Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

• 14-01-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks:

We've hit 10,000 posts in the old thread, so we've had to call time on it as the hamsters get tipsy when a thread gets that big.

But, the shutters are up & the kegs are tapped for the next round...

Edit:

Just putting in a link to the original thread. :)

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've 4 cans of Carling, 2 bottles of Heineken and a Kopperberg mixed berry in the fridge. Good times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

New thread!:)
    Was down in kilkenny last night, so had to drag the misses to the brewery corner. She was none to impressed with the fact that it was empty as she likes a busy pub?

Is it normally like this or did I hit it on a bad night, because if that's normal night for them bar Friday and Saturday, I can't see them keeping the doors open for long. :(

Had a lovely bottle of kinnegars yannaroddy coconut stout in the grapevine with some lovely tapas though. Wish it was rust bucket though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've 4 cans of Carling, 2 bottles of Heineken and a Kopperberg mixed berry in the fridge. Good times ahead.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Can we get this bad boy stickied?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It doesn't need to be stickied - it is constantly being updated these days & is always on the 1st page of the forum.

tHB

• Advertisement

I do think it rather nullifies the "Drink of the Week" sticky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Agreed - I see that there's only been a few posts in that in the past year. We'll probably unsticky it.

tHB

Had an erdinger this evening, my once favourite beer now tastes like fizzy juice.
    Still nice, but **** me is it bland!:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Scortho wrote: »
    Had an erdinger this evening, my once favourite beer now tastes like fizzy juice.
    Still nice, but **** me is it bland!:(

LOL. I has a Hardcore IPA. :P

(Sorry really! :o I made the mistake of drinking Erdinger last summer after my first experience of Trouble Brewing's Sabotage. I thought I was drinking a pint of pure foam.)

LOL. I has a Hardcore IPA. :P

(Sorry really! :o I made the mistake of drinking Erdinger last summer after my first experience of Trouble Brewing's Sabotage. I thought I was drinking a pint of pure foam.)

And sabotage isn't even hoppy!
    It's funny how your tastes change. I still like porter thank ****, but even better wheat beers like weihenstephaner and franziskaner don't do it for me anymore which is annoying when this time last year I considered it my favourite style.

Last January I had my first punk ipa, which was also my first ever ipa and I couldn't finish it.
    I remember having to leave behind a half pint of metalman pale ale, thinking it was far to hoppy and how anyone could vote it irish beer of the year was beyond me??? On Sunday night I was drinking it thinking this is nice and refreshing but is missing that extra kick. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And sabotage isn't even hoppy!
    It's funny how your tastes change.

Oops. I should have made that a bit clearer. I meant I had one drink followed by the other. I was still in shock from my first IPA and couldn't enjoy the weissbier an hour later. :(:D

Oops. I should have made that a bit clearer. I meant I had one drink followed by the other. I was still in shock from my first IPA and couldn't enjoy the weissbier an hour later. :(:D

Even still sabotage isn't even hoppy for an ipa. I remember having it at the craft beer festival in the Ifsc last year and thinking it was the best ipa ever because I could actually drink it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Had a "To Øl Sort Mælk" by the Danish branch of Brewdog last night.
    Milk stout, 13.1%. Smooth with a very late caramel after taste. Then came the indigestion!

That's now 262 different bottled beers since March '13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was down in kilkenny last night, so had to drag the misses to the brewery corner. She was none to impressed with the fact that it was empty as she likes a busy pub?

Is it normally like this or did I hit it on a bad night, because if that's normal night for them bar Friday and Saturday, I can't see them keeping the doors open for long. :(

Had a lovely bottle of kinnegars yannaroddy coconut stout in the grapevine with some lovely tapas though. Wish it was rust bucket though.

Was there on a Saturday night pre Christmas and it was dead, I wasn't impressed with the place at all, funnily enough in 2 other pubs down there they were using bottles of O'Haras as decorations as such, managed to get them to sell us a few bottles at 3 Euro each

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lurching wrote: »
    Had a "To Øl Sort Mælk" by the Danish branch of Brewdog last night.
    Milk stout, 13.1%. Smooth with a very late caramel after taste. Then came the indigestion!

That's now 262 different bottled beers since March '13.

I don't think you're quite right with that statement. The beer is by To Øl (a separate brewery to Brewdog, but it was brewed at Brewdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had a bottle of Whitewater's Belfast Black. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I very much enjoyed a few bottles of Black's Pale Ale and Black IPA last night. In 50 cl bottles:D
    I can't wait to see what specials this brewery come up with.

What does the Pale Ale compare to? Metalman?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I've never seen it dead, always manage to find a seat, but it's never been too quiet.

Keeping it on topic, I finished my Christmas present of a box of beer last night with a delicious Westmalle Tripel. Now I have to go back to buying beer again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Having a beer to celebrate finishing exams. Stone IPA. All the elements are there of a nice IPA but the long lingering bitterness just ruins it for me.

I popped into Drinkstore to see if there was anything new knocking about. Only new thing there was the latest SN Celebration (rather fitting!), so I picked up a couple to have tonight.

I see the latest Brown Paper Bag Project beer will be out shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sabotage is a very strange beer in my opinion.

Currently having a Metalman IPA in O'Neills. It really is a lovely beer.
    It and the Franny Well IPA may be my two favourite Irish draught beers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What does the Pale Ale compare to? Metalman?

It's paler. More hop flavour, less hop bitterness. More like a US style pale ale but not too full on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I see L.Mulligans has Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier on tap.

Not my cup of tea but I know there is a few in here who like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It's like drinking bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It's like drinking bacon.

I love bacon but dont like the liquid version :)

Mo14 wrote: »
    I've never seen it dead, always manage to find a seat, but it's never been too quiet.

Keeping it on topic, I finished my Christmas present of a box of beer last night with a delicious Westmalle Tripel. Now I have to go back to buying beer again :(

I was expecting it to be somewhat like the porterhouse on a Sunday night. Not packed but busy enough but there was only 4 there. If it's generally busy, then that's brilliant as the more craft pubs the better.

I was surprised none of the Galway bay beers were there but come to think of it, I don't think they sell Carlow themselves in their pubs.

Beer related had another devils half acre in the porterhouse and a raging bitch last night. Still loving both. Anyone got any suggestions of great IPAs in porterhouse? Think I've had them all at this stage! :(
    Also received a few bottles of Rochfort 10 of friends for my birthday!:)

ah jaysis, I don't believe it about the Schlenkerla, I bleedin love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Have 4 nice bottles of Goose Island IPA waiting for me when I get home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I see L.Mulligans has Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier on tap.

Not my cup of tea but I know there is a few in here who like it.

I noticed this also on their fb & twitter. Needless to say I will be making a trip in later on.
    I love that beer. I think it's nicer on draft also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I think I'll have to drop in as well. My first trip there too, now that WJ K is gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement