Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

mfceiling wrote: »
    I take it you've been in every pub in england:rolleyes:

Have you been to any of the small country pubs in cornwall - near fowey perhaps? Little pubs beside lovely rivers that serve great food and a brilliant selection of beers, with clean toilets and immaculate garden areas.

Probably not - have you been in the cuckoos nest or the dolphin house? Traditional irish pubs alright.

Most of the people complaining on here aren't interested in a good choice of beers, thats the ironic thing, thats why they are concentrating on food, pubs above all else should have a HUGE RANGE OF BEERS, food is an afterthought, this isn't the restaurant thread.

Geuze wrote: »
    A sweeping generalisation.

I've been to plenty of good pubs in Liverpool, London and Edinburgh.

OK, the JDW chain can be clinical, formulaeic, yes, with little or no character. But there are plenty of good pubs in Britain.

Give me a formulaic pub with 50 beer choices over a Irish pub with "character" and a choice of 4 beers any day!

stehyl15 wrote: »
    yea but you cant get tayto in them also the guiness in england tastes like piss

:rolleyes:
    Well than drink one of the hundreds of great english ales, porters or stouts then ffs! Try expanding your tastes instead of expecting all countries to sell Tayto and bloody Guinness (a mediocre drink)!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Will there be an assortment of real ales available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

If i had sky sports i would no reason ever too go into a pub again if you like having a peaceful drink at drink at home it cheeper anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Thanks, can you clarify:

a NI-based wholesaler was able to sell cans of Guinness, delivered to an RoI shop, 25% cheaper than the shop paid their local RoI wholesaler?

Off-licences buy cans/bottles from wholesalers, not direct from Diageo, isn't that right?

It was a strange one and i didn't believe it myself until i saw the invoices. The stuff they supplied was for the UK market 3.8% Carlsberg and 5% Budweiser and Heineken. Some things were labelled differently but in off sales where your margins are low and people shop for price nearly everyone didn't notice or didn't mind.

For bottles and cans you generally don't go near Diageo unless you needed to cross order (order off diageo to make sure your wholesaler has a certain among of stock available for you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Great news! The two in Manchester I have been to serve great food and the value is incredible.

I also reckon they will do great business in Blackrock. Tonic and many more in the village may like to think they appeal to a certain segment of the market, a segment which many on this thread feel is beneath Weatherspoons, but I guarantee they will do a roaring trade and all other boozers in Blackrock will need to take a long hard look at themselves.

In fact, 90% of the pubs in this country should re-evaluate their business models. But they won't. Not unless a weatherspoons parks itself next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's been years since I've been in a Wetherspoon's (Manchester 2004), and then it was for one pint - but that one was an excellent pint of Courage Directors' Bitter for the princely sum of £1.20. I only had an hour to kill before a concert, which was probably a good thing ... :o That's the kind of beer I'd like to see in Ireland - no CO₂ whatsoever.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Can be a mix of experiences. Some are fine, you'd stay there for a few and move on. Probably rare I'd spent a night there. Some are thoroughly miserable, dodgy and would stay clear.

Sounds very similar to the general cross section of Irish pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

mfceiling wrote: »
    Have you been to any of the small country pubs in cornwall - near fowey perhaps? Little pubs beside lovely rivers that serve great food and a brilliant selection of beers, with clean toilets and immaculate garden areas.

I had the pleasure of drinking in a couple of pubs near Falmouth & Truro in Cornwall last month - great places and it was some of the nicest pub grub I've ever had in either the UK or Ireland.
    Check out the Pandora Inn if you're ever in that neck of the woods or the Royal Oak in Perranwell Station ner Truro - better food than you'd get in the vast majority of pubs here.

• Advertisement

Give me a formulaic pub with 50 beer choices over a Irish pub with "character" and a choice of 4 beers any day!

Anyone else interested in starting a Yard House franchise in Ireland? :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Been to Wetherspoons twice, once in Glasgow, the other in Belfast. Went mid day in Glasgow, got a burger, chips and a pint for £5, was very happy with that. Was dead when I went in Belfast, but it was a Sunday night. Still, was happy to get a decent pint.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just back from Wetherspoons in Derry, had an 8oz sirloin, baked potato, peas, mushroom and tomato plus a pint of 4.8% dark ale for £6.50. Can't beat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

irish_goat wrote: »
    Just back from Wetherspoons in Derry, had an 8oz sirloin, baked potato, peas, mushroom and tomato plus a pint of 4.8% dark ale for £6.50. Can't beat it!

