Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short Term car Insurance

• 29-05-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm looking for insurance company which provide short term car insurance?
    I would like to borrow a car from friend and I need to insure it just for 2 days, can this be done in Ireland?

I fund something but uk only...
    http://www.aviva.co.uk/short-term-car-insurance/

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Most insurers will do this. I've gotten insured on my dad's car a few times for a week / two weeks. If you ring them up they should be able to sort it out.

Although Aviva (Ireland) seem to have some rule where you can only add somebody short term 2 times a year, or no more than a total of 30 days, whichever comes first. I've already been added twice which leaves me in a pickle as I need to be put on the insurance this summer for driving on holidays (myself and my dad usually share the driving).

Edit: This was on somebody else's policy, which is not what you are looking for OP, so I'm not sure! I've heard of people getting added for a day because of driving tests, etc. , but usually that's as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

The UK system is so much better, they're are loads of companies that will allow you to take out independant short term insurance from 1day - 1 year without any catches etc.

I wish the system here was the same. Why can't quinn, aviva etc just allow anyone (especially those who don't have a permanent policy) to take out a few days insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He will probably need a letter from the pope to get insured in Ireland. :p:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The UK system is so much better, they're are loads of companies that will allow you to take out independant short term insurance from 1day - 1 year without any catches etc.

I wish the system here was the same. Why can't quinn, aviva etc just allow anyone (especially those who don't have a permanent policy) to take out a few days insurance!
    They would make feck all money at it when you take all the administration into account. Also would a Garda accept a cert and disc printed out at home as evidence of insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

They would make feck all money at it when you take all the administration into account.

If the UK can manage it surely we can get something together. Most of the short tearm companies charge £30 per day inth e UK and the longer you get it for the cheaper it gets.

I've insured many a car when I was in the UK for a few weeks/month at a time
    Also would a Garda accept a cert and disc printed out at home as evidence of insurance?

This is probably why the ROI hasn't done it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I would call the friend's insurance company and ask them if they can add you to his policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 naglycd

Thanks everyone for the replies/comments. I will make a few calls tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If its for 2 days you'd be nearly as well to hire a car....

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Caddyvanman

+1 Car hire

( you'll have no problems with break downs and even better no problems if you have a prang, better than bending your friends car.)

Advertisement