evening as there are over 20 of us in the group ? Also should the club be reserved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Would you suggest reserving an area in the bar for Friday evening as there are over 20 of us in the group ? Also should the club be reserved ?

Id be surprised if they would reserve an area that weekend, no harm trying in a particular place like Spanish Arch or Massimo but cant see many willing to do it. You cant reserve an area in the Quays if thats where ye are going, Halo have a 'VIP' area which is done by reservation, might suit ye more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

90% of stags and hens seem to end up in coyotes / stock exchange which is opposite taafes and the lings head on shop Street.

Stays open til after 2, the bouncers also let a lot more go than usual places! Always gets a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ACAN11

Hi

I am organising a hen weekend in Galway and I don’t know Galway very well and hoping you can help. Hotel is booked in Eyre Square.

Looking for some suggestions for the pubs/clubs that are hen friendly for the Friday and Sat night ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hens and Stags are welcome in just about all places along Shop Street that leads from Eyre Square down to the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

biko wrote: »
    Hens and Stags are welcome in just about all places along Shop Street that leads from Eyre Square down to the river.

I'm surprised, but few places have started to 'clamp down', and apart from Neachtains (which was always that way), I've heard of a few places refusing Stags and Hens down in the 'Latin Quarter'. Like anything else though, if there aren't a load of you, there usually isn't a problem, particularly in the bigger pubs vs if there are 20 of ye and messu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

biko wrote: »

A few years back, myself and a few friends got stopped going into The Quays & The Front Door as they didn't accept 'fancy dress'.

We were dressed as priests. We weren't drunk in my opinion, I had about 4 pints at that stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement