Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installing 10 speed cassette on 11 speed hub

• 01-12-2014 10:49am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got a new wheel (to me i.e its second hand).

Its has an 11 speed freehub and I want to install a 10 speed cassette. No spacer came with it but I assume I will need one?

Also it didn't come with a quick release skewer. I assume any mavic one will work? i.ie I have a askium on and want to use it on an open pro rim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bikenut74

I take it it's a Shimano freehub, that is made for Shimano gears and not necessarily made by Shimano. I'm not sure if there is any difference between a 10 speed hub and an 11 speed hub in Shimano but there is NO difference if it is for Campagnolo. The cassette for the 11 speed were made with narrower spacers and sprockets and use narrower chains as a result. The hub itself stayed the same width. Fit the cassette and make sure you can tighten the locking ring enough that the individual sprockets are tight and make sure the inside sprocket is not touching the spokes or the hub flange when you rotate it. If you need a spacer they can be bought in most bike shops for a few cents, 1mm or 1.5mm Any make skewer will do as long as its long enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its a shimano freehub for a power tap wheel. It was meant to be the 11 speed freehub with I assume a spacer for 10 speed cassettes.

Upon closer look it looks like a 10 speed freehub

From powertap 11 speed is on the left

nbzsp1.jpg

From what I got supplied

m7rv3s.jpg

Looks like a 10 speed to me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just had it confirmed I was supplied with a 10 speed and not an 11 speed

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bikenut74

Sorted so.

bikenut74 wrote: »
    Sorted so.

Pity I paid for an 11 speed freehub! One is being sent in the post tomorrow

• Advertisement
Advertisement