Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mudguards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Anyone recommend Mudguards to fit a trek madone with 700x25 winter tyres, would rather keep away from Crud..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

macadam wrote: »
    Anyone recommend Mudguards to fit a trek madone with 700x25 winter tyres, would rather keep away from Crud..

SKS raceblades if it is for back protection.

I also recently seen the SKS Velo range, they have sets without stays to where your eyelets would be if your bike had them so are basically free floating:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sks-velo-42-urban-mudguard-set/rp-prod68582

Might be rubbish but bar the raceblades, they might be useful if you need a small bit more cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Just recently moved up to 25mm winter tyres. Fitted me old Crud Mk2s.
    Out for a spin on the new tyres Sunday and had to stop, as the rubbing noise of the trye against the rear Crud (dont use front) drove me demented. Seems the 2 little brushes on the rear had gone.
    So tried to adjust it and bloody plastic nut fell off in the grass at the road side grrrrrr...
    After loosing the will to live ripping up grass for 20 mins, I ripped off end bit as it was wobbling everytime I hit a rough bit of road and then rubbing against the tyre. Only helped slightly...
    Anyone got a solution for loosing these 2 little brushes, which do seem to counteract the Cruds from swinging against the tyre wall?
    Also these Cruds don't seem to fit 25mm, so am I looking at SKS Raceblades?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone tell me about those ass saver things linked here http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/mudguards-road/mudr
    I've never seen them before, are these things supposed to be all you need on the rear if you're not concerned about spray coming off the rear onto a cyclist behind you? I ride alone so only need something that keeps my ass and back from getting wet, not sure if these are an alternative to a full rear mudguard or just a compliment to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Seweryn wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Do any of ye use wheels with 23mm wide rims on a bike with the Crud Mudguards? I use these mudguards for over two years and the only issue I believe with the wider rim would be at the brushes on the stays (see the photo below).
    I will appreciate your comments, as I am going to build a set of wheels and need to make sure that the wider rim will work with the Cruds. The tyres will remain 23mm.
    Just to answer my own question - I got the wheelset built a few months ago and the mudguards work just fine with 23mm rims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me about those ass saver things linked here http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/mudguards-road/mudr
    I've never seen them before, are these things supposed to be all you need on the rear if you're not concerned about spray coming off the rear onto a cyclist behind you? I ride alone so only need something that keeps my ass and back from getting wet, not sure if these are an alternative to a full rear mudguard or just a compliment to one?

The Ass saver will basically just about stop the chamois from getting wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

lismore7 wrote: »
    So tried to adjust it and bloody plastic nut fell off in the grass at the road side grrrrrr...
    After loosing the will to live ripping up grass for 20 mins, I ripped off end bit as it was wobbling everytime I hit a rough bit of road and then rubbing against the tyre. Only helped slightly...
    Anyone got a solution for loosing these 2 little brushes, which do seem to counteract the Cruds from swinging against the tyre wall?
    Also these Cruds don't seem to fit 25mm, so am I looking at SKS Raceblades?

I'm running Crud Mk2s on 25mm (actually currently a 26mm front) tyres without problems.

As far as spares are concerned, you can order everything direct from Crudproducts.com.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm running Crud Mk2s on 25mm (actually currently a 26mm front) tyres without problems.
    Did you have 23mm with these mudguards before and how they compare?
    What tyres do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Nope, I don't ride 23mm. They should cope nicely with 23 if they're ok with 25.

Current tyres are Conti Gatorskins. Been riding them for about 3 years now.

What I have found with the Cruds is that they're a bit fragile. I've broken parts picking up a twig on the road, catching the mudguard with my toe and jamming the bike into a car with the front wheel off. All fixed by buying a few spares...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Nope, I don't ride 23mm. They should cope nicely with 23 if they're ok with 25.

Current tyres are Conti Gatorskins. Been riding them for about 3 years now.

What I have found with the Cruds is that they're a bit fragile. I've broken parts picking up a twig on the road, catching the mudguard with my toe and jamming the bike into a car with the front wheel off. All fixed by buying a few spares...
    Thanks. I have been riding with Cruds for about three years and I know them quite well from this side. I had to replace the main blades about 3-4 times each due to them breaking at the eyelet point, which happens from vibrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Muahahaha wrote: »

In a previous thread, a guy posted this link. Its basically a D.I.Y. version of the one, you have linked.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Lightweight-Fixie-and-Single-speed-bike-mudg/all/?lang=zh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks, that explains it as I wasn't sure where they were supposed to be attached. Anyway I think its a full rear mudguard I need instead of one of those, they don't look like they'd stop much and are too high above the wheel to be effective I think

Advertisement