Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical advice.

• 07-04-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi just trying to make this here

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mobile-Power-Anywhere/

to power a bass amp and a guitar amp.

I need the juice for about 2-3 hours

what size of battery do you think I would need and what type of invertor do you think I should get and what charger.

the bass amp readings are as follows: ac-230 v-50 hz 50w a-250v

the guitar amp readings are as follows : ac in230v-50hz at -10w

any advice would be of much benifit and greatly appericated.

cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First up, the inverter outputs mains voltage. It is just as lethal as a wall socket. Given that we get measurable rain one hour in three in this country it's not suitable for outdoors use, especially in a public place.

Check your guitar / amp to see if they can run off 12V or if you can get a 12V alternative.

(10W + 50W) * 3 hours / 12 Volts = 15 Amp hours.

Draining a battery to 0 is an excellent way to kill it so you need more than 15Ah

Car batteries are 30-45 AH for size comparison. DO NOT USE car batteries, they are only designed for power and don't like deep discharges at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mr. blue

First up, the inverter outputs mains voltage. It is just as lethal as a wall socket. Given that we get measurable rain one hour in three in this country it's not suitable for outdoors use, especially in a public place.

Check your guitar / amp to see if they can run off 12V or if you can get a 12V alternative.

(10W + 50W) * 3 hours / 12 Volts = 15 Amp hours.

Draining a battery to 0 is an excellent way to kill it so you need more than 15Ah

Car batteries are 30-45 AH for size comparison. DO NOT USE car batteries, they are only designed for power and don't like deep discharges at all at all.

So a deep cycle battery would do the trick eh ?

Ah ill try to make the unit as water proof as possible and I'm not going to be using it in the rain. Thanks for the knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If powered from a battery the inverter output will not be earth referenced so it's not actually as dangerous as mains as you can touch one side without risk.

Touching both will ruin your day.

Advertisement