Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Urgent Advice Please

• 14-11-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My partners is due to give birth on the 28th Nov. Everything was completely normal until she had a check up at the hospital last Tue. They looked at the scan and said there wasn't much water around the baby. They told her to come back in 7 days (was meant to be 14 days) and to rest up and drink lots of water. Although we were concerned we let it go as we'd be back in 7 days.

This morning (Fri) the midwife rang my partner to make sure she was ok, baby was moving, she was resting and drinking water. I was not there to talk to midwife and have tried ringing her but can't catch her. She wanted to make sure I was with her when we go next week, that she has a bag as she may be kept in for observation.

This has scared the hell out of me. Is something wrong with the baby that she needs to tell us together? Is the baby or my partner in danger? Can anybody explain what the "not much water" means?

Basically I'm up in a heap over this and and info would give me some peace of mind.

Thanks,

Nicky

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No if it was anything really bad or urgent they would have told you.
    They might want you there as they may induce or be thinking of a c section?

I hope things go well for the 3 of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Agreed. If it was urgent they'd have you in already. I can only talk from my own experience about the water. With my first my waters broke 6 weeks early so the water around the baby was reduced. The midwife told me that the water around the baby is constantly replenishing itself so it would be ok as long as they kept an eye on it and the levels remained above a certain level.

I'd say there's not much to worry about but I do think you should try to talk to the midwife for your own and your wife's peace of mind. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I wouldnt worry, the docs and nurses keep a good eye on you in this country and there is any risk they'll get your OH in.

It means that theres not as much amniotic fluid around the baby as they would expect, if it gets too low they will probably induce as the baby needs a certain amount around him/her. SHe is so near her due date that if she had to be induced baby will be fine, just get her to rest as much as she can and try not to worry:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

With both of mine I was seen every week from week 32. I agree with the other posters if they were worried they'd have had your OH in very quickly.

On my first pregnancy I was admitted several times near the end for observation as I had pre-eclampsia and as it was the hottest summer recorded there were lots more pregnant mums than normal in with odeoma

Try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Hey I was in exactly the same position except I was a couple of weeks earlier than ye, I had 6 1/2 to go. I was in under observation for a few days, mainly I think to make sure I was actually eating and drinking and resting properly. I was let out a few days later as everything was normal with the baby aside from the lower amount of fluid.

I did end up being induced but that was only part of the reason for it, the mix of high blood pressure on one visit to the doc and the low fluid did that for me.

Anyway I hope the above didn't worry you in any way as everything did turn out fine in the end, no complications whatsoever and we're all good 4 1/2 years later :D

Just make sure the eating, drinking and resting properly is happening :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement