Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HKC Secure watch battery fault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have just encountered the very same battery fault on my hkc system. The advice here is great, going to try to replace the battery myself.

Can either of you guys send me a copy of the manual for this system?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PMing you that now.

Many thanks for that KoolKid.

Where's a good place to pick one of these batteries up? B&Q?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any of the suppliers in the sticky. Where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Is your system monitored ? Does Altor , Koolkid or anyone else know if a system is monitored can you change the battery yourself ... Would it affect insurance and such??

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Any of the suppliers in the sticky. Where are you located?
    Dublin city centre. It's not a monitored system.

Reliable Security in Druncondra would be handy for you .

Unit 2 Cian Park Industrial Estate
    Drumcondra,
    Dublin 9,
    01 8372445

Its a 12 volt 7 amp rechargeable battery you need. If your unsure bring the old one with you.

Is your system monitored ? Does Altor , Koolkid or anyone else know if a system is monitored can you change the battery yourself ... Would it affect insurance and such??

If its a monitored alarm & you are claiming a discount for EN50131 then any tampering by an unlicensed company/person could very well affect a future claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Yes it would. Most people who diy there own system will not have it monitored.
    The only thing to be aware of is what standard the system that your claiming for. If a working alarm then I can see no problem.

I was just curious as to why HKC said it wasn't a DIY alarm to the first Op an that it couldnt be done .. Thought they ment it was monitored . Thanks lads :-)

• Advertisement

HKC & other manufacturers will not give support to end users.
    Likewise If there is something wrong with a dishwasher or cooker etc you don't call Siemens or the likes.

not trying to argue but when I've had a problem with my HKC system and I couldn't get through to so and so .I've called HKC and asked to be put through to technical support .. They're very helpful and friendly .. ( Must be special treatment haha)
    Id expect the same from dyson or the likes

Most technical support would ask name or company if they didn't know you.
    Dyson is not a good example. Those devices would have user serviceable parts & replacements that are designed for the end user to clean or replace.
    You don't call out an engineer to change the filter in your Dyson.

Most technical support would ask name or company if they didn't know you.
    Dyson is not a good example. Those devices would have user serviceable parts & replacements that are designed for the end user to clean or replace.
    You don't call out an engineer to change the filter in your Dyson.

Hmmm fair point ... But you would call one out to fix the battery or motor brush . Changing the filter would be like walk testing the sensors on a system

Manufacturers decide whether their products have user serviceable parts inside or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

Hello,
    I am going to try to replace the battery also. Can one of you guys send me on the manual?
    Regards

PMed you that manual. If you have any problems you know where we are.

EoC wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am going to try to replace the battery also. Can one of you guys send me on the manual?
    Regards

It is not in the manual how to change the battery.

Follow these steps:

Turn off the mains going to the control panel as there is a risk of electric shock.

If the battery is completely dead the outside bell should ring till you replace the battery.

Open the control panel, disconnect the old battery and insert the new one making sure to connect positive to red and negative to back.
    It is a 12v 7 Amp replacement battery.

Alarm will activate, simply enter your code on the keypad to silence.

Close up control panel, turn on the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Denello

I PMed you the manual.
    Hi I am just following this old thread and I came across your response that you sent another user the manual? Do you still have a version that you could send to me? I'm having the very same issue with my system?

Thanks in advance,
    Niall

PMed you that manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hi Koolkid, could you send me the link to the engineer manual (and the user manual) for the Secure Watch panel too please.

Thanks a mill.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid, could you send me the link to the engineer manual (and the user manual) for the Secure Watch panel too please.

Thanks a mill.

Sent you that by P.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fireballs

Hi Koolkid, could I also get a link to the engineer manual for the Secure Watch panel too please?

I got the "Battery Fault" error, and I replaced the battery, but I still have the same fault.
    Is there a particular sequence that I must follow when replacing the battery?

Thanks very much!

I PMed you that manual.

The battery fault should clear itself.
    Check the battery fuse & also check there is a charge voltage on the battery leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KokaKola

Koolkid,

Can you send me a copy of the Engineering Manual?

Sent you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

We have the same error message with the battery fault but will get the landlord to sort that out.

This evening we got another error message: Add & Id keypad

Can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Anyone got any ideas? It's not accepting any of the codes

Battery is probably dragging the system down.
    Try disconnecting the battery power it down and power it up on mains power only.
    Do you have the user code for the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

Battery is probably dragging the system down.
    Try disconnecting the battery power it down and power it up on mains power only.
    Do you have the user code for the system?

To be honest, I have little or no engineering/electrical knowledge and wouldn't know where to start. All I know is that it was installed in 2004 and may not have been serviced for year, and we know the code to switch on/off.

I tried entering the default usercode codes as per some installation manual I found online but it won't accept any entries.

Got quote of €128 to come out, change battery & service the system (as long as its under an hour). Obviously other parts would add to this figure.

• Advertisement

A little bit expensive. Shop around and get someone out to look at what's needed and then give you a total price.
    I don't agree with time based calls priced like that. It's only encouraging the engineer to take his time etc.

Advertisement