When that comes to Dublin it will be €25 :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

JDW..... We used to call them ' The Woolworth''s of Pubs' , they took over all the old Woolies sites around where I lived in NW London and they all became the ' The Moon XXXXXXXX'

Cheap beer , sometimes good often not , cheap food usually good value

That saying they had promotions like Curry and a pint for a fiver on a Thursday , which you can't beat TBH

If it does serve a selection of decent beer , great , but real ale needs throughput , I can't see them being able to offer 4-5 cask ales.

Didn't they try to open a pub in D7 during ' The Tiger Years ' and basically got blocked by the VHI or whatever the cartel call themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

stehyl15 wrote: »
    An english pub in ireland is not right if you've been a pub in england you've been in them all they're all kips whether a chain or independent.
    That's not true. There are some epic pubs in England, and in general they have a greater variety. Have you ever been to the Marble Arch in Manchester (and had the food never mind the beer), one of my favourite pubs of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Well than drink one of the hundreds of great english ales, porters or stouts then ffs! Try expanding your tastes instead of expecting all countries to sell Tayto and bloody Guinness (a mediocre drink)!

It was exactly that that got me drinking ales and later crafter beers in the first place... moved to england where guinness tases like crap (then i realised that "good" guinness has bugger all taste, but that's another argument! ;) )..

Spoons is always a love/hate thing.... love the great selection of beers (they're well known for supporting small local breweries) and the way you can get local beers from the other end of the country, hate the genrally bland and soulless interiors and atmosphere.

They're very much bring your own craic pubs...

As for the food, well you get what you pay for. If you're expecting fine dining for a fiver you'll be disappointed, if you're after a bit of cheap munch to keep you going you're sorted!
    A mate of mine who used to work for them told me that it was the only kitchen he'd worked in where they didn't use a knife! Practically everything came out of a bag and into a microwave...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Didn't they try to open a pub in D7 during ' The Tiger Years ' and basically got blocked by the VHI or whatever the cartel call themselves ?

AFAIK they looked at the Irish market about 8 years back but the price of property made it a non-runner. Obviously that's a very different story now.

P.S. - it's the VFI / LVA. Although I'm sure the VHI would like to put up the price of drink too! :D

Listen to Mr. Snobby there, pubs down here with watery chicken curry n chips and a choice of only Heineken, Bud, Carlsberg or Guinness for 16 euro not good enough for ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The reputation of Weatherspoon's is that they've no atmosphere etc. and they probably aren't the most lively places to spend a Friday night but when I lived in England I used to love heading into town to look around the shops and stop in for a pint and a bit of grub before heading home.

• Advertisement

The reputation of Weatherspoon's is that they've no atmosphere etc. and they probably aren't the most lively places to spend a Friday night but when I lived in England I used to love heading into town to look around the shops and stop in for a pint and a bit of grub before heading home.

Can someone explain what exactly the hell they mean by "atmosphere" and how a pub thats probably opening in Blackrock will have any more or less "atmosphere" with presumably the same catchment area as any of the others there, I don't know about you people but me and my friends make our own "atmosphere" in pubs, I've had great times in empty and full pubs alike with friends, I think you are all falling for the Bord Failte BS of Sally O Brien and all that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Spoons have no music - ever, TV's constantly showing sky news or football with no sound. Fruit machines clanging away.

Interiors tend to be wide open with minimal decoration, maximum use of space to cram tables in.

Like I say, bring your own craic! They're good for what they do a place to drink cheap and often good (if you avoid carling/heineken etc) beer. Just don't expect the best pub experience ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Treadhead wrote: »
    Spoons have no music - ever, TV's constantly showing sky news or football with no sound. Fruit machines clanging away.

Interiors tend to be wide open with minimal decoration, maximum use of space to cram tables in.

Like I say, bring your own craic! .

Reminds me of some Dublin super pubs without the range off beers the spoons will offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Cheap beer means trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Joe10000 wrote: »

No irresponsible idiots mean trouble

Joe10000 wrote: »

Temple Bar suggests otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Are Wetherspoons actually going to offer a wide range of beer here though? What if it's just the usual? Is that just me being negative?

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Are Wetherspoons actually going to offer a wide range of beer here though? What if it's just the usual? Is that just me being negative?

I'd be surprised if they didn't, their owner is a massive fan of craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is that a 2013 price?

Seems too cheap, even for JDW??

6.50 stg, unreal price.

The steak night menu that I posted earlier was 8 stg.

• Advertisement

Is that a 2013 price?

Seems too cheap, even for JDW??

6.50 stg, unreal price.

The steak night menu that I posted earlier was 8 stg.

It was yesterday. I think you probably posted the British prices.

Advertisement