Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time Skiing

• 28-10-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading to Val d'Isere in December for my first time skiing. Just wondering about ski lessons over there, how many do you really need for the week, as a complete beginner? Would one or two days be enough, or do you really need a weeks worth of lessons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

titan18 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm heading to Val d'Isere in December for my first time skiing. Just wondering about ski lessons over there, how many do you really need for the week, as a complete beginner? Would one or two days be enough, or do you really need a weeks worth of lessons?

Depends are you a quick learner, any good at other sports????

3 days would be a minimum, remember most French ski schools only do half days. New Generation in Val D'isere are really good as ski schools go.

You could have a look at doing some lessons here either the 1 day course some sat @ Ski club of Ireland or the Ski centre on Sandyford both have options.

The reality is without lessons you will limit the amount of ground you can cover and will be stuck on lower and less challenging slopes for your holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Completely agree with Fattes, it depends on the individual.

Sportswise, I think previous history of sports will definitely help with the fitness - I have played football for nearly 30 years and when I first went to Arinsal it was the fear that held me back.
    We were part of a ski school, large groups, that did half day lessons in the morning. By day 3 one of our group of 4 was doing parallel turns (he had never skied before) and the rest of us were ploughing for the whole week!

We didn't try Kilternan before we went but if you would like to get a head start on getting use to standing on skis, turning etc it would be well worth it.

Also, having subsequently seeing my wife leaning how to ski through lessons by a small group initially and then one on one, I would definitely suggest 1 on 1 if you can afford that route. The progression is great to watch.

Enjoy no matter what you do and try not to get frustrated because as soon as you "get it" it becomes enjoyably addictive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I went skiing for the first time this year. I went to Andorra and availed of a beginners ski pack which included 3 hours of lessons each morning for 5 days. I must say I found them great, group size was approx 8-10, which was good too. The third day I found the most important for us as the instructor took us up on the slopes that day (Perviously we were on the nursery slopes, practising going, snow plough, turning etc) to try some blue slopes and the lifts. By the fifth day we were going great for beginners, some "basic" parallel skiing etc. I know of one or two who missed the day we went on the slopes and struggled for the skiing afterwards (Stuck to the conveyer and rope pull, and the beginner / nursey slopes). As a beginner I found skiing to be about just not being afraid of falling. If you are not afraid (The falls didn't hurt, snow wasnt hard or like concrete at all, I found if I was falling, I tried to roll with it, and get legs and skiis out from under myself as I fell so your knees don't twist) then it gives you confidence to try it without fear. Of the bus we were on, not one person was in a cast or on crutches going home so don't worry just enjoy it, it's really great fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you can afford to do lessons here to get you over the nursery slopes phase and then do lessons over there to bring you up to parallel I think thats the best beginner way to do it.

I personally think you need to do lessons for your first 3 or more trips and then preferably a private lesson each trip to bring on your skills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

My wife is in a slightly similar boat where she skied for the first time about 6 years ago and for various reasons never got a chance to go again even though I did. Were going for a long weekend in Jan and she's going to do lessons here in one of the 2 places that Fattes has suggested already. That way she can enjoy the few days away.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    I personally think you need to do lessons for your first 3 or more trips and then preferably a private lesson each trip to bring on your skills.

Yep spot on, you can always do with learning something new, I still try to ski with people I can learn from or get something out of despite the fact that I have raced competitively and can instruct on and off piste in 90% of European resorts!
    JIdontknow wrote:
    so your knees don't twist) then it gives you confidence to try it without fear. Of the bus we were on, not one person was in a cast or on crutches going home so don't worry just enjoy it, it's really great fun.

If your skis and bindings are set up properly you should have no issues with Knee twist as they will release on application of the relevant pressure, as for injuries, 90% of insurance claims on ski trips are for incidents that happen in the village with no skis on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

take the lessons , its not like school :)
    i always found them a great laugh and they get you out of bed and on the slopes early after too many sherberts the night before.
    also no harm in the dry slope etc here in Ireland, well worth it to get an idea of wearing the skis etc

I am delivering the one day beginners course at the Ski Club of Ireland on the 15th of November! I promise it will be fun, I will be gentle and you will enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fattes wrote: »

I am delivering the one day beginners course at the Ski Club of Ireland on the 15th of November! I promise it will be fun, I will be gentle and you will enjoy it :D

Thanks, but I'm from Cork. Going to try the new Ski slope in the Glen Centre

Fattes wrote: »

Thanks, but I'm from Cork. Going to try the new Ski slope in the Glen Centre

Meet some of the people trying to get there L1 instruct 1 for there in late May, seemed like a lovely bunch! How is the slope down there, seen a video of it and it looks like Snowflex?

• Advertisement
Advertisement